Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014-2015 Washington Capitals Thread - Caps Trade for TJ OSHIE. Kuzy re-ups!

DC9

• 2 weeks later...

Caps re-sign Grubi to a 2 year, 1 way deal. Meaning he is the back-up to Holtby next year and Peters is destined to be Copley's back-up in Hershey.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2015/06/15/capitals-re-sign-philipp-grubauer/

The Washington Capitals re-signed goaltender Philipp Grubauer to a two-year, one-way contract Monday afternoon, formally paving the way for him to back up Braden Holtby next season.

Grubauer, who would have entered restricted free agency this summer, will be paid $650,000 in 2015-16 and $850,000 in 2016-17.

I see that Nicky got some kind of a hip procedure and the rehab is likely to last five months. 

We need to go ahead and tend to the offense this offseason.  I think will be the offseason that defines the Ovechkin era.  Have to have two legitimate positive players on the top 2 lines this year.  Preferably two scorers... now with Nickey out until basically December, that need is maximized.

Some of yall have got to stop ******** about the Caps not winning the cup.  Complain all you want when Ovechkin's time with the team is over, but there is still a long way to go before the window closes.  No matter the outcome of this past season, this is as high as I've been on a Caps team in years.  We have good structure both on/off the ice, so hopefully this will one day lead to us watching the Caps being champs.  I'm not going to sit here and ***** and moan because we didn't win.  The Caps are trending in the right direction and should be one of the favorites to come out of the East. 

Blackhawks are a dynasty.  Winning one, let along 3 championships in 6 years (I think) is a CRAZY feat in today's league when you have salary cap constraints, better strategies, etc.  Coming away with the cup, IMO, is the single-most grueling feat in the four major sports (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB).  It was just revealed that Ben Bishop was playing with a torn groin.  That sums up how much these guys are leaving on the ice and how badly that want to win...Speaking of winning, there is SO much that has to go right for a team to skate away with the Cup.  Think about it...if Patrick Kane doesn't get hurt, the Hawks don't get the cap relieft to make a move for Vermette.  And that happened in the regular season. 

It is what it is...congrats to the Hawks.  But the offseason has started...so as Caps fans, let's focus on the future. 

They've been "trending" in the right direction for years.  Believe it when I see it.

I mean, I'm really not "mad" anymore.  Just disappointed. We've had Ovie for 10 years and we have gotten only to the 2nd round. We've had cup caliber teams.  We've under-acheived. It's just sad at this point. 

I just have no expectations anymore. I know I'll never see a cup out of this team. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with enjoying regular season hockey and an occassional playoff appearance.

Whatever.

They've been "trending" in the right direction for years.  Believe it when I see it.

I mean, I'm really not "mad" anymore.  Just disappointed. We've had Ovie for 10 years and we have gotten only to the 2nd round. We've had cup caliber teams.  We've under-acheived. It's just sad at this point. 

I just have no expectations anymore. I know I'll never see a cup out of this team. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with enjoying regular season hockey and an occassional playoff appearance.

Whatever.

No, they haven't. They trended the right direction from the time Bruce took over until after the Montreal series. The trended slightly up for the Hunter "season". They trended the wrong direction for the 2 years Oates was in charge.

Them trending the right direction is new. 

Whatever.

The teams were flawed and not built well. 

If you can't see the difference in the structure of the 14-15 Caps team and the teams in years' past, then I dunno what to tell ya. 

We have excellent goaltending, defense, and are starting to get a lot stronger up the middle.  THAT is how you build a contender.  GMBM's priority (and he's said it) is finding a winger for the top 6 either in FA or via trade. 

I trust his vision 100%. 

Toews is the best player in the NHL and Kane isn't that far behind. You can call that team a dynasty for sure. I wonder if Brower wishes he was still on the Blackhawks getting 3rd line minutes.

Ehh I always thought Toews was more a big game player than a best in the world type

I think Kane is better IMO

And at this point can we stop ****ing about this past season?

We were good enough to at least make it to Final but we didn't. Played a really good team and took it to 7. They lost to an even better one.

Uh, no we haven't.

Well, that's your opinion and I don't hold that same belief.  Were they cup contenders every year?  Of course not, but there were a couple years that they were labelled one of the favorites even if they had flaws.

The teams were flawed and not built well. 

If you can't see the difference in the structure of the 14-15 Caps team and the teams in years' past, then I dunno what to tell ya. 

We have excellent goaltending, defense, and are starting to get a lot stronger up the middle.  THAT is how you build a contender.  GMBM's priority (and he's said it) is finding a winger for the top 6 either in FA or via trade. 

I trust his vision 100%. 

Every team has flaws.  No team is perfect.  We don't seem to overcome our flaws. I find it funny that before every one was saying we needed to be a grittier team to win in the playoffs. That's how you win playoff hockey.  They said we had too much skill and not enough grit. Now, this year (especially during the Rangers series) they said we didn't have the speed to keep up with the Rangers.

I hope you are right that they are building it the right way.  My only knock is, they still got no further than they've ever been.  I'd have a little more faith if we had have at least gotten to the ECF.  Sure, it would have hurt a little more, but I'd see more progress. I'm keeping my expectations medium.  Like Redskins fans have been saying, stop telling me and show me. 

I'll wait and see what GMBM does.  I will say he did a good job addressing areas of need this past season and I do like what Trotz brings. I wish Trotz would keep the lines set barring injuries. Too much line switching, you can't develop chemistry. Good teams keep the line combos set.

Again, not mad. Just disappointed.  Lowered expectations this past year and will keep them the same until they show me something. That's all.

Toews isn't the best player in the NHL...

C'mon now. A bit of hyperbole, no? LOLOL.

Top 10 player in the leauge, you'll get no argument from me. But the BEST player? Nah.

It has to be either Kane or Toews, no?

Crosby has only one Cup and he's fallen off. Stamkos is second to Ovechkin in scoring goals and not doing a whole lot else.

The Blackhawks are a dynasty.

Some teams just inexplicably consistently lose in the playoffs.  Teams like the Cowboys, Braves, Sharks, Caps can't get it done when it counts.  The worst thing the Caps can do at this point is to keep thinking they are close and all they need is a little tweak here or there. 

The Caps need to look at who's been getting it done in the playoffs and who hasn't.  Maybe that means getting rid of some popular players who sell a lot of jerseys.  It doesn't matter, bring in the guys who get it done when it counts, and not keep the guys who get it done against Columbus in the middle of the season.

Archived