Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Washington Nationals Thread - Hot Stove News: Daniel Murphy signed, Phillips is an idiot.

Riggo#44

Everyone in this thread is a Nats fan.  But there appear to be two different sects:

1)  Those who are pissed that we aren't improving the team

2)  Those who think that Rizzo is some all-knowing wizard who has a plan

Frankly, I'm pissed.  Harper will not re-sign with this team as it's currently constructed.  He wants to win.

Everyone in this thread is a Nats fan. But there appear to be two different sects:

1) Those who are pissed that we aren't improving the team

2) Those who think that Rizzo is some all-knowing wizard who has a plan

Frankly, I'm pissed. Harper will not re-sign with this team as it's currently constructed. He wants to win.

That's three years from now. So much is going to change in that time span. Rizzo built this team and before him we were god awful. His drafts have been pretty good and most of his trades have turned out well. Sure there have been exceptions but calling for his head is outrageous. You can't fault him for not overpaying older players.

That's three years from now. So much is going to change in that time span. Rizzo built this team and before him we were god awful. His drafts have been pretty good and most of his trades have turned out well. Sure there have been exceptions but calling for his head is outrageous. You can't fault him for not overpaying older players.

I know nothing about baseball outside of watching most Nats games.  I'm just frustrated and it's clear we are missing on our targets.  I'm not calling for Rizzo's head by any means, but he's certainly not this all knowing "I'm a mile ahead of everyone" type that some think he is in here.  I heard that for years from Caps fan about McPhee.  Great at drafting, horrible in the trade and free agency market.  I'm seeing something similar out of Rizzo.

Do you think there is any chance we trade for Bautista or someone from Toronto?  I have seen a few reports that say they can't afford all of them next year.

I guess I'm in the second camp.  I don't think Rizzo is a genius, but I do think he is right more often than not, which is better than we're used to.

There are still several intriguing names on the free agent list, though I have no idea how much we're willing to shell out for them.  Dexter Fowler could be useful.  Chris Davis could be an interesting fit if we're okay with an all or nothing power bat.  It require shifting Zimmerman or Werth to a highly paid bench role, but I could see it.  Shoot, Johnny Cueto is available if we want to open the purse strings for another SP to replace Zimmermann, rather than giving the job back to Roark.  A potentially cheaper name to kick around might be Yovani Gallardo.

What's tough for me is I'm conditioned, by football free agency, to look for 25-28 year olds who could represent some value.  Most of the free agents in MLB are at least 30, but I'm conditioned to think they're about to fall off the cliff since many skill position players in the NFL hit a wall in their early 30's.

Rizzo is a good GM. We could certainly do worse(and we did with Bowden). But he's gotta start making moves or we're gonna fall farther and farther into the abyss. You can't just say "he's going to have us contending for the next decade." Doesn't really work like that. At some point you gotta strike while the iron is hot.

At some point you gotta strike while the iron is hot.

What does this even mean?

I am fine with not getting Zobrist--so long as the Mets didn't either. He is a fine player, and would have helped us, but there are other solutions--ones that aren't nearly as risky. At 35 (in May) Zobrist could fall off completely next year, and then that contract looks terrible.

I am taking a wait-and-see approach--Rizzo will make several significant moves--mostly in the bullpen. Escobar will get traded, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought in Neil Walker from Pittsburgh

Rizzo is a good GM. We could certainly do worse(and we did with Bowden). But he's gotta start making moves or we're gonna fall farther and farther into the abyss. You can't just say "he's going to have us contending for the next decade." Doesn't really work like that. At some point you gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Spending a ton of money hasn't exactly yielded the Dodgers a bunch of titles. I think what Rizzo is doing is the correct thing. You build your team through your farm system.

DC9

-If Rizzo were McPhee he would've dealt Harper away two years ago for an old guy that would be here a couple months and be misused.

