Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. posts $70.5 billion June budget surplus

@DCGoldPants

Now there's more like it. Abandoning trying to make an obviously untrue claim. (And it only took four tries, too). And moving the goalposts, instead.

Kindly point out my untrue claim.....peasants

We have 17 trillion in debt, there is no real surplus.

Yeah, you're right. Everybody knows that the definition of "surplus" is "the entire federal debt gas been paid off".

(Well, everybody except the people actually announcing the surplus.).

Larry is the debt increasing in the US?  Surely even you can answer that question.

how can it increase when we have a surplus????....DUH

\

ain't you listening to the words coming out of my mouth? :P

Not sure whether to look at this thread as being sad or funny.

It's certainly possible to find either, if you want to.

I mean, the idea that there's an entire political party that has become so conditioned to the notion that anything that is good for the country, is bad for the party, (and that the party is the more important of the two), to the point that any good news must be attacked, by any dishonest means possible, . . . .

Me, I tend more towards "sad". If they weren't a constant threat of actually gaining power, THEN maybe I'd find it more funny.

how can it increase when we have a surplus????....DUH

\

ain't you listening to the words coming out of my mouth? :P

It can't.

And it isn't.

Which is why your untrue claim is untrue.

And I don't think that's your mouth.

Larry is the debt increasing in the US? Surely even you can answer that question.

Not that month, it didn't.

That's why it's called a surplus.

What is dishonest is talk of surpluses and deficit reduction while piling on debt.

but then I have to pay my bills,so I'm probably biased

still waiting on you identifying a untrue claim ....peasant

What is dishonest is talk of surpluses and deficit reduction while piling on debt.

What is dishonest is continuing to make untrue claims.

But please, keep it up.

I want everybody to note just how far you're willing to go, to try to argue against the notion of anything slightly good might have happened to the country.

One month is nice and all, but I'm seeing TWA's point.  So we ran a surplus one month, how many of the past 60 months have we done that?  How many of the past 120?  The problem is this isn't happening consistently, and the rare times it does, it's held up like some great victory.  It really isn't in the larger scheme of things.  And that's an indictment of both sides.

A bit of sunshine after days of gloom and rain is a relief. Don't put away the umbrella, but don't deny the warmth.

This is a very small piece of good news. A chance to catch our breath. It means nothing except there's still a very long and hard road ahead. Ignoring a fresh water oasis in the desert is stupid though. To refuse to drink even worse.

Testing it may not be dumb though.

The figures for any one month, surplus or deficit, are pretty much irrelevant as there are many factors involved.

The chart I showed gives the bigger picture. Historically the USA has been living beyond its means ... for decades, no mater who was in power. During the recession there was a massive spike (the majority of it inherited, but Obama did add some) and the annual deficit is now returning to a few percent of GDP which is similar or slightly below the levels we have seen for decades.

But the US economy is not currently forecast to run an annual surplus ... ever. Due to increasing retirement and the benefits associated with it, in spite of a growing economy, annual deficits will not be eliminated, and the national debt will continue to rise unless more action is taken.

Now the deficit is returning to levels where closing various tax loopholes and ding more to eliminate tax evasion would get close to generating a small surplus. Similarly, reducing expenditures (or at least constraining the growth), increasing receipts through a few tax increases, growing the workforce, and legalizing (and taxing) more of the underground economy (something like 8-10% of GDP) would all make a significant contribution.

But firing Big Bird wouldn't be my top priority.

A bit of sunshine after days of gloom and rain is a relief. Don't put away the umbrella, but don't deny the warmth.

This is a very small piece of good news. A chance to catch our breath. It means nothing except there's still a very long and hard road ahead. Ignoring a fresh water oasis in the desert is stupid though. To refuse to drink even worse.

Testing it may not be dumb though.

It's not uncommon for the US to have a month or two in a year with a budget surplus.

It's not a bit of sunshine, it means absolutely nothing.  Not a reason to celebrate, it's a normal occurrence.

It's like saying we had a year where there was a winter.

It's not uncommon for the US to have a month or two in a year with a budget surplus.

It's not a bit of sunshine, it means absolutely nothing.  Not a reason to celebrate, it's a normal occurrence.

It's like saying we had a year where there was a winter.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any support at all for your assertion that we've had a monthly surplus, say, every year for the past 10? 

Thanks. 

Rather surprised at how often it does seem to happen.  Excepting the period from Oct 08 - April 12, from the Great Crash, it seems like it happens every 3-4 months. 

(Wonder if maybe there's a regular pattern to it.  Like, when employers send in their quarterly withholding checks?) 

I assumed that the cash flow was a much more steady fire hose.  :)

Thanks. 

Rather surprised at how often it does seem to happen.  Excepting the period from Oct 08 - April 12, from the Great Crash, it seems like it happens every 3-4 months. 

(Wonder if maybe there's a regular pattern to it.  Like, when employers send in their quarterly withholding checks?) 

I assumed that the cash flow was a much more steady fire hose.  :)

I would think there is some explanation to why it happens, but not sure what causes it.

Archived