Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Budget Fight: FY2016 Shutdown

Fergasun

so what's the latest? am i going to work on thursday?

Odds are, yes.

Senate likely to vote today on the CR. They voted yesterday to advance the CR to a vote (again, likely to happen today).

http://federalnewsradio.com/congress/2015/09/senate-backs-continuing-resolution-to-avoid-shutdown/

So Dems status quo is funding forever once spending is approved?

serious question

added

and furthermore that funding must be directed to the same organization?

Serious answer, yes unless there is a sunset on the funds written into the spending bill and/or there is a demand (again, by the required amount of votes) to change funding. Right now, there is no demand to change federal funding of PP. And shutting down the federal government over a trivial issue is irresponsible. 

Now..which semantics ↑↑↑ do you want to key in on to further this line of goalpost moving?

So Dems status quo is funding forever once spending is approved?

serious question

added

and furthermore that funding must be directed to the same organization?

uhm.... did you or did you not just basically exactly DEFINE the term "continuing resolution" there.

If you want to argue whether or not the only reason they are doing a CR instead of an actual budget (you know...where they actually talk about spending levels for individual specific programs)   is because the irritating brinkmanship from the #TeaPartyAnnoyingButtHoles...?  then maybe you would have a discussion   (but you would lose that discussion, also)

uhm.... did you or did you not just basically exactly DEFINE the term "continuing resolution" there.

Haven't most continuing resolutions included changes to funding lately?

I think I'd win that bet 

Odds are, yes.

Senate likely to vote today on the CR. They voted yesterday to advance the CR to a vote (again, likely to happen today).

http://federalnewsradio.com/congress/2015/09/senate-backs-continuing-resolution-to-avoid-shutdown/

Serious answer, yes unless there is a sunset on the funds written into the spending bill and/or there is a demand (again, by the required amount of votes) to change funding. Right now, there is no demand to change federal funding of PP. And shutting down the federal government over a trivial issue is irresponsible. 

Now..which semantics ↑↑↑ do you want to key in on to further this line of goalpost moving?

Link to the vote. 

This was a cloture vote.  (Meaning it was filibustered).  (Also meaning, this wasn't a vote to pass the measure, only to end the filibuster)

Notable (Presidential candidate) votes:  (A no vote would have maimtained the filibuster)

Cruz:  No

Paul:  No

Rubio: Did not vote 

ya could just say yes

forever

Ya could just not try to invent your own definitions for words.

Note that neither the words "Democrat" nor "forever" are in that definition. (As you well knew, when you tried to claim that they were. Twice, now.)

Ya could just not try to invent your own definitions for words.

Note that neither the words "Democrat" nor "forever" are in that definition. (As you well knew, when you tried to claim that they were. Twice, now.)

they were in my post

add

is this gonna be status quo for the Dems?

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/254968-faa-extension-dropped-from-new-senate-funding-bill

FAA extension dropped from new Senate funding bill

House Republicans advance bill to undo health law

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Republicans advanced legislation Tuesday to dismantle President Barack Obama's health law that could actually reach the president's desk.

The House GOP has voted more than 50 times to repeal all or parts of the health law. Almost all the bills died in the Senate.

But this time, Republicans are using a special process that prevents Senate Democrats from blocking the legislation. Obama can still veto it, but the vote could provide a blueprint for dismantling the law if Republicans retake the White House in 2016.

Under Senate rules, minority Democrats can block most legislation because it requires 60 votes to advance a bill, and Republicans have only 54 senators. Under the special process, called reconciliation, the Senate can pass legislation with just 51 votes.

Reconciliation is limited to certain tax and spending measures, so Republicans can't use it to repeal the entire health law. But they can gut it.

Senate Democrats used the process of reconciliation to pass part of health care law in 2010.

Republicans say they are working to repeal the most unpopular parts of the law, which was enacted without a single Republican vote.

Democrats note that official congressional estimates say that gutting the law will result in 15 million fewer people with health insurance by 2025.

