Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stock Markets Tops 17,000 - An Ode to McD5

@DCGoldPants

If I recall you were all in on the mcd5 investing theory at the time, did you stick with it through the 4 year bull?

I wasn't "all in" in regards to his market top call, but yes I was following his day trades which did quite well.  I stopped day trading back in 2010 for personal reasons.

If I recall you were all in on the mcd5 investing theory at the time, did you stick with it through the 4 year bull?

Unfortunately I ignored McD5's sage advice and here I am four years later with a stock portfolio only $560k higher in value than when he made his recommendation.  :angry:

Unfortunately I ignored McD5's sage advice and here I am four years later with a stock portfolio only $560k higher in value than when he made his recommendation. :angry:

Recently I went through some old f401k statements rearranging my filing cabinet. I was floored when I saw some of the statements form 2009 and how much it's grown

It has basically quadrupled. Granted I've also put a lot of money in but still pretty good

Edit

I've got $64 now. Used to just have $8

Long overdue

That's kind of the point.  4 years of massive stock increases overdue, in fact.  That is the reason that we all laughed at McD5 so long and so well.

No one doubted that the markets have their ups and downs.   McD5 claimed that he KNEW what the market was going to do due to his nineteen years of technical analysis.  That he could read market charts like a doctor reads xrays.  That he could time the market like no one ever had before.  The DOW was about to go bust, it could not break 10,700, it was going to drop to 7000 within a couple of months, and it was all Obama's fault.   And he kept promising to come back and make everyone eat crow about it.   And then he disappeared.

Funniest thread in ES history, and it is not made any less funny by the fact that all boom markets must come back to earth someday.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I so off by suggesting this prolonged success is based primarily off energy prospects with cracking and subsequent crude production?

Companies are growing their earnings across industries, not just in energy sectors.

Growing their cash balances as they can invest and increase revenues without comparable increases in cost, thanks in no small part to very low borrowing costs. The great unknown is what happens when interest rates go up. The market will go down at some point, very possibly in a dramatic fashion.

Am I so off by suggesting this prolonged success is based primarily off energy prospects with fracking and subsequent crude production?

Nah.  It's mostly the low cost of borrowing, combined with the ever more successful strategy of not giving any of the additional profits to employees. 

the next bubble to pop

Japan and Europe are going to be fun, China is a bit scary....interesting times

China real estate is very scary.   

That's kind of the point.  4 years of massive stock increases overdue, in fact.  That is the reason that we all laughed at McD5 so long and so well.

No one doubted that the markets have their ups and downs.   McD5 claimed that he KNEW what the market was going to do due to his nineteen years of technical analysis.  That he could read market charts like a doctor reads xrays.  That he could time the market like no one ever had before.  The DOW was about to go bust, it could not break 10,700, it was going to drop to 7000 within a couple of months, and it was all Obama's fault.   And he kept promising to come back and make everyone eat crow about it.   And then he disappeared.

Funniest thread in ES history, and it is not made any less funny by the fact that all boom markets must come back to earth someday.

There's been something very similar going on for years now with trying to time the bond markets. People keep announcing that interest rates can't go any lower, they have to go up. Go short! Longer positions will be murdered! 

Anyone that's tried that over those years has lost out on a lot of gain.

Nobody knows nuthin'.*

*Keep costs low, buy, hold, and rebalance.

Archived