Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

Here's some interesting info relating to the Shelby / Crutcher case. 

On Monday, January 12, 1998, near the end of his shift, Deputy Kyle Dinkheller of the Laurens County Sheriff's Office (LCSO) in the U.S. state of Georgia, pulled over motorist Andrew Howard Brannan, for speeding. A verbal confrontation escalated to a shootout resulting in Brannan murdering the Deputy. Dinkheller's murder continues to get national attention (e.g., training in police academies) because the stop and shootout were captured on a personal video recorder Deputy Dinkheller had placed on his patrol car dashboard and activated when he stopped Brannan.

In the shootout, Dinkheller was armed with his semi-automatic service handgun, and Brannan had an M1 Carbine rifle. Dinkheller shot and wounded Brannan. Despite this, Brannan fired the rifle, reloaded it, fired a lethal shot into Dinkheller's eye, and fled the scene in his Toyota truck.

www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/01/13/vietnam-veteran-andrew-brannan-executed-for-murder-after-ptsd-defense-fails/?utm_term=.6e304d8df6e9

"The two men exchanged shots, with Brannan suffering one gunshot wound to the abdomen and Dinkheller getting hit nine times. The graphic video shows Dinkheller, a Laurens County deputy, screaming in terror and pain as Brannan closes in on him and kills him at point-blank range after reloading. It is now used in police training across the country. 

Edited by grego

2 hours ago, grego said:

"The two men exchanged shots, with Brannan suffering one gunshot wound to the abdomen and Dinkheller getting hit nine times. The graphic video shows Dinkheller, a Laurens County deputy, screaming in terror and pain as Brannan closes in on him and kills him at point-blank range after reloading. It is now used in police training across the country. 

As horrible as that incident was, I don't think officers should be overreacting to every encounter they have with a motorists because of it. This deputy died, but how many unarmed civilians have to be shot a killed because of it. Is their lives less important than the LEO? I regards to the video you linked, I think Dinkheller should've shot Brannan when he began advancing on him quickly and in a menacing manner near the beginning of the video. I don't recall Crutcher doing that. 

Well, for some slightly good news...

This incident was posted in this thread a while back, and it looks like the Evanston PD reviewed their policies and are going to make some changes. Doesn't really address the racial profiling, and the reckless nature of the 911 caller, but at least something is being done to try and make sure that kind of incident doesn't end up like that again. 

“It was determined that the force used in this incident was in compliance with our procedures as it pertains to this type of situation,” Leaks said. “However, in reviewing this incident, we’ve also determined that we will no longer require subjects to be proned during these types of stops, as we acknowledge and realize that there are some problematic issues that come with that: locations of the stop, weather conditions and it gives a bad perception.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/evanston-police-sued-for-false-arrest-dash-video-released/

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 1:45 PM, ExoDus84 said:

I didn't know that being high warranted instant execution. I was under the impression one might have to physically attack a police officer to warrant getting shot and killed. I'm sick to death of pathetic, frightened, trigger-happy cops getting away with killing people. There's no ****ing accountability for it.

I know this is off topic somewhat, but damn, when are folks going to hold their own accountable ? 

I am more sick about the way certain communities respond, and the fact that folks protest cops and such, but not the drug dealer that lives 2 blocks away. 

Side note: I do know a miniature cop that I hope never has to pull someone over.  He has napoleon complex whether he wants to admit it or not...and he is a controlling asshole with his own wife. I could go on and on with that silliness that forced her to lie to him (and she isn't a cheater...yet). 

• Like 2

That video posted above.  THAT cop seemed way more patient with a suspect who actually had a weapon, then some cops are with unarmed civilians.  Not sure if that cop had a taser on him but when the suspect started dancing around and advancing and acting overall defiant (before he returns to the truck to get the gun) why was he not tazed right then?

I think this is what confuses a lot of people is they watch a video like this where it seemed like the suspect had all the time in the world to act out, disobey, return to his vehicle, get a weapon, show his weapon, point his weapon etc etc etc.....before the cop was willing to use lethal force, but then you will watch other videos where it seems like the first instinct of a cop is to pull their weapon and fire and then worry about framing a story afterwards.

