Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is just wrong.

Springfield

Capitalism at it's finest. Why have the govt pay to build a road when you can have a private company pay for it and then gouge the **** out of consumers forever.

Oh and for all you people that can't afford to use these lanes? Well traffic is still going to suck for you while we're constructing them. But **** you, you don't have any money so we don't care.

I love the dynamic tolls.  What that sign means is it is going to cost you $18 to not lose your entire afternoon stuck in traffic.  I'd prefer to have the option.  Essentially, the higher the cost, the more likely i am to pay it, not the other way around.  If it says $2.00, it's probably not going to save me any time.  

I love the dynamic tolls.  What that sign means is it is going to cost you $18 to not lose your entire afternoon stuck in traffic.  I'd prefer to have the option.  Essentially, the higher the cost, the more likely i am to pay it, not the other way around.  If it says $2.00, it's probably not going to save me any time.  

What happens when people not paying jump into the $2 lane and the $2 people jump into the $18 lane to pass some traffic to merge back over?  How would they even be able to police that or prevent it from happening.  Cause you know it will happen.  Just like people that jump into the HOV lane with only them in the car.  

What happens when people not paying jump into the $2 lane and the $2 people jump into the $18 lane to pass some traffic to merge back over?  How would they even be able to police that or prevent it from happening.  Cause you know it will happen.  Just like people that jump into the HOV lane with only them in the car.  

Well, they have the dividers that mark up your car.

1301111pic1.gif

Capitalism at it's finest. Why have the govt pay to build a road when you can have a private company pay for it and then gouge the **** out of consumers forever.

Oh and for all you people that can't afford to use these lanes? Well traffic is still going to suck for you while we're constructing them. But **** you, you don't have any money so we don't care.

Taxes were used on it. We were sold on a way of reducing congestion.

Should be the opposite. The more congested it is, the lower the price should be. Sway people to use it and reduce congestion.

Instead it just serves as another way the rich can seperate themselves from thd plebians.

I love the dynamic tolls. What that sign means is it is going to cost you $18 to not lose your entire afternoon stuck in traffic. I'd prefer to have the option. Essentially, the higher the cost, the more likely i am to pay it, not the other way around. If it says $2.00, it's probably not going to save me any time.

Or, you could construct two extra lanes for everyone to use and ease the traffic congestion across the board.

Or everyone pays, everyone uses. What a beautiful system. Wonder why nobody has thought of that before.

Not everyone uses.  A lot of people don't own cars, why should they pay?  Hell, a lot of the funding for these projects is done at the state level, why should someone that lives in Norfolk pay for more lanes on the beltway that they will never use?

Gotcha, was just curious.  I don't live up there, thought it was gonna be honor system like the HOV lanes.

Yep.  The ones on 395 are even more divided.

395-wash-3.jpg

PB- think of it this way. For years I commuted on 495 while they were constructing these lanes. Traffic was always a damn nightmare due to the construction. Well, worse than usual anyway.

And at the end of it, after dealing with that, what is the benefit? Is traffic congestion lighter because of the addition of these lanes? The answer is no, not really.

Would congestion be better if they'd use that same construction to just add two more lanes? The answer is yes, absolutely, and it would be significant. But now you've got these lanes than took years to build that nobody uses and traffic still sucks. It was a damn waste for everyone other than a handful of people that pay craploads to drive in those lanes.

Not everyone uses. A lot of people don't own cars, why should they pay? Hell, a lot of the funding for these projects is done at the state level, why should someone that lives in Norfolk pay for more lanes on the beltway that they will never use?

mg]

Because that's how taxes WORK. Otherwise you'd have nice ass NOVA roads and schools and the rest of VA would be a ****hole.

Because that's how taxes WORK. Otherwise you'd have nice ass NOVA roads and schools and the rest of VA would be a ****hole.

It already is. :)  And every dollar NoVa sends to Richmond, it gets 66 cents back.  And anyways, lots of taxes are use taxes.  Sales tax for instance.

Because there is limited space to expand highways and those lanes for pay are sitting on a large piece of it. 

It would be so difficult to change those lanes to free (once, you know, the roads are paid for).  They'd have to like, turn off the EZPass readers and . . . that's pretty much it.  

PB- think of it this way. For years I commuted on 495 while they were constructing these lanes. Traffic was always a damn nightmare due to the construction. Well, worse than usual anyway.

And at the end of it, after dealing with that, what is the benefit? Is traffic congestion lighter because of the addition of these lanes? The answer is no, not really.

Would congestion be better if they'd use that same construction to just add two more lanes? The answer is yes, absolutely, and it would be significant. But now you've got these lanes than took years to build that nobody uses and traffic still sucks. It was a damn waste for everyone other than a handful of people that pay craploads to drive in those lanes.

This assumes that 2 lanes would have been built at all without this funding mechanism.  And this is the ENTIRE POINT of dynamic tolls.  If there is no traffic, the tolls are nearly zero.  If there is traffic, the tolls adjust to a price point that puts a significant amount of the traffic into those lanes.  They don't just stay wide open.  Even at $18, there will be a bunch of people using those lanes because enough people will gladly pay $20 not to lose an entire day. 

It already is. :) And every dollar NoVa sends to Richmond, it gets 66 cents back.

This assumes that 2 lanes would have been built at all without this funding mechanism.

You could make the rich area/poor area comparison for literally every state, country, locality, etc in existence. It's essentially the same argument as "I don't want my tax dollars used to pay for food stamps that I'm never going to use."

And they would have been built eventually somehow. And it wouldn't have been a ****ing joke like these toll lanes are.

It would be so difficult to change those lanes to free (once, you know, the roads are paid for). They'd have to like, turn off the EZPass readers and . . . that's pretty much it.

This assumes that 2 lanes would have been built at all without this funding mechanism. And this is the ENTIRE POINT of dynamic tolls. If there is no traffic, the tolls are nearly zero. If there is traffic, the tolls adjust to a price point that puts a significant amount of the traffic into those lanes. They don't just stay wide open. Even at $18, there will be a bunch of people using those lanes because enough people will gladly pay $20 not to lose an entire day.

It actually works both ways. The prices rise to the point of preventing the "express lanes" being bogged down. The fact that they are free for HOV folks just expands on that model.

You could make the rich area/poor area comparison for literally every state, country, locality, etc in existence. It's essentially the same argument as "I don't want my tax dollars used to pay for food stamps that I'm never going to use."

And they would have been built eventually somehow. And it wouldn't have been a ****ing joke like these toll lanes are.

It's the exact opposite argument.  The people that pay for the road are the people that USE THE ROAD.  

It actually works both ways. The prices rise to the point of preventing the "express lanes" being bogged down. The fact that they are free for HOV folks just expands on that model.

Right, but it's not like they price it so only a handful of people are using it.  The roads are generally pretty full (if the regular lanes are full), just not so full that it's slow. 

I wasn't referring to Norfolk as "poor," i was referring to it as "far away." You decided that Norfolk was poor.

You seem to get off topic easily. Or don't understand my points. But it's ok, I'm gonna go watch football now because this conversation isn't worth my time. You're wrong, but I'm glad you enjoy your $20/trip toll lanes.

You seem to get off topic easily. Or don't understand my points. But it's ok, I'm gonna go watch football now because this conversation isn't worth my time. You're wrong, but I'm glad you enjoy your $20/trip toll lanes.

LOL, sorry I had a hard time understanding your dumbass points.  Maybe it'd be easier to just post "waaaahhh, I don't like things that are out of my meager budget" next time.   You're wrong, but I'm glad you get to spend entire days stuck in traffic. :)

Archived