Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Supreme Court, and abortion.

Larry

On 9/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What this says to me is that their polling says the abortion issue is a net positive for them; otherwise he wouldn’t introduce the bill right before the elections. Not good for any reasonable person.

Or - doesn’t really impact the numbers much 

the kicker is do young people that bothered to register, actually vote. My guess is their model heavily discounts that they won’t. If they do, it all blows up for them 

Judge rules that Texas AG who ran away from being served a subpoena won't have to testify in abortion lawsuit

A judge has ruled that Attorney General Ken Paxton doesn't have to appear at a hearing on the abortion access lawsuit that he reportedly tried to run away from being served a subpoena for, CNN reported.

According to an affidavit that was first obtained by the Texas Tribune,  Ernesto Martin Herrera, a process server arrived at Paxton's home to serve him the subpoena but Paxton escaped in a truck driven by his wife, Texas state Sen. Angela Paxton. 

CNN reported that Paxton's office asked a judge to void the subpoenas arguing they were not proper and were not effectively served.

"Top executive officials should not be called to testify absent extraordinary circumstances," the motion from Judge Robert Pitman said, CNN reported.

The subpoenas required Paxton to testify at a hearing on Tuesday on a lawsuit filed by abortion rights groups. The groups are seeking protection against legal threats for helping women access abortions in other states after Texas enacted tough restrictions on abortion after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Judge rules that Texas AG who ran away from being served a subpoena won't have to testify in abortion lawsuit

A judge has ruled that Attorney General Ken Paxton doesn't have to appear at a hearing on the abortion access lawsuit that he reportedly tried to run away from being served a subpoena for, CNN reported.

According to an affidavit that was first obtained by the Texas Tribune,  Ernesto Martin Herrera, a process server arrived at Paxton's home to serve him the subpoena but Paxton escaped in a truck driven by his wife, Texas state Sen. Angela Paxton. 

CNN reported that Paxton's office asked a judge to void the subpoenas arguing they were not proper and were not effectively served.

"Top executive officials should not be called to testify absent extraordinary circumstances," the motion from Judge Robert Pitman said, CNN reported.

The subpoenas required Paxton to testify at a hearing on Tuesday on a lawsuit filed by abortion rights groups. The groups are seeking protection against legal threats for helping women access abortions in other states after Texas enacted tough restrictions on abortion after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.

We need to purge our judges.  Courts are stacked top to bottom with political or ideological hacks that don't give two ****s about the constitution.

• Like 1

Teen girl denied medication refill under AZ’s new abortion law

A 14-year-old Tucson girl was denied a refill of a life-saving prescription drug she had been taking for years just two days after Arizona’s new abortion law had taken effect.

14 year old Emma Thompson has debilitating rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis which has kept her in and out of the hospital for most of her life. She relies on methotrexate to help tame the effects of the disease.

But methotrexate can also be used to end ectopic pregnancies, to induce an abortion and that’s where the problem arises.

“As a mother who has had to deal with my child being very ill most of her life, I was scared, I was really worried,” said her mother Kaitlin Preble. “I was shaking. I was in tears. I didn’t know what to do.”

The young girl’s physician, Dr. Deborah Jane Power said “this was the first pediatric patient that had been denied her medication.”

She admits she was angry which spilled over into a Twitter post where she said “welcome to Arizona, she was denied because she’s female” and she said she was “livid.”

The treatment for Emma has been years in the making.

“This child’s care has taken a lot of work to get her to a place her pain is totally manageable, she can attend school in person,” said Dr. Power.

Which is echoed by her mother.

“It’s her first year and she’s in high school and it feels like a dream,” Preble said. “She’s not in a wheelchair, she has a social life and friends for the first time and a life all young people should have.”

Which is why there was so much anxiety for the 24 hours between being denied until finally getting the prescription approved.

“I was scared, I was really scared,” Preble said. “I’m like if they deny this then we’ll have to find a different medication and we don’t know if it’s going to work.”

Dr. Power says a refusal has happened to some older patients but never someone so young and so quickly after the territorial abortion law written in 1864 had taken effect.

Salem, Massachusetts-based The Satanic Temple sues Indiana, Idaho over abortion bans

The Satanic Temple, a Salem-based religious group, recently filed federal lawsuits over abortion bans enforced in Indiana and Idaho after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe V. Wade with the Dobbs Decision.

In the lawsuits, the temple claims more than 1.5 million members worldwide, including at least 11,300 in Indiana and 3,500 in Idaho. The suits describe the group as adhering to tenets "commonly associated with secular humanism," including empathy, the struggle for justice and respect for personal freedoms.

"(The Satanic Temple) venerates, but does not worship, the allegorical Satan described in the epic poem Paradise Lost - the defender of personal sovereignty against the dictates of religious authority," the lawsuit states.

The group also describes The Satanic Abortion ritual as a "protective rite" for the woman, intended to help them through any "notions of guilt, shame and mental discomfort." The ritual includes meditations, recitation of the temple's tenets and the abortion procedure.

In both lawsuits, the temple writes that it is advocating on behalf of female members "who are involuntarily pregnant." It also states the women "wish to remain anonymous due to the risk of violent retribution from domestic terrorists motivated by animosity to proponents of abortion."

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Planned Parenthood mobile clinic will take abortion to red-state borders

With a growing number of patients in states that now prohibit abortion traveling for the procedure, Planned Parenthood says it will soon open its first mobile abortion clinic in the country, in southern Illinois.

"Our goal is to reduce the hundreds of miles that people are having to travel now in order to access care...and meet them where they are," said Yamelsie Rodriguez, President of Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri, said in an interview with NPR.

The mobile clinic will begin offering consultations and dispensing abortion pills later this year. It will operate within Illinois, where abortion remains legal, but will be able to travel closer to neighboring states' borders, reducing the distance many patients travel for the procedure.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Utah GOP Rep. John Curtis on abortion: ‘I wish women could make this decision’

Rep. John Curtis (R-Utah) said on Thursday that he wishes “women could make this decision” while discussing abortion laws in the state.

“I wish, as a man, I didn’t have to make this decision,” Curtis said at a debate on Thursday night. “I wish women could make this decision.”

The candidate, who also said he identifies as “unapologetically pro-life,” earned a shocked reaction from his Democratic opponent, Glenn Wright, over the comment.

jiFfM.jpg

• Haha 1