Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

7 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Yes, the 85% is an overall statistic based upon average use. Sadly most people do not actually know the correct way to use a condom. I would be interested if most men here do. 98% effective when worn correctly is pointless when most don't.

I'm not sure that's how math works, if we're talking about 85% success rate, that's way more then 50%.

Yes, I was purposely not clear about the intent of my post. As it would have skewed the response. 

This is a discussion forum that's gotten this far from trying its best to have constructive conversations.  You don't get credit for adding to the discussion if that's not your goal.  This conversation is hard enough as it is without pouring gasoline on it, you didn't prove anything, just wasted a bunch of pages of the thread.  You want to have a serious conversation, we can do that, but be serious.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not sure that's how math works, if we're talking about 85% success rate, that's way more then 50%.

Actually, it is how stats works. When you take into consideration the number of times a single person erroneously uses. 85 men incorrectly using a condom once in a year is not equated to a single man using a condom incorrectly 85 times in 1 year.

#mathfacts

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

This is a discussion forum that's gotten this far from trying its best to have constructive conversations.  You don't get credit for adding to the discussion if that's not your goal.  This conversation is hard enough as it is without pouring gasoline on it, you didn't prove anything, just wasted a bunch of pages of the thread.  You want to have a serious conversation, we can do that, but be serious.

That is not an accurate representation of what I did or said at all. It wasn't gasoline. It was a true desire to provoke thought and to allow natural conversation to occur without someone censoring their response in a manner they would of had I said "this is just a hypothetical so you can empathize with females better". By your logic, anyone who ever took a devil's advocate stance is just gas lighting...

11 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Actually, it is how stats works. When you take into consideration the number of times a single person erroneously uses. 85 men incorrectly using a condom once in a year is not equated to a single man using a condom incorrectly 85 times in 1 year.

#mathfacts

Did some research before posting. (For a change). 

Found a one page chart from the CDC, showing contraception effectiveness. And they explain what the numbers mean. 

For male condoms, they say a failure rate of 18%. And they state that, if 100 couples use only that method of birth control, for a year, then 18 of them will experience an unplanned pregnancy. 

24 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

#mathfacts

Unless you can produce a stat that shows less then half of men know how to use a condom, its hyperlobe.  85% success rate would indicate majority of men do know how to use a condom, i don't how you see the opposite.

That is not an accurate representation of what I did or said at all. It wasn't gasoline. It was a true desire to provoke thought and to allow natural conversation to occur without someone censoring their response in a manner they would of had I said "this is just a hypothetical so you can empathize with females better". By your logic, anyone who ever took a devil's advocate stance is just gas lighting...

It had nothing to do with the OP and was intentionally done to illicit a reaction.  We call that trolling, not playing devils advocate. All you had to do was be clear how that fit into the convo and ask how we felt about it instead of trying to prove how many misogynist are in the thread.  

These convos are hard because how quickly they get personal out of nowhere.

Edited by Renegade7

As probably the only person discussing abortion to actually having one and subsquently giving birth to my daughter years later, I will tell of my experience.

My first pregnancy, I was on birth control pills and they failed. The man didn't wear a condom exercising his bodily autonomy. Neither of us wanted a child at that point. We weren't in a committed relationship and weren't in a financial position to support a child. We each paid half of the price. My best GF came with me, and that was the end of that relationship. I was happy to have the choice to exercise my bodily autonomy. And I have never forgotten that I was pregnant and I have never forgotten how grateful that I didn't have to continue to be pregnant.

My second pregnancy occurred when I wasn't using birth control due to medical issues and the father didn't use condoms ever because he didn't like them. When I realized I was pregnant at four months, it was too late for a legal abortion. So I decided to keep my daughter. During this time, when I told the father I was pregnant, he informed me that he had gotten married the previous year and his wife was pregnant too. So I never got support from him because he lived in another state, and at that time there wasn't reciprocal child support between states. He later killed himself when she was three, so never any support. I don't accept sympathy because I was able to support her myself very well. Plus I was able to live my Lesbian life without interference.

My life would have been much different had I been forced to carry the first pregnancy to term, even if I had signed up for adoption. I had a problem pregnancy the second time. Ultimately, it was my life that counted and not a collection of cells. I want every female to have the same rights of her body as I did, the choice to complete pregnancy or to terminate it. It's no one's decision but her's.

FB_IMG_1557495131036.jpg

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Unless you can produce a stat that shows less then half of men know how to use a condom, its hyperlobe.  85% success rate would indicate majority of men do know how to use a condom, i don't how you see the opposite.

Again, not how stats work. It amazes me how people can convolute things. You are forgetting a very important ingredient to these statistics. Just because a woman does not get pregnant, does not mean the condom was used correctly. There is actually a pretty small window (typically 3 days in a 28 day cycle) where a female is truly capable of becoming pregnant. Therefore the fact that she did not conceive is not then proof of correct use of contraception.

Also, real world experience  how many men have you witnessed their usage of a condom?

I remember a sex ed event at my university in which every single Male participant did it wrong. And that was without the pressure of a naked hottie laying next to them.

Now this one has gone well off topic now. This is just such a larger conversation then simple legality of abortion.

My apologies. I'll refrain from further diving down this rabbit hole!

14 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Again, not how stats work. It amazes me how people can convolute things. You are forgetting a very important ingredient to these statistics. Just because a woman does not get pregnant, does not mean the condom was used correctly. There is actually a pretty small window (typically 3 days in a 28 day cycle) where a female is truly capable of becoming pregnant. Therefore the fact that she did not conceive is not then proof of correct use of contraception.