I don't think anyone watches the video above and thinks the cop was in the wrong, more why it took the cop so long to do something, but that video isn't about an unarmed minority simply being rude or giving talkback to an officer.  That suspect does a whole lot more.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

I know this is off topic somewhat, but damn, when are folks going to hold their own accountable ? 

I am more sick about the way certain communities respond, and the fact that folks protest cops and such, but not the drug dealer that lives 2 blocks away.

Unless you are talking about local communities, what do you mean "their own"?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

Unless you are talking about local communities, what do you mean "their own"?

My communities varied growing up. However, even the drug dealers...didn't deal in "our" community. 

My neighborhood right now is policed by my neighbors...we all have each others back. 

Don't try and twist my words into me saying "you people". That is not what I stated. 

Not to mention - I am more of a minority than nearly everyone on this message board. 

Parents went to PTA meetings, parents and kids knew each other, etc. 

Folks these days are afraid to know their own next door neighbor. 

Sure, I carry a gun...do I dress or act like a gangster or thug ? No. 

Do I have rowdy parties with folks acting a fool in my neighborhood ? No.

We had respect for each other back in the day, we cared about our community, our children, and many became good friends.

These days, most folks simply don't give a crap about any sense of community. It's pretty sad. I started to notice it in the late 90's.  

Do you have anymore leading questions ? 

Maybe you should have gone with this then, instead of the "their own" line you spilled back there. 

People don't hate cops, just those who abuse their power and kill people for making the slightest wrong move and use lethal force unjustifiably. It's a tough job, and honestly th eye should be paid more to hire the best we have, but that's another story. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

That video posted above.  THAT cop seemed way more patient with a suspect who actually had a weapon, then some cops are with unarmed civilians.  Not sure if that cop had a taser on him but when the suspect started dancing around and advancing and acting overall defiant (before he returns to the truck to get the gun) why was he not tazed right then?

I think this is what confuses a lot of people is they watch a video like this where it seemed like the suspect had all the time in the world to act out, disobey, return to his vehicle, get a weapon, show his weapon, point his weapon etc etc etc.....before the cop was willing to use lethal force, but then you will watch other videos where it seems like the first instinct of a cop is to pull their weapon and fire and then worry about framing a story afterwards.

I don't think anyone watches the video above and thinks the cop was in the wrong, more why it took the cop so long to do something, but that video isn't about an unarmed minority simply being rude or giving talkback to an officer.  That suspect does a whole lot more.

That video is from January 1998, which is the first year tasers  were sold to police departments. 

I don't know what the rules of engagement concerning lethal force were back then or if they varied by state, but I suspect it's changed over time. It's possible that he wasn't allowed to fire until a weapon was drawn or aimed at him. It's also possible that he was reluctant to use lethal force even if he was permitted to do so  (too reluctant in this case). 

As far as people being shot by cops for being rude, I've seen a lot of shooting videos, I think that's pretty rare. I actually can't recall any like that. 

Shootings and circumstances surrounding them vary greatly. With seemingly everything recorded by either cops themselves or by bystanders, you can find videos like the one above where the cop didn't react quick enough (there's one where a cop is trying to get a guy to get off his motorcycle for a minute or so while the guy is digging into his clothes for a gun, shoots the cop and speeds away. He had already served time for killing someone and was released. The cop died.)  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3940026/Footage-alleged-New-Mexico-cop-killer-Davon-Lymon-shooting-dead-Daniel-Webster-traffic-stop-released-ahead-trial.html

And you can find videos of cops that seem to shoot too quickly or unnecessarily like the Shelby case. Each case should be looked at individually. 

Edited by grego

1 minute ago, killerbee99 said:

Maybe you should have gone with this then, instead of the "their own" line you spilled back there. 

People don't hate cops, just those who abuse their power and kill people for making the slightest wrong move and use lethal force unjustifiably. It's a tough job, and honestly th eye should be paid more to hire the best we have, but that's another story. 

Yet no one cares when white folks get killed by cops. At least to the same level of uproar. It's bogus.

"Their own" is used correctly there. Meaning your own damn neighborhood...your own community. Geez. 

If you want to make it racial I can. However, that is not the point. Point is that folks need to protect their own, look out for their own. 

I can not stand how folks try to make things racial that are not. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Yet no one cares when white folks get killed by cops. At least to the same level of uproar. It's bogus.

