Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(CSN) Week 3 stats: Kirk Cousins is playing out of his mind

StrangeClouds

Guess he was also out of his mind when he threw the game ending interception to lose the game for us. Sorry, he can keep all the nice little checkdown stats he wants and take them to whatever team offers him a starting job. Without an elite defense he'll never get anybody to the playoffs, he's a game manager who does ok as long as the defense holds up. Once the pressure is on him he starts to stink, he turns the ball over, he can't win any games. Just like last year when the defense didn't have his back either when RG3 went down. That's the difference. RG3 gets the job done, when healthy. Cousins is a career backup.

How many games did Robert win for us when he was healthy?

Guess he was also out of his mind when he threw the game ending interception to lose the game for us. Sorry, he can keep all the nice little checkdown stats he wants and take them to whatever team offers him a starting job. Without an elite defense he'll never get anybody to the playoffs, he's a game manager who does ok as long as the defense holds up. Once the pressure is on him he starts to stink, he turns the ball over, he can't win any games. Just like last year when the defense didn't have his back either when RG3 went down. That's the difference. RG3 gets the job done, when healthy. Cousins is a career backup.

Well to be fair, 427 yds passing is a little more than "game-managing" (81 yard TD to Jax sure wasn't a check down); and the INT did not end the game.  We still had a chance to tie or win the game with the ball at the Eagles 40 on that last drive.  We just stalled.   

Lord, this place sometimes.

Checkdown? 

Did you miss the 81yarder to DJax? Or the wheel route to Niles?

Are you even alive? lol

Probably wouldn't take much to find plenty of QBs over the years that did that.  To me, that just doesn't scream "elite".  Seriously, I'm not knocking Cousins though; I am happy he is doing well.  I just think it's a bit premature at this point to claim he could be elite after two decent games.  

Lets just put it this way so my comments don't get misconstrued as "Cousins hating".  I just want to see consistent success before I'll jump on the "he can be elite" bandwagon.   He's only started five games total.  And in the two he's played in so far this year, I've seen good and bad things.  If he continues that success, it means we're competitive and I wouldn't be happier.  I just want to see a larger sample size before I claim he can, or will be elite.  

If the rest of this team would play out of their minds, especially ST, we would start blowing teams off the field with this kind of play from our QB.

Until Kirk comes through and brings a team back from a deficit in the 4th quarter, he cannot be considered elite or even excellent.  That applies to any QB.  Kevin Kolb had some huge games off the bench for the Eagles a few years back, didn't mean he was elite.  He needs to find a way to have an excellent 4th quarter and get a win against a QUALITY opponent…I think he gets it on Thursday!

I just want to see consistent success before I'll jump on the "he can be elite" bandwagon.   He's only started five games total.  And in the two he's played in so far this year, I've seen good and bad things.  If he continues that success, it means we're competitive and I wouldn't be happier.  I just want to see a larger sample size before I claim he can, or will be elite.  

That's completely fair. 

It's a gigantic, bolded, underlined IF, but if he's able to sustain this level of play (give or take) while Griffin is out, we will need to start taking notice. 

Probably the dumbest post I've read here in quite some time.

Checkdowns?  Kirk was slinging that ball down the field.  RGIII was allegedly healthy last year.  We went 3-10.  Got the job done, right? 

Honestly, people need to let 2012 go.  That RGIII is gone.

You have had an agenda your entire time here.  Try to use rational ideas though.

Back to back 300 yard games with 5 TD to 1 pick and over 65% completion percentage.m

^This!  

I'm a huge supporter & apologist of RGIII, but Captain Kirk is playing very, very well.  If he continues to play this well until RGIII is ready to go, I'm of the mind we should keep RGIII on the bench to hold Kirk's clipboard and LEARN.

Kirk is playing great. I hope he continues to play great because that means our team has a better chance to win. But the rush to annoint him as potentially "elite", the absolutely MUST be starter, or a definitive franchise guy off this two game sample size needs to slow down a bit. There's no reason we need to rush into anything right now, and doing so usually means you're not getting a very accurate picture because of sample size.

As an example, I give you this. It's a two game sample size of a recent NFL backup QB:

96.9 QB rating

4 TDs, 3 Ints

65% Completion Percentage

359 yards per game

Or an even more eye popping sample size of a recent NFL backup QB:

118.3 QB rating

9 TDs, 2 Ints

68% completion percentage

365.5 yards per game

The first was Kevin Kolb, the second was Matt Flynn. Both are out of the NFL right now.

Am I suggesting Cousins is definitely Matt Flynn or Kevin Kolb? Not at all. What I'm suggesting is that a two game sample size isn't the end all be all, and instead of desperately attempting to rush to judgement on things we don't need to decide now that we slow our role a bit.

