Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is just wrong.

Springfield

They actually have VA state troopers with sensors, not looking to stop speeders, only looking to catch people trying exactly what you suggested. My co-worker received a $120 fine because a trooper saw his HOV was on his ezpass, but he was driving alone. 

so it is now the job of VA state troopers to enforce the profit maximization of an Australian Corporation?

I suspect you guys are talking about the Dulles Greenway and not the Dulles Toll Road (which was VDOT funded and built).

The Greenway is a win/win for the VSP. All ticket revenues go back to the State AND they are funded by the Greenway to begin with to patrol the Greenway. 

edit..and again, before someone lumps me in with the Lexus lanes crowd, I personally hate privately built/owned toll roads. 

Aren't those fines for missed toll payments (and late fees for not repaying them) and not for traffic violations?

That is what I was referring to in my first post in this thread, and the reason why I refuse to use the express lanes. Their sensors are unreliable, and often don't pick up your ezpass. Instead of fixing their ****ty equipment, you get sent a bill for whatever cost passing that sensor was, and a $20 admin fee. It's bull****. They double the admin fee monthly if you refuse to pay. A Bethesda resident was taken to court for thousands of dollars in fines, but like $12 in actual toll cost due to their equipment failure.

Earlier this year this happened to me, I called them and they outlined this convoluted process to prove I had an ezpass and there was money in the account. I referred them to the same letter they sent me, which a picture of my car passing the sensor, and you could clearly see my ezpass attached to the windshield. They dropped the administrative fees (which were up to about $200 at that point), and just charged me the $3.50 from my ezpass account. This summer it's seemed like every time I took the express lanes I would receive a letter claiming I tried to get over on them. Now they won't show the whole picture of your car, just your license plate. I guess it's easier to not reveal that you refuse to acknowledge my ezpass is displayed on the vehicle and your equipment failed, then going out there and actually fixing the sensors.

That is what I was referring to in my first post in this thread, and the reason why I refuse to use the express lanes. Their sensors are unreliable, and often don't pick up your ezpass. Instead of fixing their ****ty equipment, you get sent a bill for whatever cost passing that sensor was, and a $20 admin fee. It's bull****. They double the admin fee monthly if you refuse to pay. A Bethesda resident was taken to court for thousands of dollars in fines, but like $12 in actual toll cost due to their equipment failure.

and more

That's a shady process. I wonder why the EZ pass isn't registered to the vehicle (or vehicles) license plates on the account?

That way, any time the vehicle passes the sensors and they take a photo of the license plate - they can charge the account tied to it if the EZ pass doesn't register. 

At least, that's how it works here on toll bridges in California. 

$18 is BS.  At that point, it's just a service for people with more money than brains.  $2 or $3 is something that just about anybody can afford, they should keep it at that level.

The thing is if it's up to $18 you can bet that due to an accident or construction, there is probably a multi-mile back-up in the main lanes.  Those are the times I will gladly pay.  If it's a couple bucks I just keep on keepin on in the main lanes.

The thing is if it's up to $18 you can bet that due to an accident or construction, there is probably a multi-mile back-up in the main lanes. Those are the times I will gladly pay. If it's a couple bucks I just keep on keepin on in the main lanes.

But that doesn't make it okay.

The thing is if it's up to $18 you can bet that due to an accident or construction, there is probably a multi-mile back-up in the main lanes. Those are the times I will gladly pay. If it's a couple bucks I just keep on keepin on in the main lanes.

I think folks are missing the point that it costs that much when it is worth the most. I.e. pay more when you are saving the most time

I think folks are missing the point that it costs that much when it is worth the most. I.e. pay more when you are saving the most time

That way, more people will use it and they will make more money. It's like when Katrina hit and gas stations hiked their prices up to $5.00 per gallon (when the average price was closer to $2.00 pre Katrina). When demand for a product goes up, you raise the price. Don't want to drive, don't buy gas for $5.00 a gallon.

If I get on a HOT lane, I'm using it regardless of price.

The thing is if it's up to $18 you can bet that due to an accident or construction, there is probably a multi-mile back-up in the main lanes.  Those are the times I will gladly pay.  If it's a couple bucks I just keep on keepin on in the main lanes.

But is the goal of the state to alleviate traffic congestion or to make the most money?

follow the thread and you may be able to get it. ..or maybe not

Oh I get it...

People are pissed that VA "sold out" and let a company build them a road that would help eleviate traffic. That private company is in the business of making money and not a charitable foundation, so they want to get their money back and make a profit until the agreement expires. So, they use the supply and demand model...

So I say again...what's the problem? That's part of capitalism. Your elected officials needed a way to build a road that would help traffic...they didn't have the money to do that. They found a way, but at a cost. At least ya got your road. It's not their fault you have a different cost in your mind for convienince. As it was said before...if it were free, you'd still have traffic issues, only now you'd have more lanes of it.

That's a shady process. I wonder why the EZ pass isn't registered to the vehicle (or vehicles) license plates on the account?

That way, any time the vehicle passes the sensors and they take a photo of the license plate - they can charge the account tied to it if the EZ pass doesn't register. 

At least, that's how it works here on toll bridges in California.

Yes, that is the way it should work. But they never contact the right ezpass company. There is a completely different ezpass company per state. Because I live in md with a md ezpass, yet work in VA I've realized they never check with the ezpass md company to charge my account when the sensors fail.

But is the goal of the state to alleviate traffic congestion or to make the most money?

It looks like their answer is make the most money, considering we have the worst traffic congestion in the country.

Oh I get it...

People are pissed that VA "sold out" and let a company build them a road that would help eleviate traffic. That private company is in the business of making money and not a charitable foundation, so they want to get their money back and make a profit until the agreement expires. So, they use the supply and demand model...

So I say again...what's the problem? That's part of capitalism. Your elected officials needed a way to build a road that would help traffic...they didn't have the money to do that. They found a way, but at a cost. At least ya got your road. It's not their fault you have a different cost in your mind for convienince. As it was said before...if it were free, you'd still have traffic issues, only now you'd have more lanes of it.

Virginia still spent $400 mil on these lanes. Not only that but they're responsible for whatever profit transurban doesn't make. I have no clue how they thought this would be a good idea? Not to mention this doesn't alleviate traffic in anyway and Virginia can't do anything about that for at least 75 years.

I'm still blown away that some people actually think this was a good deal for the people of NOVA.

I agree with the people people saying the Corps run this country.  I've been saying that for a long time.  What kills me is the people that clamor for unfettered markets and free capitalism when actually faced with the results sometimes are not very happy.  Better get used to it Corps are people after all. ;)

BTW - I believe the suggestion that the tolls are low when non-toll lanes are congested is incorrect. The idea behind variable toll pricing is that the tolls are low when no one is using the toll lanes and high when they (the toll lanes) are more congested.

Variable tolling is a method to control flow in toll lanes.

Hence the "55mph guarantee."

Archived