Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RIP Ken Stabler

hail2skins

Funny, remember back in those days before I realized that you were only allowed to have ONE favorite team, I considered the Raiders to be my second favorite team.....far behind the Skins, of course.  Also liked the Rams back in those days.  Naturally, liking the Raiders at all came to an end in January 1984 ;)

Stabler was involved in three of the iconic playoff games of the 1970s: The Immaculate Reception in '72, the Sea of Hands in '74 which ended the Dolphins chances of a threepeat, and the Ghost to the Post, a thrilling OT win in Baltimore in '77.

BTW, somewhat surprised to learn he is not in the Hall of Fame.  He won a Super Bowl, was the fastest QB to 100 wins (since eclipsed by Bradshaw, Montana, and Brady), was a 4 time Pro Bowler, named to the NFL 1970's All Decade Team, and led the Raiders to a winning record every year from 1973 to 1979.

That's a damn shame.

I know he loved to party, like his fellow 'Bama ball player Namath, but he seemed to be ready to roll come Sunday...at least in the second half (from what I understand, many of those great second half comebacks came due to less than stellar place in the first half).

I admire people who are cool in the clutch like Stabler was. The ability to stay even when things are cumbling around you is something I've had to learn through a lot of trial and error. Stabler seemed to have it from day one.

BTW, somewhat surprised to learn he is not in the Hall of Fame.  He won a Super Bowl, was the fastest QB to 100 wins (since eclipsed by Bradshaw, Montana, and Brady), was a 4 time Pro Bowler, named to the NFL 1970's All Decade Team, and led the Raiders to a winning record every year from 1973 to 1979.

he should be in the Hall of Fame.  I am not sure why he isn't.  Great QB who was clutch.  I also loved hearing him interviewed.  Just a great guy.  I would have loved to have had an opportunity to drink with him.

I always thought Stabler was a "Domino HOFer". By that I mean, you let Stabler in, then where do you set the cut-off bar then? Let's say Stabler gets a wave of support, and gets in in 2016, then you have a litany of guys just in the qb field who have a very tangible argument. To blurt out a few…

Kurt Warner (getting in anyway)

Phil SImms

Donovan McNabb

Ken Anderson

Randall Cunningham

John Hadl

Jim Hart

Granted, not all these guys were Super Bowl winners, but of those who weren't, could all say at a window of their career, they were among the best in the league.

I always thought Stabler was a "Domino HOFer". By that I mean, you let Stabler in, then where do you set the cut-off bar then? Let's say Stabler gets a wave of support, and gets in in 2016, then you have a litany of guys just in the qb field who have a very tangible argument. To blurt out a few…

Kurt Warner (getting in anyway)

Phil SImms

Donovan McNabb

Ken Anderson

Randall Cunningham

John Hadl

Jim Hart

Granted, not all these guys were Super Bowl winners, but of those who weren't, could all say at a window of their career, they were among the best in the league.

I agree with you about Warner getting in anyway.  the others on the list, I think are a level below Warner and Snake.  McNabb in my opinion is not even close, nor is Cunningham.

Best Snake story..  from John Madden's GREAT GREAT book "Hey wait A Minute, I wrote a Book".. seriously, recommended to any football fan.

In Baltimore in the playoffs in 77, the Raiders were driving trying to tie the game, nd had the ball in Colts territory with time running out.

The Raiders call timeout, and Snake comes over where Madden proceeds to yell all sorts of instructions and such while Stabler just coolly looks over the crowd at memorial Stadium.

As the timeout was winding down, Stabler broke off Madden's instructions and said "boy, these people sure are getting their money's worth today".

he went on th field, called his own play and threw the Ghost to the Post and tied the game.

The Raiders won in OT

~Bang

Best Snake story..  from John Madden's GREAT GREAT book "Hey wait A Minute, I wrote a Book".. seriously, recommended to any football fan.

In Baltimore in the playoffs in 77, the Raiders were driving trying to tie the game, nd had the ball in Colts territory with time running out.

The Raiders call timeout, and Snake comes over where Madden proceeds to yell all sorts of instructions and such while Stabler just coolly looks over the crowd at memorial Stadium.

As the timeout was winding down, Stabler broke off Madden's instructions and said "boy, these people sure are getting their money's worth today".

he went on th field, called his own play and threw the Ghost to the Post and tied the game.

The Raiders won in OT

~Bang

the Raiders 1976 America's Game episode is by far my favorite, largely because of some of the things that Stabler says - he had some great quotes.  One of the best was, to paraphrase "Too many 3rd and longs will keep you sleeping on your side of the bed." which I thought was hilarious.  Phil Villapiano is also extremely entertaining in that episode. 

Archived