Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tech question

BALLz

First off, I thought we had a thread for tech questions but i couldn't find it.

Anyway, here's my issue. For the last two weeks or so espn.com has not been displaying properly on my work computer. At first I thought it was an espn issue until i noticed it was fine at home. Then i thought is was an issue with our server at work but apparently im the only one with this problem. espn.com is the only site that doesn't display properly. I generally use firefox but it does the same thing when opened in chrome and explorer. It's only does it in the USA version of the site. but it does for every link in the USA version not just the home page. So if i just to look at MLB news or NCAAF news it doesn't display right. But if i go to espndeportes or UK everything looks fine.

I've attached a screen cap of what it looks like

espn.com.bmp

Looks like how a page might pull up on my phone if I'm in an area with bad coverage and it stops loading midway through.

Have you tried clearing out your cookies?  Only thing I can think of is perhaps you got a bad one, and something about the way it's communicating with the site is the cause.  And perhaps deportes/UK are fine since you haven't previously visited, and therefore don't have cookies from them.

Shot in the dark.  I don't know.  Good luck.

It looks like your browser downloaded a bad version of the stylesheet for the main page at some point, and its continuing to use that cached bad stylesheet.

Try holding down shift while you click the reload button on the page, and that'll reload everything within the page.

Actually, it looks like a web filter issue.  Do you use Websense, at work, for web filtering?  There could be a protocol that the page loads that is being blocked by Websense.  I have seen this at my work and it usually takes finding the offending block and allowing it. 

What would need to happen is the IT guys would need to look at the Real Time Monitor and filter it for your account and watch as you load the pages.  They should see what is being blocked.

Again, this is what I have seen with Websense, it may be similar in other web filtering software, but, I am not fully certain.

It looks like your browser downloaded a bad version of the stylesheet for the main page at some point, and its continuing to use that cached bad stylesheet.

Try holding down shift while you click the reload button on the page, and that'll reload everything within the page.

tried this this morning and it didn't help.

As for the websense filter. I'm not sure if we use that or not but there are 2 issues with that solutions. #1 asking the IT person to help me find out why i cant get on espn at work. #2 our IT person is an IT person by name only. Chances of her having a clue how to do that are 0%. Frankly, im surprised she manages to put her car in gear to get here every morning.

• 2 months later...

This is the closest I could find to a tech thread and just a heads up for people running their own businesses, or anybody else who may be interested. Avast is now offering free (there's always been a free version, but not technically legal for business use) for businesses. No need to pay for AntiVirus for your business anymore. I set this up on a small test network and it works great. There's a centralized web based management console and you use a downloaded installer to get the program on as many machines as you want. So far, it works on Mac and Windows machines only (says it works on Windows servers). Just wanted to let people know in case they wanted to save a little money, and needed a good AV solution for their businesses.

http://smallbiztrends.com/2015/02/avast-for-business-security.html

https://www.avast.com/en-us/business

I have a question, my safari browser keeps telling me flash needs to be updated, but Chrome runs flash perfectly well.

Google has their own plugins for some things so that could be why?  chrome://plugins/

Just tried that, didn't help. Thanks for the input tho

How far back did you go when you cleared cookies/cache?  If you only did recent, it could be that cookie/cache is still there.

BALLz - the reason it looks like that is that your computer isn't getting the style sheet (or reading the one its getting correctly) from ESPN. Style sheets are what tells your computer how to make the website look (colors, position, etc.)

Clearing your cache should fix it. If it doesn't try to load it on a different browser (if you have a different one) and see if it does the same thing.

I can't really think of any other reasons that would cause this for you and no one else using the same system...

web filter, security settings, etc - all should mean more than just you having this issue.

Archived