Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

I really question if we will have freedom or a democracy in 10-15 years. It’s slowly eroding away. Well, it was slower before, prior to the Big Lie.  It seems to be speeding up at this point and a lot of people are disgusted about it or at least they say they are. They then will go to the polls and hit that R box because of drag queens. 

• Like 1

It's going to be interesting to see the divide at the state level more than the federal level. 

A lot of these bills are state bills, and it seems that most of the anti-abortion stuff gets voted down when it makes it to a ballot. The crazy stuff is coming from hard R states that espouse FREEDOM but seem to reduce freedom at any given chance. I'm interested to see if this makes it a purple state and how it's handled there. 

6 hours ago, GoCommiesGo said:

The crazy stuff is coming from hard R states that espouse FREEDOM but seem to reduce freedom at any given chance.

This term is both ambiguous and singular meaning at the same time.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, I noticed some time ago that the bat**** hyper partisan politics, from both sides, is what happens when the elections have been rigged so that only one party can win. 

When you create a "safe district", what you do is create a system where the only important election is the primary. And the only way the incumbent can lose, is if somebody else comes along who does a better job of catering to .....

... the kinds of people who vote in the primaries, in safe districts. 

46 minutes ago, Larry said:

Actually, I noticed some time ago that the bat**** hyper partisan politics, from both sides, is what happens when the elections have been rigged so that only one party can win. 

When you create a "safe district", what you do is create a system where the only important election is the primary. And the only way the incumbent can lose, is if somebody else comes along who does a better job of catering to .....

Yup, pretty much.  Gerrymandering is a two-pronged attack on democracy.  Weaponized to create disproportionate representation, as well as the aforementioned safe districts where a single party's primary is the real election.

8 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

How does that work. Was it illegal there in October 2021?

The incident report says the woman told medical personnel she had taken abortion pills to end a pregnancy. State law prohibits self-medication to abort a pregnancy. The fetus was stillborn and was determined to be 25 weeks and four days, according to the incident report.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article272639146.html#storylink=cpy

10 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

How does that work. Was it illegal there in October 2021?

Oh sweetie, you expect Republican lawmakers and Heritage Foundation judges to care about little things like the law, reality, the concept of time, equality under the law, etc? I think you'd have an easier time making a non-self-destructing Inator than any of that happening.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:37 PM, Larry said:

I definitely agree with this argument.  It is unfortunate that when two different trends combined (one good and one bad)--the good one was making elections more democratic (having primaries, rather than letting party bosses pick candidates) and one bad thing--having gerrymandered districts with relatively safe general elections--it definitely helped contribute to a rise in partisanship.