Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A few questions for people who have been to the new cowboys stadium.

GOSKINS_08

I'm looking to head down for the Redskins game in Dallas this season. To the people who have gone before which hotels for you recommend staying at? Ive seen some for decent prices within walking distance to the stadium but I'm not sure if they're only cheap because of being in a bad area or bad hotel ect. Any other tips would be appreciated. I want to book everything soon since most of it is still relatively cheap right now.

Ive seen some for decent prices within walking distance to the stadium but I'm not sure if they're only cheap because of being in a bad area or 

Well, the stadium is right across the street from a Wal-Mart.....guess it keeps all the mutants herded together. :)

And as HOF44 can attest to, be sure to get the insurance on the rental car because evidently they build the roads there with nails.:P

My dad and I did a package deal last season that had us at the Hilton in Arlington near the six flags. We got there on Friday and did a six flags day and shuttles were provided that took us to the game and a tailgate. The stadium itself is fantastic. Great experience and would definitely go again.

Born in DC, moved to Ft Worth at 7 but despite being the only Redskin fan in the family (all others are Cowboy fans. Mom, Dad, sister, cousins, EVERYBODY) been loyal for all my 46 years.

I have been to the stadium 3 times for football games. 2 skins incl the first game and the Vikings game last year (friend had a ticket, what do you say at 8pm the night before?) I missed the Thanksgiving game 2012, had tickets, but was working Super Storm Sandy in NJ November - January. Had to sit in a hotel room and watch but my boys had a great time. Raised 'em right, hard core skins fans in enemy territory. They are 20 and 16. Anyway, sorry to ramble on...

Technically, they built a Walmart across from the stadium (stadium was first) but it does heard the mutants.

We do not build our roads with nails. But be prepared, it seems like every highway is under construction around here.Pretty much complete in that area however.

I would recommend using a name brand hotel in Arlington (NOT Grand Prairie). Some parts of both can be rough / older but generally not too bad. They are cleaning up and redoing the area. Near by is UTA and they have made many many improvements on the campus. Several new restaurants and bars. Like someone else posted, the Hilton or any place like that would be perfect. Google maps with an aerial  picture would tell you a lot. "A picture is worth a thousand words but a thousand words does not a picture make". As evidenced by this post.

Hope you have a good time. I plan on being there this year. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!!!

Nothing like a Monday night game. It should be great!

HTTR

I can't think of any hotels that would be nice within close walking distance.  There's a Courtyard and a Sheraton to the north if you don't mind walking a mile or so.

There are plenty of chain restaurants in the area, very close to the two hotels I noted.  Six Flags generally has some Halloween stuff going on at the end of October (Six Flags is just east of Cowboys Stadium and Rangers Ballpark).  Unfortunately, you will be missing the State Fair by a week.

If you are staying for more than the game, there is nothing going on in that part of Arlington during the week.  If you plan on getting some nightlife, Arlington is the wrong place.

Been to Cowboys stadium twice. The area around the stadium in Arlington aint nothing but big box stores and chain restaurants. The hotels within walking distance of the stadium are limited, but walking distance can be worth the cultural sacrifice if you're on a time budget.

If you have a little extra time and you want to enjoy real Texas culture, I recommend staying in downtown Dallas or Ft. Worth. Some of the bigger hotels run game day shuttles to the stadium, at least they used to when I last researched it. The restaurants and hotel choices will be much better than Arlington.  

If you have a little extra time, meaning a two night stay then I'd go w/ the downtown experience. 

You want to stay in downtown Dallas ... we usually fly out on Sat and stay thru Tuesday.  Was in shock the first time I went ... Dallas is up and coming , not anything like I had imagined.  The Gaylord (which isnt in downtown Dallas) runs shuttles to Cowboys Stadium on gamedays and is prob the hotel with the most opposing fans.  I have stayed at the W most of the time which is really nice and either rented a car or got car service.  Get to the stadium a couple hours in advance you'll need the time to see everything. it is a show.

As far as entertainment goes ...Baby Dolls gets 5 stars and depending on what exactly your looking for inquire about North Dallas .. 

