Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HERE IS WHY RG3 SHOULD RUN!

deepball1

Slightly off topic but how can anyone watch that video and not see how horridly bad Kory L sucks??

that dude got beat like a drum in quite a few of those highlights.. I'm praying that him and Chester get beat out in TC by the youngsters this year.

I don't think we have any "youngsters" trying out at Center.  McGlynn and Lich are both 29, and the only 2 centers on the roster.  The coaches gave up on LeRibeus at center, maybe they try it again, but I doubt it.

I love the post because I think the "He shouldn't run because he might get hurt" argument is a media driven narrative that makes it sound like QB's don't get hurt playing in the pocket.

The argument isn't "he might get hurt" the argument is, he's shown he *will* get hurt.  It's already happened 2 times his rookie year and because of that he wore a brace all season last year.  

Saying he "might not get hurt running," or "he might get hurt in the pocket" are the two things he hasn't shown already.

I have read with interest as some of you continue to yell "HE'LL GET HURT". If you go back and read the original starter post I believe I mentioned "as long as he knows how to run out of bounds like Wilson and slide like Luck, he can pick up yardage and make this offense more effective while remaining healthy".

No one is ignoring your post. The issue is that he has shown that he doesn't know when to step out of bounds or slide.  His slides are awkward combinations of dives and slides and he takes hits on the sidelines when he should be stepping out.  

RGIII has a clumsy and reckless way of running and scrambling.. I don't think there is another player in the nfl who takes so many highlight reel hits. He also struggles protecting himself in the pocket

You watch Russell Wilson or tony romoSUCKS they know how to protect themselves... You rarely see them take anything other than a glancing blow as they duck a shoulder or get out of bounds, or give just enough of a head fake to get someone off balance while they get to the ground or slide.

It gives me a lot of concern for his long term viability in this league. I do think there are some little things he can work on to improve here, especially in the pocket. Learning how to get rid of the ball faster and conceding when a play is over would help a lot I think

If I was 5ft 10 inches and playing in the NFL, I would be ducking for cover a lot too.  Wilson and Romo are excellent at running in circles behind the line of scrimmage while looking for the open man. 

I agree that Robert is a reckless runner, but I completely disagree with "clumsy."  I hope he works on his running in circles skills this year, because this really does open up big plays down field.  Robert is smart, so I suspect he will learn this skill.

The argument isn't "he might get hurt" the argument is, he's shown he *will* get hurt.  It's already happened 2 times his rookie year and because of that he wore a brace all season last year.  

Saying he "might not get hurt running," or "he might get hurt in the pocket" are the two things he hasn't shown already.

He has missed 1 game in two years.  Robert needs to play it safe at times but he is tough and I think it is a good bet that he will start 16 regular season games this year. 

He has missed 1 game in two years.  Robert needs to play it safe at times but he is tough and I think it is a good bet that he will start 16 regular season games this year. 

Agreed.  I think anyone that comes back to start 9 months after a torn ACL surgery is tough.  Heck, anyone who gets through the entire PT and surgery process for an ACL and has full range of motion in their knee is tough because everything in rehab hurts like a *****.

As far as him having missed only 1 game in 2 years, I think most of us can now agree that he SHOULD have missed more, either before or after the injury, or both.

Of course he should run. With the weapons we have, teams shouldn't be able to keep a spy on him much. He's the fastest person on the field most of the time.

He's also the most valuable to the team.  If DeSean or Garcon goes down, we're still good if we have a fully healthy Griffin.  If Griffin goes down we're ******.

Again, I'm not saying he should never run, I'm saying cut down on the designed runs, which is exactly what Griffin was asking for and the Shanahan's didn't want to give him.  I don't think it'll be a problem with Gruden as it sounds like the designed runs will be less this season.

I agree that Robert is a reckless runner, but I completely disagree with "clumsy."  I hope he works on his running in circles skills this year, because this really does open up big plays down field.  Robert is smart, so I suspect he will learn this skill.

I don't think Zoony meant "clumsy" as if Griffin were going to trip over himself, drop the football, and then chase it for 80 yards continually kicking it away from himself while trying to grab it, and dragging a video camera whose cord got accidentally wrapped around his leg.  

