Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. posts $70.5 billion June budget surplus

@DCGoldPants

I would say deficit....but always glad for support  :)

I don't hold O responsible for past excesses

I blame Bush.  Clinton at least had us on a downward trejectory and that 4 trillion debt was declining. 

Bush, destroyed that and he didn't even pay for either the 2 wars or his prescription drug benefit. 

Thanks.

Rather surprised at how often it does seem to happen. Excepting the period from Oct 08 - April 12, from the Great Crash, it seems like it happens every 3-4 months.

(Wonder if maybe there's a regular pattern to it. Like, when employers send in their quarterly withholding checks?)

I assumed that the cash flow was a much more steady fire hose. :)

It's driven by the calendar and number of business days in a month, which impacts the amount of tax and other deductions that are received. And based on when weekends fall, payments that may be due at the beginning of June will instead be made at the end of May.

Here's the CBO report: http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45504

I blame Bush.  Clinton at least had us on a downward trejectory and that 4 trillion debt was declining. 

Bush, destroyed that and he didn't even pay for either the 2 wars or his prescription drug benefit. 

Clinton had the advantage of the .com boom.  How many presidents lucked into the greatest economies in American history.  And no the .com boom wasn't a result of Clinton's tax policy.

Clinton had the advantage of the .com boom.  How many presidents lucked into the greatest economies in American history.  And no the .com boom wasn't a result of Clinton's tax policy.

Bush II had one of the hottest economies in US history. Until 2008 happened of course. He still managed to run huge deficits, pretty amazing

But W, of course, didn't "luck" into the real estate boom.  Every single bit of that economic growth (but none of the deficits) were due to his economic policy.  (Until the bubble burst.  Then obviously it was because of the Democrats, either due to something they did three months previously, or something they did 30 years previously, we aren't sure, but we're certain it was Democrats.)

Not sure where you can cite those are any of my opinions.

Bush II had one of the hottest economies in US history. Until 2008 happened of course. He still managed to run huge deficits, pretty amazing

http://www.usgovernmentdebt.us/federal_deficit

huge?....I would agree spending was excessive

Obama has certainly had a few blessings as well

http://www.shaleenergyinsider.com/2013/10/08/shale-boom-could-raise-us-gdp-by-3-5-annually-says-research/

so you are saying the deficit really started going down after sequestration or was it the Budget control act of 2011?

as to the chart it was the first on the search....maybe not in adjusted dollars?

I thought you would appreciate the negative start....guess not

so you are saying the deficit really started going down after sequestration or was it the Budget control act of 2011?

as to the chart it was the first on the search....maybe not in adjusted dollars?

I thought you would appreciate the negative start....guess not

I said nothing of the kind.

And your own chart says it went down every year, starting in '10.

And your chart is not in any dollars, adjusted or otherwise.

I said nothing of the kind.

And your own chart says it went down every year, starting in '10.

And your chart is not in any dollars, adjusted or otherwise.

OK....but did it?

I never said it didn't

Pesos?.....does it matter  :)

Washington is a dirty, dirty place.

Funny how the people on the left are touting a good month when they've been complaining abour Republican obstructionism for 6 years.

Funny how people on the right are saying how bad the deficit is now when, in historical terms, it's not actually terrible right now.

Our problems are many, but I'm beginning to think that the best thing we can do is have a divided government that actually can't do much of anything.

A bit of sunshine after days of gloom and rain is a relief. Don't put away the umbrella, but don't deny the warmth.

This is a very small piece of good news. A chance to catch our breath. It means nothing except there's still a very long and hard road ahead. Ignoring a fresh water oasis in the desert is stupid though. To refuse to drink even worse.

Testing it may not be dumb though.

I'm not sure how this is good news though.  I realize everyone seems to think its good for the government to run a surplus, but I don't understand why.  Why should the gov't be profiting off of its taxpayers?

I'm not sure how this is good news though.  I realize everyone seems to think its good for the government to run a surplus, but I don't understand why.  Why should the gov't be profiting off of its taxpayers?

to pay down the debt is not profiting ....maybe they should budget for that?

I think a rainy day fund is even good  if managed well.

My homeowners association has a huge surplus... Yet we still pay dues. Annoying as hell. I might just write a strongly worded letter at some point if I ever get around to it which will be never

'cause if you don't generate a surplus to pay down the deficit you've already incurred, the interest payments will kill you eventually.

Geez man you like talkin' smack about your wife's lack of financial understanding.

And?  :lol: .....it's the truth

for a college girl she sure missed some lessons, she coulda at least learned to cook 

don't even get me started on her sense of direction skills :P

We don't talk about health care cost inflation/scamflation.... huge driver to the deficit since we pay a lot for expensive health care.

I saw a plan presented that by replacing social programs with more efficient handouts (less overhead), major screws put to medical/insurance industry and little change to defense our country could make a huge impact on deficit. Both partis are screwing workers by continuing this policy and being happy to have a smaller yearly deficit...

Archived