Interesting:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal  22s22 seconds ago

Sources: #Nationals making push for free-agent RHP Mike Leake. Other clubs also aggressive. Leake played for Dusty Baker with #Reds.

If they brought in Leake, you'd have to think Roark is on the block?

What does this even mean?

I am fine with not getting Zobrist--so long as the Mets didn't either. He is a fine player, and would have helped us, but there are other solutions--ones that aren't nearly as risky. At 35 (in May) Zobrist could fall off completely next year, and then that contract looks terrible.

I am taking a wait-and-see approach--Rizzo will make several significant moves--mostly in the bullpen. Escobar will get traded, I wouldn't be surprised if he brought in Neil Walker from Pittsburgh

It means you gotta make a legit run at a title at some point or you just fade away.

The Caps had all those great teams, and all we heard was how they'd contend for the Cup every year. But eventually they had to fire the coach, go through a bit of a down stretch, before they went out and got a new GM and Coach and have bounced back.

This notion that we're just gonna be good every year for the next decade is a little silly. Team success fluctuates quite a bit and nothing can be taken for granted. The Mets are legit now. Its only a matter of time before the other teams in the division get better. Across the league you see the Cubs improving, the Diamondbacks, and we're already behind teams like the Cards Giants and Dodgers.

It means you gotta make a legit run at a title at some point or you just fade away.

The Caps had all those great teams, and all we heard was how they'd contend for the Cup every year. But eventually they had to fire the coach, go through a bit of a down stretch, before they went out and got a new GM and Coach and have bounced back.

This notion that we're just gonna be good every year for the next decade is a little silly. Team success fluctuates quite a bit and nothing can be taken for granted. The Mets are legit now. Its only a matter of time before the other teams in the division get better. Across the league you see the Cubs improving, the Diamondbacks, and we're already behind teams like the Cards Giants and Dodgers.

OK, what defines a "legit run at a title"? Spending money? Dodgers do that, haven't won a WS in almost 30 years. Sure they've won some playoff series, but really, is that worth $200+ million? The Royals are the darlings of baseball, yet, are not active in free agency. 

Being in contention year-in and year-out is the best any organization can plan for, rather than going "all-in" on one year--that almost never works.

OK, what defines a "legit run at a title"? Spending money? Dodgers do that, haven't won a WS in almost 30 years. Sure they've won some playoff series, but really, is that worth $200+ million? The Royals are the darlings of baseball, yet, are not active in free agency. 

Being in contention year-in and year-out is the best any organization can plan for, rather than going "all-in" on one year--that almost never works.

Yeah I tend to agree that striving for a perennially solid franchise is the way to go.  If you have the potential to contend year after year, then any season could be the one where you catch lightning in a bottle. 

The way people are hounding Rizzo about every non-signing makes me think they want the Nats to be the Redskins of the mid 90s...chasing any big name free agent out there. 

Rizzo is not all knowing and all-powerful but, geezus, let's give him a little leeway here.

Yeah I tend to agree that striving for a perennially solid franchise is the way to go.  If you have the potential to contend year after year, then any season could be the one where you catch lightning in a bottle. 

The way people are hounding Rizzo about every non-signing makes me think they want the Nats to be the Redskins of the mid 90s...chasing any big name free agent out there. 

Rizzo is not all knowing and all-powerful but, geezus, let's give him a little leeway here.

If you spend anytime on WNFF, you see this.

Rizzo has earned the benefit of the doubt, there is no magic formula for the playoffs. Look at Daniel Murphy--complete power surge from nowhere. Can anyone explain that?

Damn, I wanted Walker:

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal  4m4 minutes ago

Source: #Mets agree to trade Niese to #Pirates for Walker, pending medical reviews.

The Mets were better then us last year and are getting better while we have gotten worse.

At least we'll have lower expectations going into 2016. Maybe that'll do the team some good. Clearly they can't play under the pressure of being the favorite.

The Mets are getting better? They lost Cespedes and Murphy and Uribe and Johnson. They traded Niese for Walker.

Archived