Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Jags FINAL - Audio & Pics now up

JimmiJo

jags_zps01441d8b.gif

Greetings, JimmiJo here running late (as always). Big thanks to TK for starting the thread. I half-expected to see my confession of cross-dressing (not that there is anything wrong with it).

I am going to grab a bite and be right back.

LIVE STREAM with Larry, Sonny, & Cooley

980_zpsf05a3cfc.gif

watchfor_zps8e79fc6b.gif• The Redskins improving to 30-15 in home openers since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. The Redskins are seeking their first victory in a home opener since a 28-14 win over the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants in 2011.

• The Redskins opening their home slate in Week 2 for the first time since 2009. Washington has won its last two Week 2 home openers, including Week 2 wins in debuts at FedEx- Field in 2008 and 2009.
• Head Coach Jay Gruden pushing Redskins head coaches to 16-11-1 all-time in home debuts.
• Gruden becoming the fourth straight Redskins coach to win his home debut.
• Nose tackle Barry Cofield, Jr. extending his streak of 81 consecutive starts, the most among active NFL defensive tackles.
• Kicker Kai Forbath improving upon his current streak of 14 consecutive made field goal attempts, dating back to last season. His career-best streak is 17, set to open his career in 2012.
• Wide receiver Pierre Garçon extending his streak of consecutive games with five or more receptions. Garçon’s active 17-game streak is the longest in team history and tied with Pittsburgh’s Antonio Brown for the longest active streak in the NFL.
• Garçon catching five passes to become only the fourth player in NFL history with 18 consecutive games with five or more receptions (Jimmy Smith, 21 from 2000-02; Laveranues Coles 19 from 2002-03; Sterling Sharpe, 18 from 1993-94).
• Cornerback DeAngelo Hall intercepting a pass to give him 24 interceptions as a member of the Redskins, which would tie him with Ken Houston for ninth-most in team history.
• Hall returning a fumble for a touchdown to tie Jessie Tuggle for the second-most in NFL history (five). Hall’s four career fumble return touchdowns are currently tied for third in NFL history with Bill Thompson, Derrick Thomas, Keith Bulluck and Ronde Barber.
• Hall returning a fumble for a touchdown to become the first player in NFL history with five fumble returns for touchdowns and five interception returns for touchdowns.
• Quarterback Robert Griffin III (36) recording three passing touchdowns to tie Jay Schroeder for 10th-most in Redskins history (39).
• Griffin III scoring a rushing touchdown to tie Eddie LeBaron, Mark Rypien and Norm Snead for fourth-most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in Redskins history (eight).
• Running back Alfred Morris scoring a rushing touchdown to tie Andy Farkas and Gerald Riggs (21) for 10th-most in team history.
• Morris gaining 21 rushing yards to reach 3,000 for his career. Morris would become the 11th player to rush for 3,000 yards with the Redskins, joining John Riggins, Clinton Portis, Larry Brown, Stephen Davis, Terry Allen, Earnest Byner, Cliff Battles, Mike Thomas, Ladell Betts and Don Bosseler.
• Morris rushing for 100 yards for the 11th time in his career.
• Wide receiver Santana Moss scoring a touchdown to tie former teammate Clinton Portis for ninth-most total touchdowns in team history (49).
• Linebacker Brian Orakpo notching two sacks to tie Ken Harvey (41.5) for fourth on the team’s all-time sack list.
• Orakpo recording half a sack to become the fifth player in team history to register 40 sacks with the Redskins (Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, Monte Coleman and Ken Harvey).

winwould_zps355d0f1d.gif... even the Redskins’ record at 1-1
... be the first in the NFL head coaching career of Head Coach Jay Gruden.
... make Gruden the 16th head coach in franchise history to win his Redskins home debut.
... improve Washington to 30-15 in home openers since the 1970 merger.
... snap a nine-game regular season losing streak.
... make the Redskins 8-6 against the AFC South since divisional realignment in 2002.
... improve the Redskins to 5-3 against AFC squads in their last eight meetings.
... push the Redskins’ all-time record against the Jaguars to 5-1.

stripebreak_zpsef454232.gif

ANNOUNCEMENT OF INACTIVES

LANDOVER, Md. – The Washington Redskins have announced the following inactives and lineup changes for today’s game against the Jacksonville Jaguars:

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 16 QB Colt McCoy

o   No. 22 CB Tracy Porter

o   No. 54 LB Akeem Jordan

o   No. 60 G Spencer Long

o   No. 64 DE Kedric Golston

o   No. 86 TE Jordan Reed

o   No. 89 WR Santana Moss

No. 82 Logan Paulsen is expected to start in place of Reed at tight end.

