Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

8 hours ago, Long n Left said:

This team has talent, but some others (not named Cowan and Stix) need to step up. Turge has effectively gone to a 6 man rotation, and those guys will be gassed by tournament time. Lindo and Marial especially, IMO, need to get some run, and need to play alongside Stix, not instead of him.

Maryland won last night because Cowan and Stix willed it, and performed. Also, because Rutgers shot even worse. Terps can’t continue to shoot this poorly as a team and win, it’s just not sustainable.

Completely agree.  Once the Mitchell twins left any semblance of depth pretty much disappeared.  If Stix gets in foul trouble then our only rim protector is gone.  Marial doesn't have the conditioning or footwork necessary yet to play consistent defense or offense.  He needs to get more game time to get into the swing of things.  Lindo hasn't shown me much, he looks lost at times. 

Ayala has been baffling, his shot is so bad.  Occasionally he will hit one or have a nice driving layup, but you can see his confidence is shot.  I have more trust in Wiggins to turn it around.  He has been forcing a lot of shots lately trying to get it going.  He's been working on his dribbling and slashing.  Ultimately it is going to be up to Cowan to penetrate and draw the double teams or score, cuz he clearly is the catalyst.  He's the only guy who can consistently create his own shot.

Boys showed a ton of heart last night. Crowed and Illini team were amped up to start, and rode that intensity to the 14 point lead. Terps stayed calm, except for Turge, who took a great early tech, and whittled the lead back by half. Second half, Terps flat took control. Cowan and Stix carries the team again, but damn if Morsell isn’t just a beast. He does all the dirty work. Good teams need, and feed, off guys like him, and his athleticism is really underrated.

I think this team has found its identity over the past 6-8 games. They play tough defense, and have really picked up their zone packages. They rely on Cowan and Stix for offense, but get just enough from the other guys to put them over the top. Ayala has become a bit of a liability, but they don’t have much in the way of alternatives. Serrel is a bit too much of a wildcard still. Yeah, Ayala hit two 3’s, but the second was butt lucky, and he made numerous mistakes. Did like that reverse for the old school 3 though.

Still think they need a bit more contribution from the bigs on the bench. Not sure Stix can continue playing 35+ minutes a game without getting run down by tournament time.

Anyway, great road win, and great run by the boys!

Last night’s game highlighted Maryland’s vulnerabilities. Nebraska tried their best to muck things up for Stix and Cowan, and make the other guys beat them. Luckily Ayala had one of his best shooting nights of the season, and Scott chipped in nicely as well. I really like Scott. Think he has a chance to be a big time player. Wiggins flat stunk last night, and Morsell had a poor game, by his standards. 

Cowan or Stix has an off night, and this team stands a good chance to lose. Cowan didn’t have his A game, and I was perplexed by the game plan. Stix had a clear advantage inside, but can’t count the number of possessions where he didn’t touch the ball inside 20 feet. Entry passes were there, just not made. Something to work on coach. Also, why were Lindo and Tomaic nailed to the bench? Good to see Chol get some run, but against a SMALL Nebraska team, I would have thought you’d try and take advantage of your bigs.

BIG game in East Lansing coming up Saturday night. Statement game. We’ll see if the boys are up for it!

Edited by Long n Left

14 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I love when Ayala is aggressive driving to the rim.  Helps when he is hitting threes too.  Up 34-22 with four minutes left in the first half.

Had a really good run, then he Ayala’d. Three straight possessions before the half where he makes bone headed mistakes. Gotta drive coach nuts! At least they’re up 8, and Stix got some good rest. Need to come out start of second half with some energy. Can’t let Sparty and crowd get back in the game. Time to take control of the B1G!

• Like 1