Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help! Defaulted Student Loans (and other debt fun)

Rdskn4Lyf21

I cannot figure how they arrive at the conclusion that “plumbers from Ohio” are the ones footing the bill.  

The tax rates are what they are.  The government already has the money.  It’s allocation of existing resources.  It’s gotta go somewhere and it’s not like they support any alternatives.  Let’s do a little something to help the cost of living for the middle class this time instead of bombing brown kids and lining the pockets of billionaires.

The horror.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

I cannot figure how they arrive at the conclusion that “plumbers from Ohio” are the ones footing the bill.  

The tax rates are what they are.  The government already has the money.  It’s allocation of existing resources.  It’s gotta go somewhere and it’s not like they support any alternatives.  Let’s do a little something to help the cost of living for the middle class this time instead of bombing brown kids and lining the pockets of billionaires.

The horror.

I’m old enough to remember 10 years ago the GOP position was that plumbers and other blue collar workers don’t pay taxes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That has gotta be the single most gangster thing the Biden admin has done. 

image.gif.602a95102cfe1a9609327bf3f9031fd9.gif

I don't know if people realize how smart this play at this time was.  By doing this now, come November the GOP will be in court trying to overturn this.  It will make great commercials about how the GOP is trying to take money from poor people.

Are.....are the Dems actually learning how to fight?

*I say all that as someone who is against this loan forgiveness thing.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, visionary said:

???????

Dip****s are gonna dip****.

53 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

I don't know if people realize how smart this play at this time was.  By doing this now, come November the GOP will be in court trying to overturn this.  It will make great commercials about how the GOP is trying to take money from poor people.

Are you also against forgiven PPP loans, corporate bailouts and subsidies, tax loopholes, etc etc etc?

If you are, that’s cool.  Otherwise, what’s wrong with doing something to help people instead of companies for a change?  Is it this specific cause rather than another?  Genuinely asking.

2 hours ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Why you against loan forgiveness

Even the Washington Post came out against this.  Sheesh... no one ever claims that tax cuts for the rich are inflationary.  I have never seen such backlash against policy.  It wouldn't even surprise me if half the people eligible don't take advantage of it. 

Yet, $400 Billion in PPP loans were forgiven. 

They mad because corporations don't have college debt?  Seriously... thou doth protesth tooeth mucheth... 

I am really glad other people are getting this benefit.  I am also glad when people got the expanded childcare tax credits and refunds and even when those people weren't me.  But when a bunch of corporations (like WaPo).are upset about $10k in loan forgiveness and tax cuts are a gift that keep giving every year... my political spidey senses go up.

• Like 1

image.png.11ece875d9540d84744fd7b73d31f4f7.png

59 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The organization itself via an official statement or one of their opinion columnist?

The editorial board...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/24/biden-student-loan-forgiveness-mistake/

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

Also from the Post. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/24/student-loan-forgiveness-suffering-satire/

Stop improving things right now! Everyone must suffer as I did!

DISGUSTING! AWFUL! I have just received word that life is getting marginally better for some people, and I am white-hot with fury! This is the worst thing that could possibly happen! I did not suffer and strive and work my fingers to the bone so that anybody else could have a life that does not involve suffering and striving and the working of fingers to the bone. I demand to see only bones and no fingers!

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night thrashing because I have had the nightmare again, the nightmare in which someone else is being spared a small hint of the suffering I endured. The world should not get better! The world should get worse along with me and perish along with me.

Every time anyone’s life improves at all, I personally am insulted. Any time anyone devises a labor-saving device, or passes some kind of weak, soft-hearted law that forecloses the opportunity for a new generation of children to lose fingers in dangerous machinery, I gnash my teeth. This is an affront to everyone who struggled so mightily. To avoid affronting them, we must keep everything just as bad as ever. Put those fingers back into the machines, or our suffering will have been in vain.

More at link. 

4 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I have never seen such backlash against policy.

I mean, the GOP knows that this is going to help 40 million Americans, all of voting age, about 3 months before an election.  The GOP had to come out against this very good thing as hard as possible and try to convince people that it is, in fact, screwing them over unless they are receiving the benefit directly.  The GOP has to  pit Americans against each other because if the only people that care about this are the people that receive the benefit, that will be VERY VERY bad for the GOP's election prospects.  This is why the GOP keeps saying "oh, all the benefit is going to rich doctors and lawyers."  How many doctors and lawyers make less than $125k a year???  Not many, and the ones that do work in the public interest and are exactly the people whose loans should be forgiven.   This is also why basically every GOP mouthpiece has very publicly come out against this, even when they themselves have had much larger government loans forgiven in the very near past. 

• Like 2