Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo - Shutdown Countdown #30: Washington's issues much deeper than quarterback

superozman

Shutdown Corner is previewing all 32 teams as we get ready for the NFL season, counting down the teams one per day in reverse order or our initial 2015 power rankings. No. 1 will be revealed on Aug. 8, the day before the preseason begins with the Hall of Fame Game in Canton.

This might surprise you, but the Washington Redskins' biggest issue during a horrible season last year wasn't the guy (or guys) under center.

Yes, we'll talk about that quarterback who inspires so many strong feelings. But there are other issues in Washington.

The Redskins weren't the 1999 St. Louis Rams, but they weren't that bad in the passing game. Washington finished in the top half of the league in some key stats, like yards per game (11th), completion percentage (fourth), average yards per attempt (tied for third) and quarterback rating (15th). Not great but not incompetent either.

Washington's rebuilding project should really start with the other side of the ball.

Click below for more...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-countdown--washington-s-issues-much-deeper-than-quarterback-021856658.html

I think the writer here completely forgot the fact that Deangelo Hall will be back for the 2015 season.  I know he's aiming for Training camp, but he may be delayed, but I expect he's going to be back.

With that being said, in this article there were numerous jabs at the secondary, rightfully so.  But no mention of the 2013 cornerback who had 4 INTs, 3 FF, 1 FRec and 3 overall TDs.  Even he might not resemble himself at the beginning of 2014, he will help this secondary.

Some of the quotes that don't take into consideration the injury and him coming back just had me believe he forgot about him:

"It was impossibly bad against the pass last season, allowing a 108.3 rating, which is insanely bad."

"he secondary is still not good. Culliver at least gives the team a reasonable No. 1 cornerback."

"New blood was needed, but the moves weren't enough to turn the Redskins from a unit that allowed a 108.3 rating over a full season into an above-average secondary."

"And there would need to be some magical improvement on defense, especially from the wretched secondary"

I think while we definitely have talent issues in several places - to me the coaching staff is a huge red flag.   Bill Callahan's reputation aside - we have several coaches including our HC and DC who have proven little positive.  I'm not looking to punt on them as a whole just yet, but I don't think it's out of the question that they finish the season as one of the league's weaker groups.   I hope I'm wrong b/c we're going to have a lot of young players coming through here in the next few seasons that need real development if we're ever going to turn this around, and we'll be trusting these guys to do it.

We gave up 35 TDs through the air last year... our secondary was fairly atrocious. We made some steps and we have Hall coming back but until we see it on the field it's fair to see that as the biggest liability. 

it says some pasrushing help would have been appreciated.  None of the three DL we signed or the OLB we drafted rush the passer?

Yeah, are they all considered run-stoppers?  At any rate it should be an improvement over last year.

Regarding our secondary: I think they've been very poorly coached.  They rarely seemed to know what to expect or where to be back there; they always seemed out of position, caught off guard, and out of sync.

They're not wrong. The problem was the QB play was so bad last year it's virtually impossible to make any other evaluations. Best defense in history would look painfully average if you take away their top corner and then put them on the field as much as the Redskins' offense did.

They're not wrong. The problem was the QB play was so bad last year it's virtually impossible to make any other evaluations. Best defense in history would look painfully average if you take away their top corner and then put them on the field as much as the Redskins' offense did.

The offense put up points and the defense still blew those games. The defense was our main problem last year.

I'll be pissed if they get more than one sack next season.

sarcasmmeter2.gif

You'll be pissed if our DL additions & draftee get more than one sack?  Ummm...what?

The offense put up points and the defense still blew those games. The defense was our main problem last year.

The offense was overall ranked 13th, but when it came to points? Ranked 26th. Still I think it was a team collapse, Special Teams certainly kicked in on the fail as well. 

Archived