Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gun Control Debate Thread

Dont Taze Me Bro

Solidly on the fence. :)

Edit:  Also, I find it hard to believe that someone could be both unaware of who Wayne LaPierre is and actually be "gun informed."  He is the most famous and effective gun rights advocate in history.  

Thanks!

I'm really bad with names.  I knew I had heard it but couldn't place it.  As soon as I hit search and his face popped up, I knew who it was.

The functional benefit to an AR style is mainly the modular design.  It is much easier to change, repair, and upgrade parts.  Plus you can add neat little flashlights and freakin' lasers!

Yes, i was going to add Grown Man's Barbie to the list of nicknames for the AR, but thought that would be taken the wrong way (i.e., not in jest.  

• Like 2

Good post.  I also think that labeling it the "Scary Looking Weapons Ban" is a self-defeating argument.  If the only difference is cosmetic, then, given the fact that they are the guns of choice for mass shooters, why is it so important that they remain freely available?  They aren't any more functional or useful, after all.

Not sure I'd be so quick to label them as "the guns of choice for mass shooters".  Although it does seem like we've seen several, lately.  But the impression I have is that they're still relatively rare. 

No. It isn't. I just pointed at an example of how the term has been used to refer to all clip-fed pistols, since they were invented.

This notion that "automatic" can only be properly used to refer to machine guns is a recent phenomenon.

The weapon that Captain America used to shoot Nazis was an "Army automatic".  Not an "Army semi-automatic"  When my dad and brother took me to the trap range, there were three kinds of weapons used:  "Over and under", "Pump", and "Automatic".  Not "Semi-automatic". 

Right.  And fag still means cigarette.  Definitions change with time.  In the gun world, automatic weapon has meant one thing for a long time.

Not sure I'd be so quick to label them as "the guns of choice for mass shooters".  Although it does seem like we've seen several, lately.  But the impression I have is that they're still relatively rare. 

Did you click on the link I imbedded in that post?  

The AR-15 is synonymous with the shootings in San Bernardino, Calif., Aurora, Colo., and Newtown, Conn.

I think that is 4 of the 5 worst in the past 20 years (Va Tech being the other).

Edited by PleaseBlitz

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/politics/david-petraeus-mark-kelly-gun-control/index.html

David Petraeus, Mark Kelly launch gun control group

Retired U.S. Army Gen. David Petraeus, who has long resisted calls to run for political office, is teaming up with retired NASA astronaut Mark Kelly to create a new group urging greater gun control.

The two announced on Friday that they were launching Veterans Coalition for Common Sense to encourage elected leaders to "do more to prevent gun tragedies." The group will feature veterans from every branch of the military who are urging lawmakers to toughen gun laws, the organization said in a news release.

"As service members, each of us swore an oath to protect our Constitution and the homeland. Now we're asking our leaders to do more to protect our rights and save lives," said Kelly, the husband of former Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and co-founder of Americans for Responsible Solutions, a group that advocates for tougher gun laws.

"Gabby and I are grateful to all of these incredible veterans and leaders who are using their voice to call for commonsense change that makes our communities safer," he added. Petraeus isn't quoted in the release.

Edited by visionary

This notion that "automatic" can only be properly used to refer to machine guns is a recent phenomenon.

I said that both terms are technically correct and that automatic can refer to both fully and semi.  But today, "automatic" alone is mainly used to describe fully automatic firearms.  And that description has been around for a while to describe them.  Not just recently.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

i'd stay away from machine gun. that's a weird term that means different things to lots of people. some people even refer to an automatic pistol as a machine pistol.

automatic = continuous firing of bullets with a single trigger pull

burst = firings more than one, but not continuously, with a single trigger pull. i think most commonly 3 bullets per pull. i believe this is also illegal w/o a special, federal permit.

semi-automatic - when you pull the trigger, the gun loads and prepares the next round for you. hell, by the actual definition, most revolvers these days are also semi-automatic. they cycle and load the next round for you. they just don't eject the spent casing.

well, is the gun automatic?

no, it's not.

it's semi-automatic.

Then it's automatic.

The M1911 is an automatic pistol. So is the "German Lugar". (And, I suppose, by extension, Han Solo's blaster.)

Actually, let's be even more clear. 

Pick a scene from a movie, more than 20 years ago.  Insert a line in the dialog, that says "He had an automatic". 

What are the odds that they're describing something like an M1911?  And what are the odds they're describing a Tommy gun? 

The former is an automatic.  The latter is a machine gun. 

automatic = continuous firing of bullets with a single trigger pull

According to the new definition that's just become popular, by one side of the gun control debate, for the last 5-10 years.

Sorry. I'm conservative. I don't change the definitions of words just because political groups tell me to.

Then it's automatic.

The M1911 is an automatic pistol. So is the "German Lugar". (And, I suppose, by extension, Han Solo's blaster.)

Actually, let's be even more clear. 

Pick a scene from a movie, more than 20 years ago.  Insert a line in the dialog, that says "He had an automatic". 

What are the odds that they're describing something like an M1911?  And what are the odds they're describing a Tommy gun? 

The former is an automatic.  The latter is a machine gun. 

More than 20 years ago........LOL  Just let it go Larry.  For a long while now, automatic has been used to refer to fully automatic weapons almost exclusively.  Even though technically both fully and semi are "automatic".

I know you love to argue and all, but geez.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Right.  And fag still means cigarette.  Definitions change with time.  In the gun world, automatic weapon has meant one thing for a long time.

How long? Five years? Ten? Cause it sure as **** didn't mean that, 20 years ago.

Good post.  I also think that labeling it the "Scary Looking Weapons Ban" is a self-defeating argument.  If the only difference is cosmetic, then, given the fact that they are the guns of choice for mass shooters, why is it so important that they remain freely available?  They aren't any more functional or useful, after all.

they are easier to accessorize....gotta have the bling 

ar-swiss_ar.jpg

I think they have no soul

Larry is there a reason you are just flat ignoring the several of us that have pointed out to you what the definition is in the recent time?

The fact that it wasn't until spending 20 posts on it that any of you were willing to admit that it's a recent change?

How long? Five years? Ten? Cause it sure as **** didn't mean that, 20 years ago.

Well I'm 34.  I would say ever since I can remember guns being a part of my life which would mean at least 20 years.  Maybe you aren't as involved in the gun world so you just weren't aware?  Think of it like a bunch of baseball fans using the term holding instead of pass interference.  Is it possible you just didn't know any better?