"By tearing down many of the worst parts of the law — like forcing people to buy insurance only to later tax them for it — we could stop Obamacare in its tracks and start working toward a more affordable, higher-quality, patient-centered system," said Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.

Ryan said he would like to repeal the entire law. But added, "This is our best shot at getting a bill on the president's desk."

"

Really...we're still doing this ACA thing?  Like, seriously?

Holy crap, give it up.

Like, real talk, if I took a shot every time the House voted to defund the ACA, I'd probably never sober up.

It really is pathetic at this point. Well, we failed 50 times, but maybe the 51st will be different!

I also call bull**** on Paul Ryan's quote above. In essence, get rid of the ACA, and we can then find something better! Well, how about Republicans give us some concrete ideas for a better system, backed up by valid statistics. If there's something better, educate us. Show us why it's better, and let's go from there.

I'd love for a candidate to come up with a great single-payer system. That would be an upgrade over the ACA. Of course, I doubt healthcare lobbyists would let that one through.

In regards to the topic at hand, if my memory serves me, a great percentage of those polled felt that Republicans were at fault for the last government shutdown. Shutting down the government again over PP funding would be tantamount to a self-inflected gunshot wound, IMO.

Wow - I don't read the Congressional Record that much anymore.  I read Ted Cruz's speech after the vote on the CR.  I completely lambasted GOP leadership.  It would not surprise me if GOP lifts no finger in getting him re-elected and his seat goes to a Democrat.

The one thing I would say to him is: if you are so high, mighty and up against "K-Street Lobbyists" why don't you start naming them. 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/30/senate-approves-temporary-spending-bill/

Senate approves temporary spending bill; House to follow

The Senate voted Wednesday to fund federal operations through Dec. 11, pressuring the House to follow suit before a midnight deadline to avert a government shutdown.

Thirty-two Republicans and 46 members of the Democratic caucus teamed to pass the continuing resolution, or “CR,” on a 78-20 vote, buying several weeks for top congressional leaders and the White House to strike a potential deal on spending.

From the Economist:

The madness resumes

A row over abortion is giving a group of Republican congressmen an excuse to sabotage the government
Sep 26th 2015 | From the print edition
Timekeeper 

TO UNDERSTAND why some people are incapable of learning from their mistakes, neuroscientists in Albuquerque, New Mexico, scanned the brains of 96 convicts. In repeat offenders, they discovered, an obscure quarter of the brain known as the anterior cingulate cortex was barely active. It would be interesting to carry out the experiment on the 40-odd Republican congressmen, members of the self-styled Freedom Caucus, who are aching for a fight with Barack Obama over the budget. If they have their way, past fights suggest, the result will be a funding crisis leading, from October 1st, to the closure of all non-essential government departments, misery for millions, damage to the economy and a further loss of trust in America’s democratic institutions, starting with the congressmen’s own party.

Mainstream Republicans are appalled. “Some of those advocating a shutdown are saying they are doing so out of conservative principle, but that’s a strange definition of it,” says Charlie Dent, a Republican congressman from Pennsylvania. “Conservatives are about discipline, order, control, stability, temperance, not instability, disorder, intemperance and uncertainty.” The trouble is, Tea Party types such as Mr [Jim] Jordan are strange conservatives. They consider conflict with Mr Obama their mission, conflict with their party bosses a secondary duty, and shutting down the government to be possibly no bad thing, given its potential to slim the state. In the bitterly polarised districts they represent—in a country where four-fifths of congressional districts offer no real prospect of a contest between the parties—voters are similarly convinced of these things, which is why there is in fact a deal of self-interest in the Freedom Caucus’s wrecking job. If their house must fall, its members are determined to survive amid the wreckage.

