Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Letter From Dan Snyder: The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation

TK

I applaud Snyder for his approach toward this whole subject.

Still can't run a football team but that's OK. I'll root for the Redskins as long as the name stays. If the name changes, I'm out. No chance I support a team that changed its name under pressure of journalists and politicians.

The whole story is so long/ridiculous it's hard to know where to start but. I think this post piece sums it up fairly well and without bias.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/03/28/stephen-colbert-controversy-illustrates-extreme-difference-between-tv-and-twitter-audiences/

He's got a ton of "progressives" to shift their dialogue over to him because of something that could be interpreted without context as a jab at Asians, meanwhile Deadspin has two Korean American writers creating a decent article in his defense that I probably can't type the title of here without a ban.

Either way much of the blogosphere and outrage machine has forgotten about Snyder for the moment.

I've never watched one minute of the Colbert show. All I know is that he's on comedy central and mirrors the SNL weekend update format.

I refuse to click on that link, the post will not get a click from me ever.

I'm assuming he sided with the name changers and made a joke about how we're all racists.

Sigh.

Fine, I'll attack the message. I work in government contracting, I write government proposals. You know how often this actually happens?

I used to be in that field and thought the exact same thing when I saw that. Of course the Post is ignoring Edwards long history of positive contributions which have done more for Native Americans than the Post will ever do.

Geez Dan, don't you ever hire competent people? 

In the case of the Foundation he did. Read all of Edwards' history, which has been posted earlier in here. He is competent. The Post is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

The whole story is so long/ridiculous it's hard to know where to start but. I think this post piece sums it up fairly well and without bias.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/03/28/stephen-colbert-controversy-illustrates-extreme-difference-between-tv-and-twitter-audiences/

He's got a ton of "progressives" to shift their dialogue over to him because of something that could be interpreted without context as a jab at Asians, meanwhile Deadspin has two Korean American writers creating a decent article in his defense that I probably can't type the title of here without a ban.

Either way much of the blogosphere and outrage machine has forgotten about Snyder for the moment.

It's weird how that spun off since the whole point of the Asian thing was to slam Redskins for racism. I saw the Colbert bit on Snyder and was disappointed in him. He's usually better researched in his jokes and stances. There were a couple funny parts, but basically just boiled down to the same liberal talking points/assumptions that Redskins is racist and the charity is an insincere attempt to buy their favor. 

By Monday, few will remember/care about the shaky past of Edwards. The topic will fade just like the dirt on Halbritter. 

Nothing? 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/oneida-indian-nation-is-the-tiny-tribe-taking-on-the-nfl-and-dan-snyder-over-redskins-name/2013/11/16/10ef9290-4c88-11e3-be6b-d3d28122e6d4_story.html

The negative text on Halbritter under "Bitter infighting" is almost the same amount of ink you'll find in today's soiling of Edwards.

Here, i'll lay something on you that has nothing to do with 'shady pasts' or anything other than cold hard real fact.

Ray Halbitter makes his money off of gambling. He owns a sports book.

i wonder if he could benefit in any way by helping to distract a professional football team to the point that it affects their play?

Now pardon this old cycnic, but it seems to me that the opportunity to profit from gambling by suich a thing makes for a very large shadow of doubt that should be cast on this guy no matter what he does.

ESPECIALLY when it comes to his dealings in sports.

Soiling gamblers isn't hard. And the bigger the gambler, the bigger the cheat. 

Trusting them and their motivations beyond how it profits them or skews the odds in their favor is a very naive mistake.

~Bang

By Monday, few will remember/care about the shaky past of Edwards. The topic will fade just like the dirt on Halbritter.

Nothing?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/oneida-indian-nation-is-the-tiny-tribe-taking-on-the-nfl-and-dan-snyder-over-redskins-name/2013/11/16/10ef9290-4c88-11e3-be6b-d3d28122e6d4_story.html

The negative text on Halbritter under "Bitter infighting" is almost the same amount of ink you'll find in today's soiling of Edwards.

Why do you think the negative reports on Edwards will go away anytime soon? Because the the negative reports on halbritter did?

You don't really think the Post is unbiased in this fight, do you? Or the media coverage, in general?

I'd love, for once, to read an article that didn't tell one side of the story. Or reported actual facts on many native Americans opinions, as opposed to white people, politicians, and nutty native Americans with self serving agendas.

Know what I mean?

I've never watched one minute of the Colbert show. All I know is that he's on comedy central and mirrors the SNL weekend update format.

I refuse to click on that link, the post will not get a click from me ever.

