Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Parking Lots/Policies for 2015

MarkB452

I see your point...some heads-up would've been nice, but having said that, they have provided pretty clear direction, on what roads to take, for each lot.

It's incumbent on the season ticket-holder to read the map and act accordingly. The raods that they're advising fans to use, to access the lots,seems pretty clear.It looks to me like they're trying to spread the traffic around.

Forgive the spelling..doing this on mobile

You're absolutely right.

The problem is that people don't do that and create problems that the rest of us have to deal with.

This largely doesn't affect me directly because everyone in my crew has secured the same lot, so other than selling tickets in the future (will someone not buy my seats because i don't have 'the right lot'?) I'm fine. I show up early enough that the mayhem pre-game on the roads doesn't affect me either.

But my money is on: this will make a horrible mess the first few weeks of the season.

We'll see if it makes things better afterwards. Based on what I typically see at the game I'm guessing not...

edit:

MTH's post actually makes me feel much better. The only problem with his outlook, is that it means the people going to the game have to know where they're going... Maybe i'm just overly pessimistic.

Like you tshile, I'm always there ealy and typically stay till after the traffic has died down. Hopefully this new system will make it better for those that like to arrive 30 minutes before kick off and leave immediately after the game if not sooner.

I can't imagine they'd move but I see your point. I'll email Huly.

edit: BTW the team is going to give a grace period, so if you don't like your lot, you can switch to another one early on. In other words, if you choose Green E, and the ES tailgate moves to the RedZone, you can move over there too.

I really can't imagine Pez & Huly moving over there though, as enticing as it sounds.

PM sent

If you want to check your route to get to the RedZone lot, use mapquest and the address:

7801 Sheriff Rd, Hyattsville, Prince Georges, MD 20785-4403

I live in Fredericksburg.  The route it picked goes up 395, 695, 50 - interesting route.  Same distance....hard to know about traffic, but that's what Waze is for.

Redzone looking better and better.....

Good Post MarkB.

My understanding is, to enter the RedZone lot, you'll be permitted to do this easily enough from the Beltway, if you wish.  From the Beltway, you can come the old way at first ... take 202 West, turn left on Brightseat, then make your next right on Sheriff Rd. at the bottom of the hill.  Then you can make the left onto Belle Haven Dr. to the RedZone lot. 

Those with RedZone parking passes will be permitted to do this if they want. It might not be a good idea if it's close to kickoff though. 

However, to exit, you will drive down Belle Haven and then be directed to turn left onto Sheriff.  This is a good thing, because it forces you to avoid the crazy traffic on Brightseat.  So then, I suppose, one could take the route you outlined, MarkB, or whatever route gets them home.

It probably would be a good idea to use mapquest and the street address in MarkB's post above to figure out the best route home, avoiding Brightseat.

Royally ticked off right now.  I just attempted to order Red Parking only to get an error message that kicked me out of my account.  Now when I logon and try to make my selection it is grayed out.  Just sent an email to the ticket office to confirm my order went through.  Of course they are closed.  Doubt I will hear from them until Monday.  I'll try again tomorrow in case the system resets.

I got an email confirmtion (although I still haven't gotten the original email).

What do y'all see as the preferable lots? Obviously a lot of it depends on where you sit and what roads you prefer to use. I use Arena Drive off the Beltway whenever I can and took Green G. It is a little further to my section but it seems like it's going to be much easier to get out of that smaller area than have to wait in the crowd to get out of that huge area in Green F.

Skins are being responsive to the fans that botherd to partcipate in the survey.  It all sounds good to me. 

I had a question about handicapped parking so I emailed my question expecting to wait a few days for the answer, 28 minutes later I have my answer and am able to select my lot.

Good Job Skins!!

HTTR

So what was your question and answer? I use the handicapped lot also. I chose Green A since I need to enter from Morgan Blvd to get to the lot I want.

I don't understand some of the ****ing. Mark the Homer is spot on. Now the Redskins KNOW how many vehicles will be going in on each access road. And frankly, It is no longer just the color of your pass anymore. It will be the color and LETTER. People need to know where their specific lot is for their parking pass. Can't just go anywhere you want. I think this is very good for controlling congestion and vehicular traffic.

Yes, the first couple weeks will be a mess. Always is when you change a routine. Some people are just too stupid to plan a visit to a 80,000 seat stadium. But the Skins are trying to do what we have all complained about for years.

And the Red Zone lot sounds like a workable solution. More dedicated space to tailgate; your own private entrance and exit for half the number of cars that used to be in that lot because of the larger spaces.

And most important, you have a choice. The only real downer is for people who like to park all over the freaking place. Don't understand why but I guess some of you do...or are you just a natural complainer. :-)

I don't see this as anything but good stuff.  While some people will find problems with it, I think the vast majority of fans will find this is a better system.  This is how most of the league does their parking.  Jack Kent Cooke's approach was an interesting one, and it ran eighteen long years, but management of the traffic flow was nearly impossible with that system.