You'd be surprised what i or other men know, my girl has an app on her phone to help her time that and her period.

Also, real world experience  how many men have you witnessed their usage of a condom?

I remember a sex ed event at my university in which every single Male participant did it wrong. And that was without the pressure of a naked hottie laying next to them.

This isn't the point, you said majority of men don't know how to use a condom and you have no evidence to prove that.  What we instead have are stats that show extremely high success rates, why even being up someone learning how to do that in high school like they are a representation of half the population? Again, hyperlobe.

Now this one has gone well off topic now. This is just such a larger conversation then simple legality of abortion.

My apologies. I'll refrain from further diving down this rabbit hole!

No harm, no foul.

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

you said majority of men don't know how to use a condom and you have no evidence to prove that. 

Always here to help.

About 75 percent of men and 82 percent of women failed to check condoms for damage before using them.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/condom-use-101-basic-errors-are-so-common-study-finds-f207925

There is a laundry list of other errors and their percentages also.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Always here to help.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/condom-use-101-basic-errors-are-so-common-study-finds-f207925

There is a laundry list of other errors and their percentages also.

That's tough, man, those other ranges are huge and inconsistent and issues are interesting to say the least, but we really putting inspecting the condom in the category of knowing how to use it?  That's really the only number that comes close to 50%, but you might as well headline the study that no one knows how to use one which you can't because wed be talking about an 70% to 80% failure rate or more and we aren't.

If we were talking more them half put it on late or don't leave room at the top, okay, i could support the argument most men don't know how to use a condom, but that's not what it said.  And i laughed when it said 23% unroll the whole thing first, i don't know who they asked i have trouble believing they were doing that consistently : )

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

we really putting inspecting the condom in the category of knowing how to use it? 

I can't speak for anyone else but I've never stopped to inspect one.  I'm usually too worried about catching the train to pound town.

46 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's really the only number that comes close to 50%

Seems like you don't understand statistics.  If 20% of people do X wrong and 20% do Y wrong, that could very well be 40% of the group.  Of course it could also be the same person doing everything wrong.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

we really putting inspecting the condom in the category of knowing how to use it?  That's really the only number that comes close to 50%, but you might as well headline the study that no one knows how to use one which you can't because wed be talking about an 70% to 80% failure rate or more and we aren't.

https://www.cdc.gov/condomeffectiveness/male-condom-use.html

Check that link....CDC indicates inspecting condom is item #4 for proper use (#1 & 2 being - use it, putting on BEFORE "the sex"). So I'd say it for sure would fall into this category.

If we were talking more them half put it on late or don't leave room at the top, okay, i could support the argument most men don't know how to use a condom, but that's not what it said.  And i laughed when it said 23% unroll the whole thing first, i don't know who they asked i have trouble believing they were doing that consistently : )

I'm noticing a trend- If you don't do it, then the statistics (which you asked for) must be wrong.

Edited by thegreaterbuzzette

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I can't speak for anyone else but I've never stopped to inspect one.  I'm usually too worried about catching the train to pound town.

Guilty, I jus pray I feel something before something goes wrong. 

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Seems like you don't understand statistics.  If 20% of people do X wrong and 20% do Y wrong, that could very well be 40% of the group.  Of course it could also be the same person doing everything wrong.

I don't like statistics because you can make them say anything you want if you know how to frame it, got a D in that class, I tried.

https://www.cdc.gov/condomeffectiveness/male-condom-use.html

Check that link....CDC indicates inspecting condom is item #4 for proper use (#1 & 2 being - use it, putting on BEFORE "the sex"). So I'd say it for sure would fall into this category.

I'm noticing a trend- If you don't do it, then the statistics (which you asked for) must be wrong.

No, I've just never equated inspecting the condom to knowing how to use it.  I expect the CDC to say it's important, but can't then say no one knows how to use one because they dont inspect it.  Both your and husband have provided links for items that are rated more important and doesn't fit your narrative, not even close.  I'll be honest, now I forget your point and how this relates to abortion.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll be honest, now I forget your point and how this relates to abortion.

This twister started because so many people seemed to be equating having sex with protection as a fail safe to not getting pregnant and therefore not needing access to abortions.

We are way off topic now - but can I suggest that if your boyfriend thinks the time to put on a condom is after ejaculation that’s clue number one you may have chosen badly.

Also we really don’t need his DNA in the gene pool. Which brings us back to the topic of this thread ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

This twister started because so many people seemed to be equating having sex with protection as a fail safe to not getting pregnant and therefore not needing access to abortions.

I wish you made that point earlier, because I thought based on what you said you felt most men didn't even know how to practice safe sex, let alone use that as an excuse to get rid of abortion.

Your making points that fit if you did better job of making clear where they fit upfront. I'm gonna stop because what I really want to hear about now is what the courts think.

Edited by Renegade7

33 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

People put it on afterwards?  

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Assume you mean safe sex. Ok, um, ok, I wish you made that point earlier, because I thought based on what you said you felt most men didn't even know how to practice safe sex, let alone use that as an excuse to get rid of abortion.

Your making points that fit if you did better job of making clear where they fit upfront. I'm gonna stop because what I really want to hear about now is what the courts think.

Huh? Sex with protection/safe sex, same thing. What are these semantics you are questioning?