Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 : Upper Deck Renovations = Fewer seats

MarkB452

There was plenty of demand in the second half of 2012.

Aside from the Dallas game (which was the highest secondary market in Landover history), the late season market of 2012 was pretty much normal. We got the Ravens, Giants, and Cowboys, all of whom draw well to Raljon.

The sense of urgency tanked as soon as we beat Dallas. The Seahawks game was cheap, the least expensive since we had lost to Carolina in early November. It didn't matter that we hadn't hosted a playoff game since the .com boom. People didn't wish to attend nearly as much as one might have anticipated. 

Move to 90k FedEx and you get 30k Steeler fans on a Monday night.  Now when the team is good you can sell most of those seats to home fans. There was plenty of demand in the second half of 2012. When the team is bad or average you get people there for the show or away team fans.

The Redskins were actually 6-2 heading into that MNF game in 2008.

Like others have said. Even in Dallas they've been overrun 49er fans recently. Going to games live isn't a big deal anymore.

If your GameDay experience isn't A+(which hasn't been the Skins), you'll get cheapie seats on the secondary market for away fans.

F seating records and that nonsense. 60k or so seat stadium with retractable roof and ability to host a final 4 or add another 10k for a superbowl.... And you'd be more than fine.

At that time, it was the most anticipated, regular season matchup in the stadiums 12 year history. 

Take away the magical seven-game streak at the end of 2012.......and the Skins are 27-70 in all other regular season games starting with the Pittsburgh MNF game.

Take away the magical seven-game streak at the end of 2012.......and the Skins are 27-70 in all other regular season games starting with the Pittsburgh MNF game.

You needed to take away the 7 games to make it look horrible?  :lol: I think you can give them the 7 game credit and still make the same point.  ;)

Aside from the Dallas game (which was the highest secondary market in Landover history), the late season market of 2012 was pretty much normal. We got the Ravens, Giants, and Cowboys, all of whom draw well to Raljon.

The sense of urgency tanked as soon as we beat Dallas. The Seahawks game was cheap, the least expensive since we had lost to Carolina in early November. It didn't matter that we hadn't hosted a playoff game since the .com boom. People didn't wish to attend nearly as much as one might have anticipated. 

I guess I meant more from an optics stand point, as in number of opposing fans. At least on TV there seemed to be fewer opposing fans for those games than in previous years. Smaller cheers when the other team scored than there were in the past. 70-10k home fans to away fans vs say 60-20k or worse.

The Redskins were actually 6-2 heading into that MNF game in 2008.

There have always been issues with night games at FedEx. That goes back to the number of hardcore fans willing to come out every week. The two games I've been to at FedEx were both night games. A friend of mine had a coworker with season tickets. She sold all of the night games. Didn't matter who was playing or what the records were, night games got sold.

When they went from 55k to 90k you ended up with a lot of people who liked the idea of being "season ticket holders" but didn't like the idea of actually going to all of the games. So there were 30k seats available for the Steeler fans. Attendance for that game was listed at 90,512. There are not 90k Redskins fans in this area willing to go to a Monday night game. There are probably less than 5 NFL cities that could hold off the Steeler fanbase with a 90k stadium to fill. Maybe less than that.

LOL Chip......wanted to give them some credit, as that seven-game run at least led to a division crown and playoff berth in one season.  But geez, what a train wreck the past 6.5 seasons have been, and even that seven-game streak ended with RG3 tearing up his knee and all the recriminations that followed.

Like others have said. Even in Dallas they've been overrun 49er fans recently. Going to games live isn't a big deal anymore.

If your GameDay experience isn't A+(which hasn't been the Skins), you'll get cheapie seats on the secondary market for away fans.

Dallas has the extra bonus of that stadium becoming a destination. If you are going to travel to a road game for your team and Dallas is on the schedule that is the game you are going to. If for no other reason just to see that stadium and watch the game on the giant screen. 

Dallas has the extra bonus of that stadium becoming a destination. If you are going to travel to a road game for your team and Dallas is on the schedule that is the game you are going to. If for no other reason just to see that stadium and watch the game on the giant screen. 

Having been to the Super Bowl in Dallas, I hate the screen.  If I go to a live game, i want to watch a live game.  The screen is so large your eyes get pulled into looking at the TV.  I would rather watch at home.  If Snyder built that, I would be disappointed.

Personally, I'd have reduced seating in the obstructed view sections first. You can't tell on TV anyway if a portion (the most obstructed) of these seats are removed, and from enjoying the game I can think of any tickets you really enjoy less when your stuck only being able to see 50% or less of the action.

Bottom line is the casual fans that fill in the blanks after the die-hards are steering clear of this team. Unless you're in here a lot, or follow the team avidly, all you're seeing is a poor win-loss record, regime changes 3 times in the past 3 years, disastrous trades for QB's, and nothing really to look forward to. Until things change in terms of the win-loss record and the team can start putting together multiple successful seasons in a row, the deterioration of the teams fan base will continue. This isn't Cleveland or Indianapolis. There are too many better things to do than waste your time and money on Dan Snyder's pathetic product.