I don't think he meant THAT kind of clumsy, but Griffin's running style is not compact and so it looks very disorganized.  Running backs are taught to be compact, keep their arms in, move with short quick steps, but Griffin doesn't do that.  He's not a running back or anything, so it's not expected that he look like one, but if his arms weren't flying all over when he ran, and he wasn't spread out like a rag doll, he might not get hammered quite so hard all the time.  

Maybe he'd get hit just as hard, but we've yet to see him run compact where we've seen lots of him running all over the place.

No one is ignoring your post. The issue is that he has shown that he doesn't know when to step out of bounds or slide.  His slides are awkward combinations of dives and slides and he takes hits on the sidelines when he should be stepping out.  

well you are right of course, at least partially. Robert has run out of bounds on a number of occasions but there are times that he cuts it really really close and seems to be baiting them to hit him as he goes out of bounds, in fact, I heard an interview in which he admitted that. That is why all this running talk is based on the word "IF", if he learns to go out of bounds quickly like Wilson...if he learns to slide a bit better. he scares me when he slides because he looks like he is trying to trip himself to get on the ground or whatever. I agree with those who have called him CLUMSY. And that is weird because ya cannot be clumsy and still run hurdles, My God you will trip yourself and fall all over the place running hurdles if you are clumsy....AND YET...there are times he looks clumsy when trying to slide.

So I have decided to stop coaching Robert and I will let Jay Gruden decide whether to let him run or not. Now it's HIS problem.  lol

Agreed. I think anyone that comes back to start 9 months after a torn ACL surgery is tough. Heck, anyone who gets through the entire PT and surgery process for an ACL and has full range of motion in their knee is tough because everything in rehab hurts like a *****.

As far as him having missed only 1 game in 2 years, I think most of us can now agree that he SHOULD have missed more, either before or after the injury, or both.

He's also the most valuable to the team. If DeSean or Garcon goes down, we're still good if we have a fully healthy Griffin. If Griffin goes down we're ******.

Again, I'm not saying he should never run, I'm saying cut down on the designed runs, which is exactly what Griffin was asking for and the Shanahan's didn't want to give him. I don't think it'll be a problem with Gruden as it sounds like the designed runs will be less this season.

throwing passes to him is stupid, especially when you're playing a great vet secondary. Having a player that fast and not using it, especially when you have the talent around him to really set the play up, makes no sense.

He needs to learn how to slide, run out of bounds and take a hit, but you don't ignore ability that can get you wins, just because you're afraid of injury.

He just needs to be smarter...either getting rid of the ball more quickly, throwing it away, or getting down sooner/out of bounds. I just don't think he has the feel for when to get down/minimize hits(hasn't shown a good form slide yet).

Take 5 yards and get down way before contact is imminent, vs getting 8 yards and getting cracked. I hope he figures it out and improves at this... for all of the great attributes he possesses I'm not sure this is one of them unfortunately.  He absolutely should still run though, maybe not to the tune of 800+ yards but use the gift. 

Looking at some of those plays against Denver, man our interior OL sucked when it came to protecting him. Honestly we need to do much better or he will not have a chance to throw deep. Pathetic is the word when it comes to the type of protection the OL offered.

Imo, since Grudes has been there, done that and received the t-shirt, he will be a good mentor to RG3. I believe he understands Robert's strengths and weaknesses and will coach accordingly. My only concern is if Grudes has the ability to make in-game adjustments.

RG3 or whoever the Skins QB is just needs to make plays. A QB's main weapon is throwing the ball, we all know that. But a QB can use their legs as well. RG3 can do both well. I just hope the coaches and RG3 are smart when it comes to running. Less designed runs and more scrambles out of the pocket when need be, hopefully like that Vikings game in 2012.  Still, they are the pro's I will leave it to them.

I agree with the OP 100% and here is why. Running is one of  RG3's strengths and a huge weapon for our offense. In order to get the most out of Robert or any player for that matter, you can't take away any part of their talent and expect them to play to their full ability, that's plain foolishness. You must game plan to the strength of the players and team, "but that doesn't mean lets use Griffin as our RB"! Throw in some plays that will keep defenses honest and always guessing, a good mixture will make a potent offense.  A running QB keeps Defenses on their toes and makes it much more difficult to game plan for. Running is what won him the Heisman and the NFL ROY in his 1st season, and if we take that away from him, we take away a huge part of his talent and we take away a huge weapon from our offense. So run like you stole a new TV RG3!!!