The old way, theoretically, the team could have 30,000 vehicles entering Redskins Rd and 10,000 vehicles trying to park in Green E.  That's impossible now. With this system, the team knows precisely how many vehicles are entering and exiting from each road and they know precisely how many vehicles are attempting to park in each specific lot. 

Furthermore, the amenities of the new Redzone lot (the old B3 lot) is nothing short of amazing.  Five hours before kickoff?  Spaces double size?  Dedicated entrance and exit?  Pinch me.  I'm tempted to move over there myself. 

Finally, the team is going to be very accommodating to get the fans the lots they want.  They are in a position to slightly enlarge or decrease lots as needed to allow fans to have their way.  They are trying to make things better.  Isn't that what everybody wants?

So why are you wasting your time reading this?  Log onto your account and choose your lot!

Several years ago, there were specific approaches for specific lots; it's what had ES (at E-43) change from Arena Drive to Redskins Road.  For H-3 where I've been since 2007, the approach had been solely Arena Drive; over the last couple of years, access was also possible via Morgan Boulevard (not long after they abandoned specific approaches).

Not only are we returning to that, we now need to preselect our lot.  It has great benefits as explained and, despite the adverse affect (which all change has) it will have on my crew, it will help the greater good ... (I trade with a fellow tailgater my green for one of his orange passes so I can be first to get our spot).  And many of my crew also trade/purchase on the after market so it may become most beneficial to relocate ...

I've also heard the negative feedback about Redzone from one of my crew due to the same history previously noted.  History is just that, and the organization appears committed to making things better.

There you have it, folks. The ES tailgate has moved. http://es.redskins.com/topic/389958-the-es-tailgate-has-moved/

... and, with that news, I think everyone can rest easy with the most renowned tailgate at FedEx Field making the move.

A few in my crew are already excited about the wider spaces and extra tailgating time; best for me to lock it in now.

So what was your question and answer? I use the handicapped lot also. I chose Green A since I need to enter from Morgan Blvd to get to the lot I want.

Question was would anything change with Handicapped parking being as I selected a lot not the closest to handicapped as sometimes I don't park in handicapped parking.  Answer was, no changes, a stae issued Placard and any Skins parking pass gets you in to the Handicapped lot of your choosing.

I got an email confirmtion (although I still haven't gotten the original email).

What do y'all see as the preferable lots? Obviously a lot of it depends on where you sit and what roads you prefer to use. I use Arena Drive off the Beltway whenever I can and took Green G. It is a little further to my section but it seems like it's going to be much easier to get out of that smaller area than have to wait in the crowd to get out of that huge area in Green F.

Yes.

In my opinion, one of the main things which should guide your decision on choosing a lot is what your route is coming home.  For example, if you are southbound on the beltway heading to Virginia or points south, maybe you should steer clear of lots C, D, and E, which require a Redskins Rd. exit.  For access to beltway exit 17, all those lots are funneled into one, or at best two lanes to turn right at the top of the hill (don't blame the team, this is the fault of the state police). 

However, there are other ways to get to the beltway:

1)  Drive straight across 202, turn left at the stop sign, and get on Rt 50 headed East towards the beltway

2)  Turn left on 202 and take the BW Pkwy to the beltway.

The traffic moves significantly faster going straight across or turning left at the top of the hill at 202.

But both those "shortcuts" are best for heading north.  Those who want to go south will likely insist on trying to make the right on 202 which is extremely slow moving.  Hence, this may be an opportunity for those heading south on the beltway to solve the problem in advance by avoiding the C, D, and E lots altogether. 

I so wanted to sign up for the RedZone but we're selling a couple of games each year now because we're out of town and I'm not sure how that's going to go when I tell them they can't pull in on Arena or Redskins Rd anymore. 

If we are able to make every game then it's a no-brainer to make the change.

The only problem I can possibly see is if down the road they ban tailgating in all lots except for the RedZone.

Question was would anything change with Handicapped parking being as I selected a lot not the closest to handicapped as sometimes I don't park in handicapped parking.  Answer was, no changes, a stae issued Placard and any Skins parking pass gets you in to the Handicapped lot of your choosing.

...provided it's not filled up.  This is one lot that the team can't predict the number of vehicles.  There is potential for cheating here, of course.  The team is taking steps to keep non-handicapped fans from using their grandmothers placard, however.  Placard ownership will need to match driver's identification, which is state law anyway.

If the lot is filled up, you'll have to go back to your designated colored lot.  There is golf cart transportation, I hear, which you can request. 

You also have the option of parking at the grey lot handicapped lot and getting a shuttle to the stadium. 

I so wanted to sign up for the RedZone but we're selling a couple of games each year now because we're out of town and I'm not sure how that's going to go when I tell them they can't pull in on Arena or Redskins Rd anymore. 

If we are able to make every game then it's a no-brainer to make the change.