Unless you're in here a lot, or follow the team avidly, all you're seeing is a poor win-loss record, regime changes 3 times in the past 3 years, disastrous trades for QB's, and nothing really to look forward to.

I follow the team avidly, and I'm still not really seeing much to look forward to! 

So Hogs Haven tweeted an interesting point/guess an hour or two ago. Why remove seats and the concrete underpinnings? Why not just tarp over the seats like most stadiums do when they want to block out seats? More importantly, what's with the tall metal poles that have been installed? Does Danny plan to install some kind of roof at FedEx Field? Hmmmm....

I had an email exchange with the former CEO of the Skins when they were removing seats the first time, particularly from the end zone. I suggested that the Skins might be installing some kind of roof like what Seattle has. I even sent him a photo-shopped picture of FedEx Field with a roof like that. He laughed. He did admit they had discussed a full and partial roof among their discussions on how to improve FedEx Field. But he said they doubted it could be engineered since FedEx was not originally designed for a roof. But he did like the idea I sent him. Couldn't get him to cough up any real information, though.

Hmmmmm.......

And it seems unlikely to me anyway, because Danny only has 12 more years at FedEx. Why spend that money unless he knows he can get NCAA basketball games/ Super Bowl / etc.

But it is an interesting idea. I mean why remove 8 rows of prime real estate at mid field in the upper deck?  Hmmmm.....

For years a lot of people were saying to hit Snyder where it hurts. His wallet. It looks like it is finally starting to having an effect. Not only can he not sell out the stadium. But he has to pay someone to remove all of those seats. I am sure it has a lot to do with the hiring of MCC. The crowds will come back once a winner is in town again.

I don't believe ticket revenue is the big factor it was say even a decade ago.  Cable / TV revenue is the big revenue dog now.  Removing seats may be linked to "sell outs" vice "black outs" cable revenues.

I don't believe ticket revenue is the big factor it was say even a decade ago.  Cable / TV revenue is the big revenue dog now.  Removing seats may be linked to "sell outs" vice "black outs" cable revenues.

Exactly now the brain is being engaged.  Add to that ticket revenue is split so as great as it is having the largest capacity stadium (as the skins had at one time) it mostly bumps revenue from burgers, beers, and swag sold at the stadium.  That said his cut of the food revenue is probably smaller then one would think.  Aramark (who I believe runs the concessions) is in the business to make money as well, and has the same model and network all over the place giving them pricing power.

The premium, club, and suite revenue doesn't get split so you're never going to receive a reduction there.  I'm sure the thesis is (IF) the team plays better and (IF) it continually is run in a manner in which promotes and leads to success then these changes to the stadium could be beneficial to Snyder for the rest of the stadiums useful life.  This could drive up general attendance figures and when those get scarce it drives up the cost on the secondary market and making more financial sense for the club level tickets (which Snyder gets to keep 100% of). 

We've come a long way from the eternal waiting list.

A mate got into football a couple of years ago and decided to go with The Redskins as his team(due to me and another buddy being Skins fans) and has attended two games: The Chiefs game from Shannys last year and the Bucs game from last season. He has sworn off ever going to another Wash game again. Can't say I blame him. :(

I've never seen it that bad at FedEx, not even the Steelers MNF game in 2008

I was tempted but won't quote the picture ,that is just a beyond embarrassing scene for Dallas.

I went to the 49ers game in 2013 (week 12) when we were clearly out of the postseason discussion, and there was a large number of 49ers fans, but nothing resembling this Dallas picture by any stretch.  The Chiefs game was week 14 and was just a nasty day all together so seeing images like this

skinshalftime1213a.jpg

is not that surprising.

Call me foolish but I think seeing images like this and understanding the ramifications both financially and seeing his team consistently as part of the NFL gutter (say bottom 5 - 7 consistently regardless of the 2012 run) are why he's starting to get it.  Yes there has been a lot of losing recently, but its always darkest before the light.

A 50-yard line or not, is there really much of a demand to sit in row 29 in the uppers at FedEx?

The people that actually like to watch football plays and not just worried about being closer to big sweaty millionaires love those seats.

So yeah, there isn't as much demand for those lol

Really, the appeal of watching the game at home affects overall attendance not just uppers. That appeal will also wear off when the 'skins start winning.

Per:Csn Washington (The team told the Post that the latest seat removal was “part of an overall plan based on season ticket holder feedback,” and that details will follow.) what could this mean?

IIRC, one of the questions on the survey that was sent out to STHs that asked about a potential new stadium included asking if more seats should be in the lower bowl vice the uppers, and maybe a lot of folks responded by indicating lower bowl preference.  Also, every time the Redskins finally get around to announcing seat reductions, it always is touted as something positive (reducing crowded conditions) instead of what it really is, lack of demand.

Which is why I'm skeptical that its anything more than that. You would think that if the Skins were doing something significant to enhance the fan experience (like perhaps a roof to hold in noise), that it would be touted way in advance. Instead, we've found out about these seat reductions not through the Skins initially, but rather through someone who happens to be at draft day/pick a seat today and notices something amiss in the UL.

Archived