Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Jags FINAL - Audio & Pics now up

JimmiJo

A new era is about to begin.  Todays game would probably been won by us no matter who QB played, but with Griffin, this game would have been a nail biter.  Thats the problem some have with RG.  He’s holding back the offense because he can no longer run properly.  i can say that philli coaches are much more concerned playing against Cousins than RG based on last years and this years play.

Were you watching the game - I was at the Game - RGIII looked like he was back to 2012 . He tossed some really nice passes - the deep ball was a completion that the refs blew - both teams went down the field and lined up at the spot of the catch when they saw it on the screen in the stadium.  This game would have been a blow out with RGIII in or with Cousins in.  It was very disappointing to see RGIII get hurt, he was going to have one hell of a game there.  Any one who didnt see that is just an RGIII hater, and this is not the time to hate on someone who is hurt. Discuss his play but don't just make stuff up because you don't like RGIII. And Ill take RGIII or Cousins, anyone who can lead the team to the playoffs.

I used to be concerned about regulars contributing on teams. Specifically, returners. Long time fans remember DGreen hurdling a Bear, tearing up a rib.  I finally changed my tune. A WR can get injured in practice as likely as returning one of 5 kicks a game; think of all the countless reps players get in OTA's and practices.  Dreaded preseason. DeSean returned kicks, Santana.... football itself is a risky sport, but coaches have to use their best players.

Mop up duty yesterday, every single play is just as dangerous as a return. Sure enough, Young got hurt.

If a returner or any guy does down, another has to step up. We as fans are just keyboard GMs spectators.

That all said, watch Santana be back for PR duty next week, and Roberts focused on offensive duties.

I actually tend to disagree.  I think ST is one of the more violent parts of football.  You have guys who have a full field-length run down and the collisions can be very violent.

Sure, injuries can happen anywhere, but I think if you've got a real contributor on offense/defense, then you want to limit the amount of opportunities where they can get injured, at least to a point.  

I would like to see Santana out there returning punts and Roberts returning kick-offs until DJax is back.  And as far as Niles, I'm ok with him as a gunner, but if something happened to him, the drop-off between him and the next guy on both ST and Offense is pretty large. 

I actually tend to disagree.  I think ST is one of the more violent parts of football.  You have guys who have a full field-length run down and the collisions can be very violent....

Agree it's violent, but the entire sport is, just more at random times.

WRs getting hit by DBs catching passes = the most dangerous. By far.

PR can fair catch it, or let it bounce into the end zone. Kickoffs are through the uprights like never before. Less returns than ever before, I contend. The wedge is banned. The rules favor offenses and scoring, punting may be down. Others may argue the equipment is safer (not me).  The times have changed.

The chances to get injured on special teams has never been more minimized IMHO.  Again, it is voilent. That Akeem hit, my lord.

Maybe it comes down to returners protecting themselves. Or Gruden telling Roberts to do the same. Fair catch it / play it safe today.

I was impressed with GHH's favorite player "Swiss Army Niles" , looks like our patience with the guy might just pay off because it looks like Cousins and Him have built an outstanding rapport. 

Now on to RGIII (He was hurt at the 9:47 mark of the 1st quarter) the guy was 2-3 38 yards passing 2 rushing attempts for 22 yards and the 1 incompletion was the 50 yard bomb to Desean Jackson that we got robbed and they called incomplete.

The kid RGIII was actually playing VERY well this game but with that said i'm 100% behind cousins for the time being if he continues to play well like he did in yesterdays game , against the rest of the teams on our schedule. The eagles are not going to be a slouch and they are going to send the house and pressure Cousins so lets just hope Cousins isn't a fluke and really is legit. 

The bright side is RGIII and Cousins (if he plays well) are worth a 1st round pick we might be able to get one if cousins lights it up this year.

RGIII is worth a 1st off potential alone and Cousins would be worth a 1st if he plays well like he did yesterday for the remainder of the season. 

Man, I can't help but think this season looks positive. Rg3 doesn't look to be done for the year, Djax will be fine and our draft picks and new look defense is lighting it up.

I am still optimistic as well. We hear how so many great QBs were groomed for a few years. This bodes well for Cousins, who also has gotten some starts under his belt to help him learn what he needs to work on. 

After game 1, Gruden's adjustments seemed perfect. MUCH improved. Now he has a week to get a Cousins friendly playbook finalized, and an almost full game of tape to go over. 

The defense is night and day from last year, which should keep us in most games. 

I really want DJax to get out there against Philly. Chip on the shoulder game.  Err but with a shoulder, if not 100% he could be a deep decoy. Sort of what we did with Garcon in 2012 with his foot. Make the defense account for him. And we know they will be paying him close attention. 

Watch how the colts attack the eagles tonight. I think they're going to do a lot if controlled passing, running and take a shot or two.

The best thing that the skins can do offensively is keep the Philly offense holding hands in the sidelines eating kale chips.

Morris/Helu/Redd should have 40 carries, and cousins needs 25 completions. The can be for 3 yards each.

That's how you beat the eagles.

Went to game ... here are my 5 take aways:

1.  Couisns loves to stand tall in pocket ... but his favorite play is boot ... he is deadly with it.

2.  Helu is under-appreciated.  Too bad he is injury prone.

3.  Trent Robinson is fluid in his movements and has energy that is infectious.

4.  Ryan Kerrigan's career game aided susbtantially by pressure from Hatcher/Baker/Orakpo..

5.  Ryan Grant, Niles Paul and Andre Roberts were almost clinical in efficiency. 

Maybe someone can answer this for me....

Why was the DJax throw from Griffin overturned, but the Niles Paul touchdown stood?  To me, it looked like the ball came loose (or was wresteled away) at about the same time. 

'Cuz the zebras suck like a cougar at a frat party?!? Is this a trick question?

Maybe someone can answer this for me....

Why was the DJax throw from Griffin overturned, but the Niles Paul touchdown stood?  To me, it looked like the ball came loose (or was wresteled away) at about the same time. 

The DJax throw from RG3 wasn't overturned, it was called an incomplete pass on the field and the refs (wrongly) said the call on the field stood. The Niles Paul TD was called a TD on the field and the call stood as well. 

The DJax throw from RG3 wasn't overturned, it was called an incomplete pass on the field and the refs (wrongly) said the call on the field stood. The Niles Paul TD was called a TD on the field and the call stood as well. 

Well, you know what I mean....

Why was one ruled incomplete and the other a TD?  Like I said, the ball came loose (or was wrestled away) at about the same time. 

NO consistency from the refs. 

Why was one ruled incomplete and the other a TD? Like I said, the ball came loose (or was wrestled away) at about the same time.

The refs had niles Paul in their fantasy football team and needed some points...duh. Djax catching a pass does nothing for their team.

Why was one ruled incomplete and the other a TD?  Like I said, the ball came loose (or was wrestled away) at about the same time. 

Well the problem is, as they said on the coverage, this is a "stand league", i.e. the refs are very hesitant to overturn rulings unless it is very clear. I think most of us believe that it should have been overturned and had it been called a catch on the field I am sure again they wouldn't have overturned it, just the way they ref these days but I agree, no consistency with the actual rule. 

Archived