The only problem I can possibly see is if down the road they ban tailgating in all lots except for the RedZone.

As mentioned above, to access the RedZone, one can use Brightseat Rd. which fans are very familiar with.  They just have to hang a right on Sheriff at the bottom of the hill.  It's easy.  Finding the way home though might require a little research since one cannot use Brightseat.

The team is not going to ban tailgating. 

As mentioned above, to access the RedZone, one can use Brightseat Rd. which fans are very familiar with.  They just have to hang a right on Sheriff at the bottom of the hill.  It's easy.  Finding the way home though might require a little research since one cannot use Brightseat.

The team is not going to ban tailgating. 

Exactly my point regarding selling a couple of games to the casual co-worker fan.  You can't enter on Arena or Redskins Rd. anymore but you can use Brightseat to get there but you can't use Brighseat to exit. 

I would love to move to the new lot but think we might stay in green just for this reason since we can't make every game.

Love the idea and that the Redskins are trying to make it a better situation.

...provided it's not filled up.  This is one lot that the team can't predict the number of vehicles.  There is potential for cheating here, of course.  The team is taking steps to keep non-handicapped fans from using their grandmothers placard, however.  Placard ownership will need to match driver's identification, which is state law anyway.

If the lot is filled up, you'll have to go back to your designated colored lot.  There is golf cart transportation, I hear, which you can request. 

You also have the option of parking at the grey lot handicapped lot and getting a shuttle to the stadium. 

Some of that used to be true. The lot attendant, often an EM guy, would ask to see your handicapped ID card and match it to the placard #. This started after I complained to the former CEO in an email because it seemed a lot of folks who were quite healthy and young; I can add they were Giants fans and being quite obnoxious, too! Anyway, this stopped about midway through the 2013 season and did not happen at a single game last year. They just waived us through.

I was hoping to hear the handicapped lots were expanding, too. The handicapped lots are typically full by about 10:30-11:00am for 1 pm games. The purple lot behind us always had lots of empty spaces. Seems like they could steal some from there or even just send the overflow into the purple lot behind the handicapped lot on the home side/Morgan Blvd entry. I arrived late for a game once and was shuttled all the way to the old B-3 lot, now the red zone tailgating lot. It was a long arduous walk for me. I called for a golf cart; but after waiting for over 25 minutes and not wanting to miss the opening kickoff, I walked.

And you are correct that it is hard to predict the number of handicapped spaces that will be used for each individual game. But after about 5 years, I can vouch that the lots are full two hours before game time for every game. (I used to park also at the handicapped lot on the visitor side of the stadium). Clearly, they need more handicapped parking.

Thanks. Glad to hear that. I selected Green Lot A off Morgan Blvd since I like to park in that handicapped lot. It is quite close to my seats.

Hope they increase the number of handicapped spaces. As ticket costs rise, older folks are the ones more likely to be able to afford season tickets and they tend to have more health issues than younger people. Thus the need for more handicapped spaces. (I know, I know, young people can have high incomes too; but typically your disposable income rises as you age and when/if you get married. If you look around the stadium, you will see a lot more 40+ people than 20+ people.)

Some of that used to be true. The lot attendant, often an EM guy, would ask to see your handicapped ID card and match it to the placard ....

...But after about 5 years, I can vouch that the lots are full two hours before game time for every game. (I used to park also at the handicapped lot on the visitor side of the stadium). Clearly, they need more handicapped parking.

If there is a lot of fraudulent use of the placards, then it's possible there just needs to be better enforcement.

My understanding is, the team is arranging to have enforcement officers (not necessarily police) at the handicapped lots who have the authority and the ability to match the placards with the identity of the person driving. 

What you've seen the last several years is not indicative of what you'll be seeing the next several years.

This plan sounds surprisingly smart. It's long overdue. Happy to see it. Those who travel may have seen how much better some venues handle parking. The I-95 corridor stadiums are all pretty good, considering the density. Hopefully this will help us catch up.

Hail!

Exactly my point regarding selling a couple of games to the casual co-worker fan.  You can't enter on Arena or Redskins Rd. anymore but you can use Brightseat to get there but you can't use Brighseat to exit. 

I would love to move to the new lot but think we might stay in green just for this reason since we can't make every game.

Love the idea and that the Redskins are trying to make it a better situation.

Is that your set-up, in your sig? It's pretty sweet!

Have you ever been hassled, by parking lot attendants, for taking up two spaces? I've seen it happen in the green lots,( admittedly not too often), but it has happened. There are a few folks, at our tailgate, who do the same thing.

Check out the blurbs under "Tailgating Policy"

http://www.redskins.com/fedexfield/parking-and-directions.html

It looks like they're going to allow the extra space, but you'll have to park in the back of the lots and, possibly, have to give up the extra space if the lots fill up. Will that be enforced? Who knows?

It's something that you may want to keep in mind.

Archived