Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things to do in Chicago

PleaseBlitz

Haha, NO TAKE BACKS!

Seriously though, thanks for the input.  I'll try to post that picture if/when we take it.  Trip is the weekend of July 11.  

Haha, no worries.  Enjoy yourselves.  I think you'll catch the tail end of the taste of Chicago if that's when you're in town.  That'll be in Grant Park.

Sweet, WIllis Tower sells tickets that let you skip the line.  You just can't buy them in advance.  

Giordiano's is a chain, but the place to get pizza?

Its a damn good chain.

You'd have even the most ardent Chicagoans argue about this one, but it's one of the following:

Giordano's

Lou Malnati's

Gino's East

Pizzeria Uno (*NOT* the gross chain you're familiar with)

You can ask around with your hotel staff once you get here.

Danger - those are two different pizzas.   You want a stuffed pizza from Giordanos or Lou Malnati's.   Thos rock, especially with the huge chunks of fennel sausage.

You do NOT want a "deep dish" pizza from Uno's (or Gino's East).   Those are doughy soup buckets, they suck azz, and they have ruined the national repuation of Chicago style pizza.  

What is in the Grant Park area?

North end is the Art Institute and its outdoor section, Millennium Park.   Did you ever play a game called "Masterpiece" as a kid?  Every painting from that game is in the Art Institute.  It's a fantastic museum.

In the middle is the big fountain from the credits of "Married with Children"

At the South end are the natural history museum, the aquarium, the planetarium and Soldier Field where Da Bears play. 

Appears to be a Silver Diner with different signage . . .

I mean if you don't like breakfast food served all day then sure, all places that serve breakfast all day are going to be pretty much the same to you.

This place is better than the Silver Diner though.

Try some of that pizza. I was watching this show on Travel Channel yesterday which was essentially pizza pr0n. IT was so tantalizing, they went to Chicago and went to Pizzeria Uno's and Malnati's. There's also a place called Nick and Vito's which serves conventional pizza but it's not really in "the city" 

• 2 weeks later...

The one time I went up there, we didn't need advance tickets, but I'd check.  I can't really speak to how long the lines get.

Honestly, I've still never been to the top of the (whatchoo talkin' 'bout) Willis building.

The one cool thing about the Willis building is that they added these glass enclosures that overhang the street so you can get pictures literally standing over the city.  The pictures look pretty cool, but I imagine it's not every fun if you're afraid of heights (random internet picture below):

sears+tower+sky+deck+ledge+archipreneur+

Apparently those glass overhangs aren't so cool:

Coating on Willis Tower Skydeck's Ledge Cracks Under Tourists

Alejandro+Garibay+skydeck.jpg

Click on the link for the full article

Haha, I just read that elsewhere and came here to post that.

Like I said... Han**** Tower :D

(In all seriousness, it apparently was not the supporting glass that cracked but some other outer covering.  Not that it would have prevented me from soiling myself)

So you guys dont recommend pooping on the Willis Tower observation deck?

I recommend not falling out of the window.  Whether you decide to poop or not is a personal decision and I don't think I'm really in the place to recommend a course of action.

I recommend not falling out of the window.  Whether you decide to poop or not is a personal decision and I don't think I'm really in the place to recommend a course of action.

I don't want people to think I'm some dumb tourist.  Would a for-real Chicagoan poop?  From what i know of Chicago, the entirety of which is from these guys, I think they would.

DABEARS.png

Pretty sure i just hijacked my own thread, with a discussion of poop no less.

I disgust myself.  

http://checkplease.wttw.com/restaurants/chicago-chop-house

At the Chop House the owners are always present as is a live pianist, giving the restaurant a warm atmosphere. More than 1400 historical photos tell the tale of old Chicago when meat-packers, politicians and gangsters vied for control. An awe-inspiring 64-oz porterhouse, 16 and 24-oz New York Strips and 24-oz prime rib are all served charred and bursting with prime-aged flavor.

Order the bone in rib eye. trust me. This place is old school, not to high end, not to expensive. 

Archived