"Their own" is used correctly there. Meaning your own damn neighborhood...your own community. Geez. 

If you want to make it racial I can. However, that is not the point. Point is that folks need to protect their own, look out for their own. 

I can not stand how folks try to make things racial that are not. 

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was just wondering if you were having a "you people" moment. 

I agree that communites should make efforts to ensure the safety of each member in working with the police. However, when the police see the community as a source of the problem - they get the negative result that they are looking for.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, visionary said:

I wonder what brought this change, since that farce of a criminal case yielded zero convictions. Maybe the Undisclosed team, who have helped Serial's Adnan Syed get a new trial, have put some pressure on BPD since they began investigating. 

https://www.google.com/amp/cw39.com/2017/06/05/video-to-be-released-allegedly-showing-mans-beating-death-outside-dennys-restaurant-lawyer-say/amp/

Sheriff's Deputy allows her husband to choke a man to death over an altercation that began over public urination. 

Video from a bystander's camera phone shows the victim, who was Hispanic, was no threat to anyone as he fought to breathe. Meanwhile, two other bystanders with the Deputy tried to get the civilian recording to stop by lying and saying it was illegal and they could go to jail. 

Neither the Deputy or her husband have been charged with anything at this time. 

• Like 1

Here's a great example why the "he shouldn't have ran...." excuse that people deploy whenever police hospitalize a criminal is always a stupid, ridiculous, idiotic response to police brutality. 

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/06/07/cops-seen-on-video-kicking-innocent-victim-of-fiery-crash/amp/

New Jersey police were chasing a guy in a pursuit for six miles. Not only did they shot at his vehicle, which is considered to be wildly unsafe, but when the suspect's car crashed for the second time, he caused a fiery explosion. A man emerged from the crash, on fire. This man puts the fire out and immediately afterwards he is kicked in the face by a police officer. But unfortunately for all parties involved, the man they beat down was an innocent victim who's vehicle was caught on fire in the second crash. The police thought they were beating the suspect they were chasing. 

The mistaken identity does not change the fact that if they weren't thugs with a badge, drooling at the chance to beat someone down for running away from them, they wouldn't be about to lose their jobs and an innocent man wouldn't be fighting for his life in the hospital. 

But yeah, our President thinks we need to support this nonsense by pretending it doesn't exist.  

• Like 1

On 6/7/2017 at 7:17 PM, Gamebreaker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/cw39.com/2017/06/05/video-to-be-released-allegedly-showing-mans-beating-death-outside-dennys-restaurant-lawyer-say/amp/

Sheriff's Deputy allows her husband to choke a man to death over an altercation that began over public urination. 

Video from a bystander's camera phone shows the victim, who was Hispanic, was no threat to anyone as he fought to breathe. Meanwhile, two other bystanders with the Deputy tried to get the civilian recording to stop by lying and saying it was illegal and they could go to jail. 

Neither the Deputy or her husband have been charged with anything at this time. 

Murder charges for both.  Zero chance that happens without the phone video.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/08/us/houston-dennys-chokehold/index.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

Here's a great example why the "he shouldn't have ran...." excuse that people deploy whenever police hospitalize a criminal is always a stupid, ridiculous, idiotic response to police brutality. 

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/06/07/cops-seen-on-video-kicking-innocent-victim-of-fiery-crash/amp/

New Jersey police were chasing a guy in a pursuit for six miles. Not only did they shot at his vehicle, which is considered to be wildly unsafe, but when the suspect's car crashed for the second time, he caused a fiery explosion. A man emerged from the crash, on fire. This man puts the fire out and immediately afterwards he is kicked in the face by a police officer. But unfortunately for all parties involved, the man they beat down was an innocent victim who's vehicle was caught on fire in the second crash. The police thought they were beating the suspect they were chasing. 

The mistaken identity does not change the fact that if they weren't thugs with a badge, drooling at the chance to beat someone down for running away from them, they wouldn't be about to lose their jobs and an innocent man wouldn't be fighting for his life in the hospital. 

But yeah, our President thinks we need to support this nonsense by pretending it doesn't exist.  

This reminds me of a story one of my former coworkers once told me. He used to live in NC and he recounted a case where Cabarrus County's finest beat a kidnapping suspect to a pulp after a chase only to find out it was actually the kidnap victim. Back the blue y'all!

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 1