...Running is what won him the Heisman and the NFL MVP in his 1st year....

I know you know this MS, but I'm going to point it out anyway.  He didn't win the NFL MVP in his 1st year.  He won Offensive Rookie of the Year, and went to the Pro-Bowl, but definitely not MVP.  lol

You're too knowledgable a Skins fan and football fan for that to have NOT been a brain fart.

If the coaches don't have him run less designed runs, injuries have already shown they will.

But, I agree with deepball when he said it doesn't matter how much we argue about it or how we feel about it, Gruden's in town now.  IMO, that means far fewer designed runs.  It doesn't mean keeping him in the pocket, but I'd assume lots of bootlegs and such.  I like bootlegs for Griffin, I just hate designed keepers more than 3 or 4 times per game.  I think it cuts down on their effectiveness and it only opens the window for more serious injuries, but again, just my opinion.

throwing passes to him is stupid, especially when you're playing a great vet secondary. Having a player that fast and not using it, especially when you have the talent around him to really set the play up, makes no sense.

He needs to learn how to slide, run out of bounds and take a hit, but you don't ignore ability that can get you wins, just because you're afraid of injury.

I agree KB, with the weapons we have across the board on our offense, we shouldn't have to use Robert as a receiver against defenses. This offense should be among the Elite in the NFL and be able to put it to any defense in this league, including defenses like Seattle and Sanfran, and if Jim Hasslet finally gets our Defense playing well and together, the Washington Redskins should be among the Elite teams in the NFL.

I know you know this MS, but I'm going to point it out anyway.  He didn't win the NFL MVP in his 1st year.  He won Offensive Rookie of the Year, and went to the Pro-Bowl, but definitely not MVP.  lol

You're too knowledgable a Skins fan and football fan for that to have NOT been a brain fart.

If the coaches don't have him run less designed runs, injuries have already shown they will.

But, I agree with deepball when he said it doesn't matter how much we argue about it or how we feel about it, Gruden's in town now.  IMO, that means far fewer designed runs.  It doesn't mean keeping him in the pocket, but I'd assume lots of bootlegs and such.  I like bootlegs for Griffin, I just hate designed keepers more than 3 or 4 times per game.  I think it cuts down on their effectiveness and it only opens the window for more serious injuries, but again, just my opinion.

yes yes yes, definitely a typo, the entire world knows of Petersons MVP and rebound from surgery, RG3 was judged on that very same thing last season. I agree about not using Griffin as a RB, but do throw in some read options to keep a defense guessing at all times. Peterson won and earned the MVP and I think our very own Alfred Morris has a pretty good chance this year to win it, because of all the attention that is already on our receivers and TE.  Morris is a class act, humble and a  hard worker, and if he does win the MVP, it's because he has earned it and deserves it.

I would love to see his legs more in the passing game. Be it scrambles when the pattern is full to allow our dynamic wideouts more time to get open, or designed rollouts, including with a blocker, and sprint outs, we should certainly use his legs. 

If we can live without the triple option and the other designed runs when we know he is going to take hits, great.   I have a feeling that Allen has assembled enough pieces on offense to limit his rushing attempts to bare minimum. 

First of all there is no reason whatsoever that Griffin should not run. Stop yelling at me "HE'LL GET HURT!".  Here is a fact: if Robert had just decided to slide on the play against Baltimore and had not suffered a partial tear, then we would not be having this discussion right now. It is only because of one freak accident and stupid decision to stay upright, that has caused a lost season and put us all into this situation of believing that RG3 should not run or he will get hurt.

For as athletic as he is supposed to be...the dude just hasn't learned how to protect himself.  When he does...you'll be totally right!  But if he doesn't...you'll continue to see him get pounded.

to me, it is that simple.

**what I find shocking is that the dude is obviously smart (and athletic).  You would think he would have figured this out already.  <shrug>

I have read with interest as some of you continue to yell "HE'LL GET HURT". If you go back and read the original starter post I believe I mentioned "as long as he knows how to run out of bounds like Wilson and slide like Luck, he can pick up yardage and make this offense more effective while remaining healthy".