You definitely DON'T want to stay in downtown Dallas unless youre going on the trip for a five star hotel experience. But if youre going for the game and just wanna be close stay in a cheap hotel by the stadium in Arlington. If youre determined to stay in a big city with lots to do before and when the games over stay in Fort Worth. Its much closer to the actual stadium than Dallas, traffics not nearly as bad, the people are friendlier, and downtown Fort worth is a safer and cleaner downtown area that has has tailored its downtown to being a place to eat drink and enjoy entertainment....they even just finished construction on a great plaza area right in the middle of downtown where ESPN broadcasted their Super Bowl coverage a couple years back (see even ESPN didnt want to go to Dallas). This is the best advice i can give and Ive been all over North Texas countless times in my life.

Area around stadium is pretty much a dump other than maybe one hotel and a few spots right by the Rangers ballpark. I would not stay near Jerryworld if I were you-- not much going on there at all.

We always stay down in the "trendy" parts of Dallas where there is a ton to do. The Galleria area is very nice. The Anatole is my favorite hotel there--- centrally located and very nice without being absurdly expensive. Easy city to drive in. Abundant parking places available on gameday especially if you pre-pay for a pass somewhere.

I would not worry at all about staying close. You will have more fun in other areas and driving in and out is simple.

The most fun for someone your age is probably in the Uptown area, which is just north of downtown.  Some of the hotels here are pretty expensive.  Zaza is where the rock stars stay when they are playing the AA Center.  I'd check out the Melrose, the Stoneleigh and Bailey's Uptown Inn (its a bed and breakfast, but right in the heart of Uptown - no idea on cost).  I would expect everything in the area to be pretty expensive unless you can get a deal.

You might also check out one of those websites that rent out condos.  Uptown in full of high end condos with owners that have two residences.  Just make sure renting includes a parking space, because there is very little parking in uptown.

Ok so to the people saying stay farther away two questions. Do they all offer free shuttle to and from the game? Also how bad is it waiting for your shuttle after the game? I've heard traffic is a **** after the game. I'm not driving so I'll be relying on a shuttle. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Also airfare is cheap right now. People with experience do you think it'd go up much in a month or so from now?

Check with the big hotels in the downtowns for gameday shuttle services. The concierges may be able to advise you accordingly if none of the hotels offer a bus these days.

I recommend the stadium tour if you have time to drive out to Arlington on a non game day. I've toured dozens of stadiums around the nation and Cowboys was one of the best. The staffers will show you almost everything in the building including the locker rooms, club and suite levels, etc. 

Strongly suggest renting a car. Dallas is a lousy city in which to rely on public transportation---like most cities in this part of the country. If you don't have your own ride, your options become limited both on gameday and prior.

You want to stay in downtown Dallas ... we usually fly out on Sat and stay thru Tuesday.  Was in shock the first time I went ... Dallas is up and coming , not anything like I had imagined.  The Gaylord (which isnt in downtown Dallas) runs shuttles to Cowboys Stadium on gamedays and is prob the hotel with the most opposing fans.  I have stayed at the W most of the time which is really nice and either rented a car or got car service.  Get to the stadium a couple hours in advance you'll need the time to see everything. it is a show.

As far as entertainment goes ...Baby Dolls gets 5 stars and depending on what exactly your looking for inquire about North Dallas .. 

This is where I would stay, very nice hotel with a pretty cool walking distance dance club bar called the Glass Cactus. Excellent atmosphere and while its further away then you might want to be truth is in this area (I live here) not having a car is not an option. Here is the website, check it out

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dalgt-gaylord-texan-resort-and-convention-center/

They also have an indoor water park there and a golf course and offer specials for Cowboys games since its the official hotel of the Cowboys. 

Now as for the traffic this place is weird. Traffic here is aggressive, hence why there are so many road deaths in this state. However for as big of a city as it is (Dallas is the 9th largest city in the US) it moves much better then Maryland/Virginia traffic flows. Its congested and there is construction always going on but its not nearly as bad as it could be

Check with the big hotels in the downtowns for gameday shuttle services. The concierges may be able to advise you accordingly if none of the hotels offer a bus these days.

I recommend the stadium tour if you have time to drive out to Arlington on a non game day. I've toured dozens of stadiums around the nation and Cowboys was one of the best. The staffers will show you almost everything in the building including the locker rooms, club and suite levels, etc. 

Completely agree. Have one of my best memories ever with my late Grandfather at that stadium. Well worth it and they do take you everywhere. Being on the field was mind blowing. The place is massive

• 4 weeks later...

Archived