Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Brexit Thread

No Excuses

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 1:36 PM, The Sisko said:

The Cold War is over. Russia won. Hands down.

How?  Communism is pretty much gone, an uppercut 30 years later doesn't change the final score.

USSR is gone and what's left of Russia has a declining population, a failed COVID response, and an oil market getting it's ass kicked.

Having Trump in office helped go make sure the pandemic got out of control, that's that uppercut coming back to haunt them, and one day history will ask if it was worth it, not that they won.

• Like 1

Looked at from the standpoint of doctrine, I agree with you. However, looked at from the standpoint of freedom, it's a losing proposition all over the world. The interesting thing is the similarity in M.O. between so many countries e.g. Russia, China, the U.S., India and many of the former Eastern Block countries. Russia lost communism, China gave it up in everything but name only and the U.S. has freedom in name only. The common denominator is that they've all either become or gotten further entrenched as nationalist oligarchies. Yes, that's 180 degrees away from communism, but the end result is the same, i.e. a small cabal of super rich and powerful people run the country like their own personal piggy bank while everyone else is either schtupped or worried they're on the path to it. I get that for most of its existence, this country has been an oligarchy. However, I foolishly thought that we'd put that behind us. Silly rabbit.🙁

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Looked at from the standpoint of doctrine, I agree with you. However, looked at from the standpoint of freedom, it's a losing proposition all over the world. The interesting thing is the similarity in M.O. between so many countries e.g. Russia, China, the U.S., India and many of the former Eastern Block countries. Russia lost communism, China gave it up in everything but name only and the U.S. has freedom in name only. The common denominator is that they've all either become or gotten further entrenched as nationalist oligarchies. Yes, that's 180 degrees away from communism, but the end result is the same, i.e. a small cabal of super rich and powerful people run the country like their own personal piggy bank while everyone else is either schtupped or worried they're on the path to it. I get that for most of its existence, this country has been an oligarchy. However, I foolishly thought that we'd put that behind us. Silly rabbit.🙁

It's not over yet, this is a conversation as old as civilization, it wasn't going to end that easy.

Maybe I'm the optimist, but the Trump administration is looking more and more like a last gasp of many of the worst aspects of our country having the steering wheel.

Now if the country keeps flip-flopping between Democracy and Authoritarianism, then one day it will land there and might not flip back.  Im not convinced thats where we are right now, the switch will flip back and then we see where we at.

China is the model for authoritarianism with a powerful economy, but its still export dominate and cheating in ways even other authoritarian governments don't approve of, like Saudi Arabia.

Another cold war (but between US and China) might not be as simple of freedom vs tryanny when even even the tryants are getting bullied by the biggest bully on the block.

Edited by Renegade7

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tesco announces it is STOCKPILING for No Deal: Supermarket boss sparks Christmas panic buying fears for families amid chaotic scenes at ports already hit by covid delays

Tesco was today accused of 'grossly irresponsible scaremongering' and encouraging pre-Christmas panic-buying after announcing they are stockpiling in case of a No Deal Brexit as Covid-19 strangled imports of Christmas presents via the UK's snarled-up ports.

Britain's biggest retailer is building up stores of long-life food such as pasta or tins and has warned of months of fresh food shortages in 2021 as Boris Johnson struggles to find a way through the deadlock in trade negotiations with Brussels.

John Allan, the chairman of Tesco, believes the average shopping bill could go up five per cent and also claimed French cheeses like brie could be 40 per cent more expensive if there is no EU trade deal. But critics have said there is plenty of British brie to eat and the UK is already importing 20 per cent less cheese from abroad every year.

Click on the link for the full article

Brexit: Tentative progress made as EU hints at concessions

What does it mean in Brexit trade deal terms "to go the extra mile"?

That's the distance the UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, and the European Commission chief, Ursula von der Leyen, have promised to travel over the next days.

But will the road take them to deal or no-deal? And who will compromise on what to get there?

EU contacts close to the talks say both sides are being constructive. They insist negotiations aren't simply continuing because neither the EU, nor the government want to be blamed in a no-deal scenario and prefer not to walk away first.

"We're carrying on talking because no-deal is a big deal," one EU contact told me. "We think it will have a dramatic impact on lives and livelihoods. As long as talks aren't going backwards, it would be irresponsible not to give this a chance."

The now-infamous three main sticking points are still open, with tentative progress being made, we hear.

We understand:

1) On fishing rights, EU whispers suggest a kick-the-can, down-the-road fudged compromise might be found (though not settled yet), involving considerable European concessions

2) The governance of the overall deal is being worked on in detail. Still to be agreed: what actions could be slapped with which sanctions, and who decides

3) Competition regulations - aka the level playing field - are still a big issue

Alongside technical talks, both sides say political intervention will certainly still be needed.

Click on the link for the full article