Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: Some Seahawks Players Think Russell Wilson Isn't Black Enough

pcbothwel

When I hear people complain that a black man isn't black enough all I hear is people that want black people to fit into whatever stereotype they have in their head for how a black person should act/behave/look/dress/etc. The willful perpetuation of stereotypes is, in my opinion, worse than believing in them. It's a special kind of racism. People should just be allowed to live their lives in whatever way suits them with the only condition being that it doesn't harm another person or another person's property. In Wilson's case, the only thing that matters is if he can play football and to this point he's proven that he can. Anything more about how black he is or isn't is just perpetuating racial stereotypes and divisions that continue to plague this country.

Nabisco is clearly to blame. By dictionary definition, Oreo is a racial slur, yet they refuse to change the name of their cookies, despite its blatantly racist origins. Illegitimacy, gang violence, the crack epidemic - all these things are just by-products of the humiliation African Americans are forced to endure everytime they walk down a snack aisle, and an American corporation is makings millions in profits from their enduring misery. It's time to #changethecookie.org

Nabisco is clearly to blame. By dictionary definition, Oreo is a racial slur, yet they refuse to change the name of their cookies, despite its blatantly racist origins. Illegitimacy, gang violence, the crack epidemic - all these things are just by-products of the humiliation African Americans are forced to endure everytime they walk down a snack aisle, and an American corporation is makings millions in profits from their enduring misery. It's time to #changethecookie.org

that was a good one. :D

well played, sir. 

Another interesting link off that article... apparently Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll is a 9/11 Truther.  Either that or "He's just asking questions, man."

Is Seahawks coach Pete Carroll a 9/11 truther? That all depends: Does badgering a former four-star general about whether 9/11 was real make one a truther?

Here's what happened, according to a couple sources: Late last spring, retired general Peter Chiarelli, who had just finished his term as the Army's vice chief of staff, visited Carroll at the Seattle Seahawks headquarters. Chiarelli was expecting a pleasant meeting. After all, the pair had what important businesspeople tend to call synergies: Chiarelli—who grew up in Seattle—is a big Seahawks fan. His post-military work concerns traumatic brain injury research, a cause of some significance to the NFL. And both have plenty of experience leading groups of men on grand American stages.

The sit-down between Chiarelli and Carroll started off normally enough. They talked about the team, and then about head trauma. Chiarelli, who commanded the American forces in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom II, talked about the brain injuries he had seen there. But Chiarelli's mention of Iraq sent Carroll in another direction: He wanted to know if the September 11 attacks had been planned or faked by the United States government.

In particular, Carroll wanted to know whether the attack on the Pentagon had really happened. Chiarelli—who was the top-ranking Army official inside the Pentagon when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into its western side—explained that it had. He said he had lost many colleagues. But Carroll didn't stop there. He ran through the whole 9/11 truther litany.

"Every 9/11 conspiracy theory you can think of, Pete asked about," said Riki Ellison, the former NFL linebacker who now runs the Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance and introduced Carroll to Chiarelli. Ellison, along with Seahawks offensive line coach Pat Ruel, was at the meeting as well.

http://deadspin.com/is-pete-carroll-a-9-11-truther-513149713

I have a great nephew who is bi-racial and he's 3. My 2nd cousin also has a bi-racial son who is almost 4. One thing that makes me sad is I see families who want ithe bi-racial child to side with one race or the other in identifying themselves. I see kids with Russell Wilson's skintone (both our kids look similar to Russell's skin tone) but they want them to say they are black and to not even acknowledge their white heritage. I think that's wrong.

It's neither here not there, but I'm of Indian (subcontinent) descent, though born in Fairfax VA. My religion is Parsi, (which I'm sure 99% of the board hadn't even heard of, and I don't really practice anyway) my wife is a redheads episcopalian from Louisiana.

Our daughter is 8 months old, and my hope is that she grows up and embraces both cultures. She's already been baptized. But she's going to learn about my religion as well. I hope she's able to learn and embrace her very diverse backgrounds.

The only slightly odd thing is that, at least for now she's completely white with blonde hair.

I think this story is a load of crap. I used to occasionally read Freeman columns on cbssports and the guy is a ****in dweeb. I think Seahawk players don't like Wilson shacking it up with upper management and they don't view him as one of the employees or guys in the field. Freeman took that and turned it into a race issue.

Since people like to discuss race issues in the NFL no one thought to second guess the report (except surprisingly Skip Bayless) and take the report for its word.

Plus Wilson is black enough when you have multiple posters on here that try to discredit his success on the football field.

I've gotten that one my whole life

Liking hockey, baseball, soccer, pro wrestling, alt music, and star wars will do that lol

But it feels good seeing someone other than Griff get skewered. 

RW is pretty ****ing wack though. I remember when he went to that Nets game with Jay and Bey and dressed up like he was going to church lol. I mean Wilson makes RG3 look cool 

I hope this post is sarcasm.

Hip hop doesnt claim that corny ass dude

Lol...I know plenty of brothas that like pro wrestling, baseball and Star Wars.

There was also a report that Wilson was too close to management and it was causing rifts in the locker room.

I think this story is a load of crap. I used to occasionally read Freeman columns on cbssports and the guy is a ****in dweeb. I think Seahawk players don't like Wilson shacking it up with upper management and they don't view him as one of the employees or guys in the field. Freeman took that and turned it into a race issue.

This seems more like the crux of the issue.  I agree with Momma & Burgundy in this regard.

Plus Wilson is black enough when you have multiple posters on here that try to discredit his success on the football field.

Ah yes, excellent observation.

Archived