Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer thread.

Kilmer17

This cracks me up.  Have you been stuck under a rock the last 4 years? Are you stuck with 2010 Bob Bradley soccer?

Please elaborate on why exactly you think US soccer "plays like ****".

pointy pretty much answered it. 

just talking about the women for now... Before last night, they hadn't really played much (any) what I would consider "not-****" soccer. Constantly losing possession, choosing to hit mindless passes, non-existent combinations in the attacking third. They have a great group of players for the women's side but just because they win doesn't mean they play good soccer.

The men are getting better and have gotten very nice results against Germany and Holland recently. But they're still not at the level of Holland or Germany. Are they as bad as Bahrain? No. But they're probably still a third tier nation. 

Now you elaborate why you think they play good soccer.

• Like 1

Same old with the men.  We need scoring.  We need strikers that can...strike?  We've lacked big time players that can put the fear in the other team that the ball will go in the net. Midfield, defense and goalie has been good. We need a big time scorer.

If the US follow England's lead against Japan, I can't see anything else other than a comfortable American victory Sunday. 

To say they're the reigning World Champs, Japan have looked distinctly average this tournament culminating in last night's very fortuitous  victory. Technically they excel, and their movement is excellent. They'll pass you to death all game if you let them. But it's easy as Hell to defend against as they have little invention or idea in the final third. It's all side to side that ultimately goes nowhere. 

Frustrate them, pressure them and attack and the revenge that's been the buzz word for the Americans all tournament will be easily achieved. 

Hail. 

That was said last WC and Japan pulled it off. England tried to be physical with them, use the height advantage to not much success. 

Japan have that Italian mindset in that they may not beat you, but they won't beat themselves. 

US have had a pretty solid defense, but also having the advantage of playing 12 against 10, er, 11 against 10 a few times. 

Nice read E and I agree.  I really wanted a England vs US final, and was sad to see how things turned out.  If they had gotten to penalty kicks Japan would have won.  I thought England had a good game plan and out played them in the second half.

I also agree GHH that Japan has not looked impressive this tournament, however, they find a way to win and that is what bothers me.

The U.S. is clearly playing better, but Japan is technically and fundamentally sound even though they are off offensively.  They have won on luck and capitalizing on the few real chances they get against good teams.  They play sound defense and are difficult to score against and that is how they beat the U.S. four years ago.  That said, my memory is fading as the years pass, but I remember seeing a better offensive team in Japan four years ago.  They struggled against England outside a few chances to score, and I thought they either made uncharacteristic errand passes or didn't run off the ball like they have in the past.

But, you still have to play the game so I will be nervous on Sunday.

I was impressed with the game plan and who the starting 11 were in the semi final.  I am hoping Jill comes up with another quality coaching performance.

Edited by Fred Jones

*Looks in .....

Say's nottin' about the German penalty and the US girl not walking from it. Nor the US penalty that was neither inside the box nor a foul. Two MASSIVE game changing decisions. 

Hopes the Americans will never complain about poor officiating again. 

See y'all Sunday. 

Hail. 

First, I agree that PK for US was bad call.  But, I bet that in real-time, you thought it was PK, just like rest of us.  Tight call that with speed of play and split decision, I can understand.  

RC for US defender is very close.  USSF has directive that actually says that bouncing ball is NOT OGSO, so that is close.  Since overall call of red vs yellow is very narrow, let's look at how ref has called game to this point to see if she is consistent (I think we all agree that being consistent is most important to how overall game is called).

In first half, Rapinoe is fouled 5-6 times, resulting in 2 different  German players getting YC.  Each of these German players had at least one (and one had 2-3) other late/bad tackles that should have been YC 2 = RC.  Ref appears to be leinent on giving RC in these situations and will try to keep game 11 v 11 in close situations.  Given that approach, YC for American defender in very much in line with her overall decision making.  If you want US RC, than you must admit that Germany should have been one (or maybe 2) players down before halftime.  Can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

That was said last WC and Japan pulled it off. England tried to be physical with them, use the height advantage to not much success. 

Japan have that Italian mindset in that they may not beat you, but they won't beat themselves. 

US have had a pretty solid defense, but also having the advantage of playing 12 against 10, er, 11 against 10 a few times

See above for some rational thinking on refs and US in the last game.

Want to see real ref's choices, see how many PKs have bee awarded to Japan this series.  Hint - got them through to final.

Japan does not show enough on offense to scare US defense.  They play much like Arsenal (wonder why you like them  :P ) vs average teams.  Can keep ball for lots of time, but don't really do much with it and look like they can give up a goal on counter basically any time.  Scary defending free kicks and almost comical defending corners.

Yeah BT, one for the team.

Just call it like it is.

See above for some rational thinking on refs and US in the last game.

Want to see real ref's choices, see how many PKs have bee awarded to Japan this series.  Hint - got them through to final.

Japan does not show enough on offense to scare US defense.  They play much like Arsenal (wonder why you like them  :P ) vs average teams.  Can keep ball for lots of time, but don't really do much with it and look like they can give up a goal on counter basically any time.  Scary defending free kicks and almost comical defending corners.

Just call it like it is.

Calm down. It was just a joke. The Colombia RC was definitely warranted. I can't even remember the other team they played ten against, Nigeria?

Nice cheap shot about Arsenal. I care so much about you, I don't even know who you support other than you're another blind homer for 'Murica. 

First, I agree that PK for US was bad call. But, I bet that in real-time, you thought it was PK, just like rest of us.....