Appreciate what Kirk is doing, commend him for it, support the team...but tap the breaks on the "elite" talk or declaring with great certainty what the future holds, or should hold, for this team.

I leave you with one final two game split, to not pump up the player this split belongs to but to demonstrate why attempting to extrapolate 2 games out to a career is a poor idea.

145.1 QB Rating

8 TDs to 1 Int

79% completion percentage

252 passing yards, 320 total yards per game

Looks to me either its a fanboy or cousin haters. .how about another approach letting cousins play and develop.. .if the skins was a complete team we probably would be 2 and 1 right now..we faced Philly at home and hung right in there with them ..but no thats not good enough for some around here...special teams is a far more concern right now than cousins..im glad that we got rg3 and cousins right now..what you want sexy rexy back again..really...be glad we got some q.b talent these days.

What has Cousins done to make you think he can be elite?  I like the guy and think he could be solid; but nothing he has done has made me think he could be another Rodgers, Brady, or Brees type.  One 400 yard game doesn't convince me he'll be elite.  But that's just me. 

He said elite "potential".  Kirk has shown he can play at a very high level, so the potential is there.  The question is, can he still get better and consistently play at a high level over time?  The last couple of weeks is plenty of reason for those starved for good QB play to be excited.  I think he's fun to watch.  Heck, on ESPN 980, they said Kirk was the 1st QB since Brunell (2004 or 2005, can't remember which year) to throw two TDs in the 1st quarter.  I couldn't believe that stat when I first heard it.  10 years.....SMH.

Heck, on ESPN 980, they said Kirk was the 1st QB since Brunell (2004 or 2005, can't remember which year) to throw two TDs in the 1st quarter.  I couldn't believe that stat when I first heard it.  10 years.....SMH.

As I pointed out on another thread, RG3 threw two TDs in the 1st quarter against the Seahawks in the playoffs.

The first was Kevin Kolb, the second was Matt Flynn. Both are out of the NFL right now.

So much this. I've been on the Cousins bandwagon since last season, but seriously, a two game stretch of good games is a bit small on the sample size to be making any inferences.

Really, an entire season isn't enough to really know how good a player is. That's why we're all so torn on RG3. 2012 he had one of the best rookie seasons ever. And yet, 2013 wiped that all out. So now we really have no idea what RG3 is. And we likely won't know anytime soon due to this injury (Will he finish out this season? There's a good chance he doesn't play again until 2015 if Cousins plays well or he's not healed).

With Cousins, we honestly won't even know what we have 3 weeks from now unless he continues his performances from the last two weeks. But playing against the Seahawks and Cardinals is going to be rough. And while the Giants sounds like a cake walk, it's still a divisional game -- and on a short week no less.

What has Cousins done to make you think he can be elite? I like the guy and think he could be solid; but nothing he has done has made me think he could be another Rodgers, Brady, or Brees type. One 400 yard game doesn't convince me he'll be elite. But that's just me.

You're right because it's WAY too early to make that call on Cousins but he did things in his 5th NFL start that you would associate with elite QB play. That means jack for the future but it's hard to say there are no reasons for optimism.

If Kirk comes in and balls out this week against the Giants, I think we can all get excited for our QB.  And to get a win would solidify that he's a legit starter capable of performing against division opponents.

No matter if you're a RG3 guy or a Kirk guy (I'm a REDSKINS guy), we all want to win.  Let's get a win.

I had been saying a week ago--at that moment--Cousins' ceiling was Andy Dalton/Matt Hasselbeck. Right now--at this moment--I think Cousins' ceiling is now Tony Romo (<---heh heh lol). Not that they're the same type of QB but rather that he's looking like a possible top 10 QB who will put points on the board with consistency, but seeming to make just enough INTs/bad throws to keep him from getting over the hump. One thing Cowboys fans have been saying for years now is "We wouldn't even have been in a position to win the game if it weren't for Romo!!"...and it's usually said after he throws a boneheaded INT late in the game. I seriously hope we don't find ourselves saying similar things with Cousins, because it will mean that we're losing even if he's putting up fantasy football-type points...and that he's also a very real part of the reason we lost.

One difference, though, is that if Romo were in Cousins' shoes against the Eagles, he wouldn't have failed to move his team past the 40 yard line in the last two minutes...he would have definitely moved them into FG range if not the red zone. But he would have thrown a mind-numbing INT as well lol. Then half the Cowboys' fans would be blaming the WR for the INT. I really do not want to become the Cowboys, dammit...so if Cousins ends up being "the" guy, PLEASE develop into a finisher and move us past the occasional one-and-out in the playoffs. Amen.

Archived