And one final note here...the guy who stated as a reason for Griffin to not run because "We tried a designed run on a 3rd or 4th and 1 last year and he got completely blown up". LMAO at that comment. Are we talking about one play? Are we talking about the GRIFFIN who last year wore a KNEE BRACE and had a hard time running or moving naturally? Help me out here. Are we talking about one play and a guy with a knee brace on? I am confused. Is that what you were talking about. lol

Do you lack reading comprehension? The poster stated he should run on 3rd or 4th and short and I replied that the one time we tried that last year he got blown up. Also, he takes punishing shots ALL the time. The atlanta game, the Baltimore game, the draw play against the Vikings were he got speared in the back of the neck. Smart runs when the field is wide open on a pass play and he can scramble 15-20 yards and slide without getting touched and some read option are the correct runs. We aren't talking about one play, he gets destroyed all the time. Until Griffin shows he understands he needs to protect himself, his coaches need to do it for him. I admire his courage and heart to win, but getting those one or two extra yards exposing himself to crushing hits is going to sideline him and that does no one any good. He should run just enough to freeze the defense and make them think about it.

Here's why he shouldn't run more

274comp 456att 60.1% 3203yrd 16tds 12ints  82.2 rating (per NFL.com)

These numbers are not to shabby especially considering he wasn't healthy and had me blocking for him.  I'd like to see this Robert a little more and the Mike Vick version a little less.

Here's why he shouldn't run more

274comp 456att 60.1% 3203yrd 16tds 12ints  82.2 rating (per NFL.com)

These numbers are not to shabby especially considering he wasn't healthy and had me blocking for him.  I'd like to see this Robert a little more and the Mike Vick version a little less.

That's what I don't get.  People are acting like Griffin was a terrible QB last year and he had half his game removed due to recovering for the ACL.  I just don't understand how people can possibly think he's dropped so far, in all actuality I think it could be a great thing for his future.  

If he had any belief that he could just depend on his athleticism throughout his career (which I don't think he did anyway) he definitely recognizes the need to develop an ability to make his reads faster, throwing technique, and footwork after not being able to scramble very well for an entire season.

I thought he did pretty well last season, and I only expect him to be even better this year.  He's got his legs back, he's had an offseason to work on all those things, and he's got more weapons.  I don't see the downside here.  Even if he's the passer he was last season he's got better weapons now.  Lots of his incompletions can be blamed on drops too, and now we have added several of the most sure-handed receivers in the league in Jackson and Roberts.

Robert running is not the issue at all.  I agree that he should run when the time is right on a given play.  I'm not much for the designed runs myself and it seems many of you agree.

Robert has to learn to avoid contact at ALL costs.  Call it bravado or hubris to some degree, but this guy MUST learn to protect himself.  He has taken way too many hits in his young career and if that trend continues you can plan on someone else being the quarterback of the Washington Redskins in the near future.  

My biggest beef with Robert is his inability to react quickly to protect himself when a collision with a defender is imminent.  Where other experienced quarterbacks seem to have the innate ability to slide, get out of bounds, or just avoid contact, Robert seems to drive the proverbial car right into the oncoming traffic.  

I fear that similar to pocket presence where some qb's have it and other just don't, Robert may never develop that instinct that some qb's have that tells them to go into protect mode and slide, dive, get out of bounds, or fall into the fetal position a la Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc.  

I haven't seen signs that Robert has learned the art of protecting himself.  My hope is that Jay Gruden makes it a point of emphasis and holds him accountable.  Robert is not just a starting qb on an NFL team.  He's an investment and has to have the mentality that in order to thrive in the NFL for an extended period of time, he must protect the investment if nothing else.  Otherwise, he'll be another what-could-have-been and no one wants that including Robert.  

Why do some people 'only' look at numbers to base their opinions? I read ALL the time where people say RG3 "was pretty good" last year, or even put up "great" numbers. He STUNK last year. He looked totally inept in the pocket. And the main reason he put up as good of numbers as he did, is because we were trailing in just about every game. And often trailing by a LOT early. You're going to put up decent numbers if you are constantly behind, because you're usually putting the ball in the air. Seriously, do people not understand this part of football?

Archived