Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 hours ago, philibusters said:

Taulia is playing great.  That said, from my observations he still has holes in his games.  When his first read is there he is very decisive and gets rid of the ball on time.   When he has to go through his reads he is not near as effective.   He is mobile in the pocket, but I thought his biggest struggles against Illinois were when they dropped 8 into coverage.

Don’t really disagree at all, but wanted to add that what I am seeing from him is Uber cautiousness. He seems loathe to take chances, and doesn’t really throw guys open, instead, throws only when open.

When they start playing the big boys, he’s going to have to be more decisive.

22 hours ago, philibusters said:

Taulia is playing great.  That said, from my observations he still has holes in his games.  When his first read is there he is very decisive and gets rid of the ball on time.   When he has to go through his reads he is not near as effective.   He is mobile in the pocket, but I thought his biggest struggles against Illinois were when they dropped 8 into coverage.

Well yeah, sounds reasonable. lol

14 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Demus seems to have taken the next step and reminds me of a more physical Heyward-Bey

Funny, when I was watching Friday night (well past midnight 😴) I was thinking how much he reminded me of DJ. He doesn’t have Heyward-Bey’s top end speed, but has the size and strength to make the tough catch, and is difficult to bring down in the open field, much like DJ.

Hopefully he has more of a DJ career, than DHB, at the next level, for his sake.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

Funny, when I was watching Friday night (well past midnight 😴) I was thinking how much he reminded me of DJ. He doesn’t have Heyward-Bey’s top end speed, but has the size and strength to make the tough catch, and is difficult to bring down in the open field, much like DJ.

Hopefully he has more of a DJ career, than DHB, at the next level, for his sake.

Dontay is a much better pure receiver than DHB imo.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Demus seems to have taken the next step and reminds me of a more physical Heyward-Bey

I have been following UMD football closely since 2000 when I started there as a student.   I am adding Demus  to my Tier 1 receivers.

UMD tier 1 guys since 2000 are: 

Stephon Diggs, Torrey Smith, DJ Moore, Darius Heyward, and now Dontay Demus.   Going into this year I had him as the best of the rest, but he looks really good.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darrius Heyward Bey was really good at UMD.  We didn't have a wide open offense so his receiving numbers were not as good but he was fast and physical.  Unfortunately for his NFL career he change of direction and route running was meh, but he in college being both a fast and physical receiver was enough.  If I was ranking the 5 guys tier 1 guys from my previous comments based on the talent they showed at Maryland:

Diggs>>D.J. Moore, Torrey Smith>Darius Heyward Bey and Demus

What makes it complicated is some of them had better QBs than others.  DJ Moore and Diggs probably had the worse QB play.  Diggs had a true freshman Perry Hills and then CJ Brown for two years.     Moore probably had it worse as he had an older Perry Hills and Max Bortschangler.  Heyward Bey had Sam Hollenbach and Chris Turner who while not NFL guys were okay college QB's.   Demus had it rough his freshman and sophomore years, but has Taulia for his junior and senior years and that will help make him look better.

How does Demus compare as a prospect to somebody like Dyami Brown?

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

Darrius Heyward Bey was really good at UMD.  We didn't have a wide open offense so his receiving numbers were not as good but he was fast and physical.  Unfortunately for his NFL career he change of direction and route running was meh, but he in college being both a fast and physical receiver was enough.  If I was ranking the 5 guys tier 1 guys from my previous comments based on the talent they showed at Maryland:

Diggs>>D.J. Moore, Torrey Smith>Darius Heyward Bey and Demus

What makes it complicated is some of them had better QBs than others.  DJ Moore and Diggs probably had the worse QB play.  Diggs had a true freshman Perry Hills and then CJ Brown for two years.     Moore probably had it worse as he had an older Perry Hills and Max Bortschangler.  Heyward Bey had Sam Hollenbach and Chris Turner who while not NFL guys were okay college QB's.   Demus had it rough his freshman and sophomore years, but has Taulia for his junior and senior years and that will help make him look better.

How does Demus compare as a prospect to somebody like Dyami Brown?

That's a good comparison.

Personally, I think Demus is/could be a slightly better prospect.

In part just due to the height difference.

Brown: 6ft

Demus: 6-4

17 hours ago, philibusters said:

I have been following UMD football closely since 2000 when I started there as a student.   I am adding Demus  to my Tier 1 receivers.

UMD tier 1 guys since 2000 are: 

Stephon Diggs, Torrey Smith, DJ Moore, Darius Heyward, and now Dontay Demus.   Going into this year I had him as the best of the rest, but he looks really good.

Not a WR, but I'd toss in Vernon Davis as a Tier 1 rec as well. Dude was so good for MD. 

• Thanks 2