In real time, just like the BBC guys calling it, I thought it was a foul just outside the box. Even at normal speed it didn't look inside.

But this has been discussed to death.

Onto Sunday and hopefully a U.S. victory.

[vquote name=Major Harris" post="10261405" timestamp="1435891458]

My favorite part.

We had him fooled guys. He's been here a few years, and he thought this was the place for objective, rational thought.

Guess I'm just used to the regulars in the soccer thread who are some of the most honest, straight shooting posters on here when it comes to their respective teams.

In part down to everyone else jumping all over them if they aren't.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Japan is undefeated. They've had a few late winners though against Australia and England. The latter was won on an OG by the English (in typical English fashion) 

England's World Cup miseries of missing penalty kicks and collapses are very similar to DC Sports Angst  :lol:

Guess I'm just used to the regulars in the soccer thread who are some of the most honest, straight shooting posters on here when it comes to their respective teams.

In part down to everyone else jumping all over them if they aren't.

Hail.

So sorry to disappoint.

pointy pretty much answered it.

just talking about the women for now... Before last night, they hadn't really played much (any) what I would consider "not-****" soccer. Constantly losing possession, choosing to hit mindless passes, non-existent combinations in the attacking third. They have a great group of players for the women's side but just because they win doesn't mean they play good soccer.

The men are getting better and have gotten very nice results against Germany and Holland recently. But they're still not at the level of Holland or Germany. Are they as bad as Bahrain? No. But they're probably still a third tier nation.

Now you elaborate why you think they play good soccer.

Pretty sure I put some thoughts into that above. I guess it all comes down to what you consider "playing like ****" to be. Is anything that is not Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, or really anything outside of the top 8 deemed to be playing like ****? Just because we are not one of the top squads in the world doesn't mean they are complete ****.

As I mentioned, the team has made major strides under klinnsmann. They went from a bob Bradley high school style attack of booting it forward and hoping for the best, to a more possession based creative style. As seen in the most recent Germany game, they have shown that they can build solid attacks by maintaining possession( as seen by the 30+ pass build up to their first goal), and have shown that they can dominate play and possession for long periods of time against good teams ( as seen by the second half domination against the Germans). They are able to knock the ball around and dictate their style of play. Gone are the days of just sitting back and praying for a solid counter attack. If you want to delve further, you can look at the youth systems as well. If you watched any of the u-20 World Cup recently, this change in culture and play is even more evident. Players like Emerson hyndmann and Gideon Zelalem provide creative sparks that we never showed in the past. Its pretty clear what type of style klinnsmann has put an onus on with his teams.

So like I said, it all depends on what you consider playing like **** to be. I guess if you consider not being on the same level as Germany or the Netherlands as playing like ****, then sure, we "play like ****". But that would be a pretty ridiculous standard to hold.

Aren't you an el sal or Honduran fan anyways?

Also, For anyone interested, the U.S. mens have a friendly tonight at 6 30 against Guatemala. This is their final tune up game before the gold cup kicks off next week against Honduras.

Edited by skinsngibbs4life

I've agreed that they have looked better under JK, but it's still a long way to go. Yes. If you don't play like the best in the world then it looks like ****. One 30 pass sequence for a goal doesn't turn you into Spain. In our last meaningful match against Belgium our defending was porous. 

Controlling a game can be an illusion. Man City was really good at that. Other teams had the ball a lot but eventually the attack fizzled out when they got close to the Citeh goal. Then when they got their chance, they countered and scored. Just because you're attacking and have the ball, doesn't really mean you are in control of the game. How many times have Jose's teams proven that? 

• Like 1

I've agreed that they have looked better under JK, but it's still a long way to go. Yes. If you don't play like the best in the world then it looks like ****. One 30 pass sequence for a goal doesn't turn you into Spain. In our last meaningful match against Belgium our defending was porous. 

Controlling a game can be an illusion. Man City was really good at that. Other teams had the ball a lot but eventually the attack fizzled out when they got close to the Citeh goal. Then when they got their chance, they countered and scored. Just because you're attacking and have the ball, doesn't really mean you are in control of the game. How many times have Jose's teams proven that? 

So 95% of the world looks and plays like ****? This just screams of the Euro soccer (I'm sorry, football) snobbery mentality.

Obviously one sequence doesn't change the face of your team. But you asked me to elaborate on my stance. Therefore, to back up my claim, I provided an example. Why would I not use an example from the teams most recent game? I've never once claimed that this team is on, or even near, the level of the worlds elite teams. However,  that doesn't mean they are **** either. Their improvements over the last four years have made their style of play more enjoyable and even watchable. Nowadays they provide buildups and wonderful goals that we would have never seen in the past.

But I guess for some, unless you are the best in the world, it doesn't really matter what type of improvements you make, you're still going to be ****.

• Like 1

There are actually people out there bitter towards Klinsmann because he prefers players train outside the MLS, or his teams don't win enough friendlies. The former is a legitimate issue, but the latter is ridiculous as friendlies are simply exhibition games...in addition the USA without Dempsey was able to win said friendlies against Germany and Netherlands so the point is already moot. 

I'm mixed on MLS. We do have a lot of MLS players. But Klinsmann wants them to play outside the US. I don't know much about the MLS and I've only attended my first MLS game a few weeks ago. I have noticed a lot of our stars like Jones and Beckerman and Dempsey play in MLS. 

Anyway we're doing awfully good right now so haters best shut up on Klinsmann because I think he knows what's he's doing. We have a good young roster on the rise and our current team ain't bad. 

2-0 over Guatemala ****