Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

6 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

It's impressive, the amount of use you get out of that thing.  So many of them are no doubt rusting in backyards.  Your neighbors must be continually drooling lol.

I love this thing, man.  I haven’t used my Genesis since I bought it.  Only the pellet smoker and the Blackstone these days.  I’d add a Weber kettle and a pizza oven and put the Genesis on marketplace if my wife wouldn’t divorce me for taking up every square inch of the deck.

• Like 2

Blackstones are so comical to me.  There’s no advantage to making pancakes and hash browns outside of your kitchen.  It’s just a weird social media/macho-ness marketing trend.

A few years from now, dudes will be posting pics about boiling water and making dirty rice “outdoors” while wearing flannel overalls on their townhouse balcony.

Also, this is just a general observation and not a drive-by on Battered Fan, an all-around cool dude and seemingly fantastic cook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Blackstones are so comical to me.  There’s no advantage to making pancakes and hash browns outside of your kitchen.  It’s just a weird social media/macho-ness marketing trend.

A few years from now, dudes will be posting pics about boiling water and making dirty rice “outdoors” while wearing flannel overalls on their townhouse balcony.

Also, this is just a general observation and not a drive-by on Battered Fan, an all-around cool dude and seemingly fantastic cook.

I guess it depends on who you are and what your household looks like.  The ability to cook a lot of food at once, as opposed to a pancake or two at a time, makes the BS worthwhile.  Beyond that the level of sear/color you get on food with a BS is unmatched.  Sure, I can sear one nice steak in a good pan in my house - but now my house smells like grease and smoke, and I can’t cook in volume.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

Posted (edited)

I had to get a 8" cast iron skillet to get my hash browns that color. That's mostly what I use it for, breakfast. I use the ceramic skillet for most everything else like omelettes and warming up anything.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

52 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Eh, we have two of them at our pool. They cook pancakes on them for morning swim meets. It’s really awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Eh, we have two of them at our pool. They cook pancakes on them for morning swim meets. It’s really awesome.

“Cooking pancakes for the swim meet” is really the only reasonable application for a Blackstone.

Also, want to add that I have 5 years experience in fine dining where 3 hippies with 4 gas burners and 8 pans did 150 plates a night, every night.  And we ain’t talking about 3 English muffins, a bag of Simply Potatoes and ONE EGG 😂 staged for an Instagram photo shoot.

Any idea that the mighty Blackstone has made indoor kitchens obsolete because of “the char” is total horse****.

Additionally, somebody here is either too stupid to know how fans and windows work (because the smell of someone cooking in the kitchen is just horrible, right??)…or worse, thinks that I am.

Edited by TradeTheBeal!

27 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

“Cooking pancakes for the swim meet” is really the only reasonable application for a Blackstone.

Also, want to add that I have 5 years experience in fine dining where 3 hippies with 4 gas burners and 8 pans did 150 plates a night, every night.  And we ain’t talking about 3 English muffins, a bag of Simply Potatoes and ONE EGG 😂 staged for an Instagram photo shoot.

Any idea that the mighty Blackstone has made indoor kitchens obsolete because of “the char” is total horse****.

Additionally, somebody here is either too stupid to know how fans and windows work (because the smell of someone cooking in the kitchen is just horrible, right??)…or worse, thinks that I am.

Point and tell us where the Blackstone hurt you.

🤣

• Haha 8

It looks good although I'm not a fan of kale, I use spinach. Next time I buy frozen spinach, buying leaf spinach instead of cut.

Tomorrow is grocery and meds day. I'm also making some pickled beets and eggs, made hard eggs tonight, cooling in the fridge overnight. I'm going to put some pickling spice in a fabric bag when I heat up and beets and liquid with some apple cider vinegar.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 9:58 AM, LadySkinsFan said:

I had to get a 8" cast iron skillet to get my hash browns that color. That's mostly what I use it for, breakfast. I use the ceramic skillet for most everything else like omelettes and warming up anything.

If I can't get something to brown, I'll throw it in the toaster oven on the "broil" setting and keep an eye on it.  (I like brown biscuits/pizza, so I don't mind crisping it up myself.) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Jalapeno poppers on the gasser for a late lunch. They taste good, but the heat is non-existent. 

😡

I quit growing them years ago and it's always hit or miss at the grocery store, heat-wise.  

20240623_140733.jpg

The pointy smaller ones are usually hotter.  Even so a lot of the grocery store jalapenos are pretty tame even here on the border. Look yummy 

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, The 12th Commandment said:

The pointy smaller ones are usually hotter.  Even so a lot of the grocery store jalapenos are pretty tame even here on the border. Look yummy 

Agreed and thanks!

The Latin grocery stores have good peppers sometimes. When I grew peppers, I'd  dice up Thai chiles, and add 'em to the cheese mixture.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Agreed and thanks!

The Latin grocery stores have good peppers sometimes. When I grew peppers, I'd  dice up Thai chiles, and add 'em to the cheese mixture.

We get serranos here and they will add any heat you need.  

Interesting method you have there, I've always done the classic stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon.  Sometimes I'll half a shrimp lengthwise and throw that in.  I have some green chile powder that is tasty and adds some heat and I'll sprinkle that on.  Yours looks kinda like a jalapeno crust pizza.  Not that that's bad

• Like 1