Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stock Markets Tops 17,000 - An Ode to McD5

@DCGoldPants

Doesn't negate the fact that a correction is long overdue.  Looks like we'll put it off even longer.

"a correction is long overdue" 

Markets go up and markets go down. But using words like "correction" as though it's a rational act is fanciful.

Doesn't negate the fact that a correction is long overdue.  Looks like we'll put it off even longer.

Of course corrections will happen. No one is claiming it won't. The problem is that no one knows when it will happen and trying to time it silly. A few weeks ago 90% of all experts would have told you we were in the midst of a large correction and the market was going to continue to fall. Instead it went up rapidly 10%. 

"a correction is long overdue" 

Markets go up and markets go down. But using words like "correction" as though it's a rational act is fanciful.

So one can't have an opinion on the market's value based on fundamentals?  Believing a market or an individual stock is overvalued or undervalued does not make you a market timer.  Nowhere have I ever claimed to know what the market will do today, tomorrow, or any time in the future.  If I did I wouldn't be talking to you I'd be sipping martinis on my yacht.

Of course corrections will happen. No one is claiming it won't. The problem is that no one knows when it will happen and trying to time it silly. A few weeks ago 90% of all experts would have told you we were in the midst of a large correction and the market was going to continue to fall. Instead it went up rapidly 10%. 

Again, my comment appears to be taken wrong due to the thread we're in.  I don't attempt to time the market and have never claimed it's possible.  I just don't believe in the current value of the market and believe we're overdue for a reversion to the mean.  When that happens is anybody's guess.

The market timing option gets overused in regards to Crazy Zeb's view...which I agree with BTW.

I am a long time investor, I invest monthly via 401K contributions, monthly via stock purchases, and also a number of times over the year through dividend reinvestment's with stocks I hold.

With that said if I was given $1,000,000 today, I wouldn't put it in the market at this price.  I do believe the market is high, so I would "time" it given the amount of money involved with the assumption I could buy in later.  If I was given $1,000 today, I wouldn't be opposed to throwing it in the market.

I agree with the market timing premise, but having an opinion on the market price as a whole isn't wrong.

So one can't have an opinion on the market's value based on fundamentals?

A "correction" suggests that there is something specific is out of whack which needs to be "corrected".

What fundamentals are you referring to? If you look at forward P/E it's not particularly high. The Shiller PE, granted, is a different story.

The problem with this type of statement is that essentially you are setting yourself up for an "I told you so" moment whenever the market falls 10%, which we all know will happen at some point

It's really nothing more than a passive aggressive commentary on current economic policy, and a vague one at that.

If a correction is coming tell us when, specifically

The market timing option gets overused in regards to Crazy Zeb's view...which I agree with BTW.

I am a long time investor, I invest monthly via 401K contributions, monthly via stock purchases, and also a number of times over the year through dividend reinvestment's with stocks I hold.

With that said if I was given $1,000,000 today, I wouldn't put it in the market at this price.  I do believe the market is high, so I would "time" it given the amount of money involved with the assumption I could buy in later.  If I was given $1,000 today, I wouldn't be opposed to throwing it in the market.

I agree with the market timing premise, but having an opinion on the market price as a hole isn't wrong.

Agreed on all points. I've ramped up the amount I invest (weekly) and am sitting on cash, but not selling any stocks, just keeping a balance between index funds for small and large, domestic and international.

I think the market is likely to drop significantly at some point but it may well increase by another 10%, 20% or more before that happens.

I just have an issue with calling it a correction when it's as much random as rational.

The problem with this type of statement is that essentially you are setting yourself up for an "I told you so" moment whenever the market falls 10%, which we all know will happen at some point

It's really nothing more than a passive aggressive commentary on current economic policy, and a vague one at that.

If a correction is coming tell us when, specifically

I disagree.  In fact I was replying to a post about the drop in the market after the fact, thinking it was already underway.  That's already been proven wrong.  I have no idea when it will happen, and have no desire to say I told you so.  Don't put me on "Team McD5" and pretend I'm him.

I disagree.  In fact I was replying to a post about the drop in the market after the fact, thinking it was already underway.  That's already been proven wrong.  I have no idea when it will happen, and have no desire to say I told you so.  Don't put me on "Team McD5" and pretend I'm him.

Can you play the mcd5 part for us in this thread, maybe just for a little while? Please?

I agree with the market timing premise, but having an opinion on the market price as a hole isn't wrong.

Dollar cost averaging. Over time, feed that 1M into the market in small intervals. Not necessarily saying this to you but just as a general statement.

It'd be really funny if McD5 hit it big with his system, cashed out and bought an island. 

Now, on the topic of the market, in general? 

Have to confess, my gut says we've been inflating this bubble for years, now.  I mean, I think me portfolio has doubled in the last year and a half. 

Obviously, neither the economy in general, nor Disney Corporation, has doubled in value in the last year and a half. 

Gut says I'm sitting on one heck of a bubble. 

We definitely need an McD5 for this thread, looks like twa is stepping up to the plate...time will tell.

not a market guy,which is why people talk to me. ....or are those the voices in my head  :P

but since ya'll seem bored

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-11-02/newsflash-fed-isnt-stopping-qe?utm_content=bufferaf70d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Archived