From Predicto's link: 

That was not a rational ambition, as Jim Jordan, a Republican congressman from Ohio, unwittingly intimated when he predicted that the Democrats would “find Jesus and do the right thing”. The ensuing shutdown lasted three weeks, cost an estimated $24 billion in lost output and most Americans blamed the Republicans; during the crisis they had the worst ratings of either party for over two decades. Yet Mr Jordan, undaunted, says that if Mr Boehner, whose pragmatism has made him hated on the right of his party, would only embrace this latest proposal, it would sail through Congress: “If we call the president on this, we have a chance to win.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/sep/30/senate-approves-temporary-spending-bill/

House passes funding bill, averting government shutdown

The House approved a stopgap spending bill Wednesday to fund federal operations for 10 more weeks, clearing the bill for President Obama’s signature with several hours to spare before a midnight deadline to keep the government open.

The continuing resolution, or “CR,” passed on a 277-151 vote, buoyed by Democratic lawmakers who joined Republicans willing to ignore conservative calls to reject the bill because it left Planned Parenthood unharmed despite controversy over its abortion practice.

Oh boy, another fight set for December?

Get ready for another fight over PP.  Take a shot every time someone mentions PP aborting Jesus.

From Predicto's link: 

Well, I don't know about other Democrats, but it'd be tough for Obama to "find Jesus," seeing as he's a Muslim extremist and all.

/s to all you NSA dudes and dudettes out there.

Boehner probably warned his congressional cohorts. Pass it. In a few weeks I'll be out of Congress and have no reason to keep my mouth shut if you don't.

My theory is more along the lines of "What are you gonna do to me, fire me? I already turned in my notice."

Now, I wonder what was used to get the votes of those other 90 Republicans. Aren't they scared they'll be primaried?

Oh boy, another fight set for December?

Heck, we may not have to wait till then.

I think Predicto's link says that the debt ceiling is coming up, soon. Just think of the fireworks we can have, over that.

I love reading the Congressional Record for the "half truths" the partisans lob at each other.

McConnell was upset because Democratic Senators stopped working on getting bipartisan appropriations bills to the floor, even bills that had widespread support in committee. He failed to mention that the GOP was intent on lifting defense spending caps imposed by sequestration and Democrats want to lift caps on non-defense spending.

Reid pretty much was telling the truth in his remarks.

I suppose the GOP feels good about keeping PP at the forefront of debate. Seems like only 3% of their funding goes to abortions, and none of the states that investigated found any criminal wrongdoing.

This is all being done while they are lifting sequestration caps -- the intent of sequestration was to force a "big budget compromise" which included "non discretionary spending".

Seems like only 3% of their funding goes to abortions

you could at least get the Dem talking points correct :P .

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/09/29/rep_lummis_to_planned_parenthood_you_say_3_of_procedures_are_abortions_yet_86_of_your_revenue_is_from_abortions.html

Lummis quizzed Richards how abortion is only 3% of Planned Parenthood's services while it garners an overwhelming amount of revenue for the non-profit.

"So abortion is included in surgical services. But I want to find out where you get your 3% figure that you cite for abortion procedures. That's your self-reported abortion statistic," Lummis said.

"It is 3% of all the procedures we provide," Richards responded. "All the services we provide."

"Let's talk about Planned Parenthood revenue from abortions. If you look at the 2013 statistics that you report, abortions revenue would have been over 86% of your non-government revenue. How do you explain this massive disparity between the amount of revenue you collect from abortion and the fact that you only report 3% of your services being abortion?" Lummis asked

"Well, I think there's two questions you sort of mixed in there so let me try to address both," Richards answered. "One is, as we've already stated, federal money does not go for abortions. So the federal portion that we were discussing is reimbursement for preventive care services."

"Let's talk about Planned Parenthood revenue from abortions. If you look at the 2013 statistics that you report, abortions revenue would have been over 86% of your non-government revenue. How do you explain this massive disparity between the amount of revenue you collect from abortion and the fact that you only report 3% of your services being abortion?" Lummis asked

"Well, the simplest answer is because you're comparing apples and oranges, in at attempt to paint a false picture."

Archived