The Jaguars declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 34 RB Storm Johnson

o   No. 37 S Johnathan Cyprien

o   No. 67 T Austin Pasztor

o   No. 69 G Tyler Shatley

o   No. 72 T Josh Wells

o   No. 84 WR Cecil Shorts III

o   No. 86 TE Clay Harbor

No. 26 Josh Evans is expected to start in place of Cyprien at safety.

No. 88 Allen Hurns is expected to start in place of Shorts at wide receiver.

On Saturday, the Jaguars signed No. 20 S Craig Loston and waived No. 98 DE Chris Smith. Loston (6-2, 209) is a 24-year-old rookie out of LSU.

stripebreak_zpsef454232.gif

"I just wish they would let him run, and if he gets hurt, so be it," - overheard walking in the stadium

More and more this seems to be the prevailing sentiment; unleash Robert Griffin III to do what he does best, be a running quarterback. Not that I think the fan who said this wanted him injured, but rather the sense of frustration that Griffin is not being as effective as he once was now that he is trying to be a pocket-passer.

No matter where you come down on Griffin's play so far, I think we can all agree it is still a work in progress. He played well enough to continue the experiment and let's hope he takes that next step today. Jacksonville is a team the Redskins should beat and as long as they do folks will be patient. Lose today however...

Be sure to follow me on Twitter @Skinscast

Half

Amazing events in that first half. Griffin is out, presumably for some time. DeSean Jackson likewise done for the day. But the offense came to play, racking up over 300 yards and 21 points. And but for yet another missed tackle by Bacarri Rambo, almost played a perfect half. 

Will update you on injuries if I hear anything.

Heads Up

Because of the magnitude of events related to injuries, I will likely do the podium and not the locker room. This means probably no audio unless Spiff gets us some. 

Gamer

The big news is of course Robert Griffin’s injury. I am not a doctor, but this sure feels like his year is over from here.

Prior to his injury, Griffin looked better than at any time since his rookie year. The first play from scrimmage was the zone read and from then on, he looked his old self. I asked him after the game if the return to the zone read was more about Jacksonville’s defense, or him being true to himself. His answer was along the lines of the offense establishing what they do well more so than taking what was available.

I took that to mean Griffin conscientiously decided to run again. The irony is of course, that it was a non-contact injury that happened in the act of throwing a great pass.

Next up was Kirk Cousins and all he did was 22/33 for 250 yards and two touchdowns to finish with a passer rating of 109.4. This in the midst of a 449-yard offensive effort. Let me type that longhand; Four Hundred, Forty-nine yards. The Redskins ran up 191-yards rushing. They dominated time of possession 39:01 to 20:59.

They had 32 first downs compared to just eight for goodness sakes. And best of all, they hung 41-points on Jacksonville.

Big ups to head coach Jay Gruden for the job he did play-calling. Jacksonville looked confused much of the game. If was an effective mix of run and pass and the proof was in the scoreboard.

Then there was the defense.

Ten sacks to equal the team record set in 1977. Ryan Kerrigan had four sacks himself. Jason Hatcher is arguably the biggest offseason acquisition. Jacksonville’s drives looked something like this; punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, touchdown, punt, punt, punt, interception, field goal, downs.

But for two big plays, one of which featured a tackle by a safety and one of which did not, it was a banner day for a squad much improved over last year.

Then there was special teams. Andre Roberts is a significant upgrade as a returner. Washington won the field position battle early, which set the table for their success.

Based on performances so far this year you have to say Washington chose wisely when retaining Jim Haslett.

But before we get too excited, let’s remember they played arguably the worst team in football. Next week, they go on the road to play division-rival Philadelphia. And this with the slew of injuries suffered today. For those clamoring for Kirk Cousins to start; fate has answered your prayers. But for the record please recall past efforts off the bench were brilliant to be followed by so-so performances as starter.

Let’s hope he has changed.

So enough with the negativity. This team played magnificently today and this is something to celebrate. You often hear coaches and players say that when one guy goes down, another needs to step up. This happened today, over and over. I will close out with my list of game balls and envelope entries (Skinscast listeners will know what I mean by that).

Game Balls

Robert Griffin III – A return to his roots was doing wonders. Too bad he got hurt.
Kirk Cousins – He owned it
Alfred Morris – Two TDs and 85 yards
Niles Paul – Banner day, he’s like Jordan Reed, only healthier
Ryan Kerrigan – Maniac
Jason Hatcher – Difference Maker
Andre Roberts – Returns AND receptions

Envelope

Bacarri Rambo – I know a good recruiter if you need it (and you do)

15240019692_2605b2591f.jpg

Photos by Spaceman Spiff

https://soundcloud.com/extremeskins/sets/redskins-post-game-week-2-2014

I will see you again next week live from Philly.

See ya!

Archived