I'm assuming he sided with the name changers and made a joke about how we're all racists.

Sigh.

He basically said "So Dan Snyder started the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation to aid Native Americans...I think I'll follow his lead and start the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation To Help Orientals Or Whatever."

At least that's the only part they're talking about in the Post write up...his shtick may have been longer and included more.

Why do you think the negative reports on Edwards will go away anytime soon? Because the the negative reports on halbritter did?

You don't really think the Post is unbiased in this fight, do you? Or the media coverage, in general?

I'd love, for once, to read an article that didn't tell one side of the story. Or reported actual facts on many native Americans opinions, as opposed to white people, politicians, and nutty native Americans with self serving agendas.

Know what I mean?

Yeah, it's not gonna go away anytime soon...I'd bet a year's pay that more than a few in the media are already trying to see what other negative stuff on Edwards they can dig up to follow up the ApplicationGate story. It won't necessarily have to even be bad for the media to run with it, as long as it offers what they see as an opening for a negative slant.

I saw one article that criticized NNALEA for operating with a yearly deficit more times than not under Edwards (it only covered about 7 years)...then saw that some of those deficits they felt were worth criticizing ended up being something like -$2,000 under budget one year, and -$500 another year. The whole idea that running a business, company or organiztion that has an annual budget deficit--of 500 stinkin' dollars, no less--somehow points to incompetence is laughable.

I think its a shame that people are being so petty about this, when I feel everyone should be focused on helping each other achieve great things. 

Imagine the good we could all do together if we just spent HALF of all the negative energy on cooperation. 

Crabs in a bucket. All of us. 

Know what I mean?

unless they can find something else big on Edwards, and fast, his shaky past will never be as interesting as Halbritter's.

All media is biased, especially when you disagree with the message. But why does our free media continue to pick on us I ask of you? It's like a conspiracy of journalists, educators, civil rights and political leaders, all working in perfect harmony to eff us. Again, why us?

Rick Riley wrote an article last fall, where he said that he was pretty much cool with what we do as Redskins fans, and he didn't really understand all the opposition. Riley used at least one NA as a source. People around here gave him praises for it.

Ya, I know what you mean bc it feels like everybody is against us when we haven't done anything wrong. We're just doing what we've done for all of our lives as pro football fans rooting for Washington.

Ya, I know what you mean bc it feels like everybody is against us when we haven't done anything wrong. We're just doing what we've done for all of our lives as pro football fans rooting for Washington.

chris_crocker_leave_britney_alone.jpg

Not according to any poll I've ever seen.

And not according to any poll you've ever seen either.

I really don' know where you get that everybody is against us when everything you've ever seen has shown that the only people against us is a small minority with questionable motives and a bunch of opportunistic media clowns.

I know we've been a bad team, but the persecution complex is really too much.

~Bang

RFK- the short answer is this- "journalists" and glorified bloggers love to write articles against the redskins (despite all the numbers and facts going against their position) because 1) everyone hates dan Snyder 2) most people hate the redskins (partly cuz of dan) 3) and people love a social cause they don't have to devote any actual thought or time to, other than to post "red+skin.... Clearly racist, cuz this Native American lady said so!" on message boards cuz it makes people feel better about themselves and assuages guilt about past wrongs, however misguided.

The post loves articles like that cuz of the above but mostly cuz dan Snyder ****ed up by not kissing their ass when he took over the team.

Snyder a smart business man but he's terrible at greasing palms and kissing babies.

I wish it were as simple as our owner making bad moves in FA, cutting down protected trees, suing local print media etc. but it aint. This battle was brewing long before Danny mattered. The conflict has grown far and away from the Washington Post's headlines.

I wish it were as simple as our owner making bad moves in FA, cutting down protected trees, suing local print media etc. but it aint. This battle was brewing long before Danny mattered. The conflict has grown far and away from the Washington Post's headlines.

This issue has been "brewing" for years, but never gained ground- not like it has today with the bob costas and john feinsteins of the world. It's a different world today. Clicks sell. It's all sensationalism.

You're telling me all these writers just figured out the term was "racist" ? Please. You're not questioning halbritters or harjos motives? You don't have a problem with her made up definition of the word?

Nobody cared back then cuz it was a few nuts and the media wasn't like it is today. It's a few people trying to capitalize on an issue the majority either don't care about, or embrace.

Fortunately, if one cares, one can access facts about the issue. But, people don't always care about silly things like that.

It's a made up cause kept alive by the media driven circus if today.

Now, enough ranting. We need to get back on topic.

My apologies for derailing.

Pm me or post in the name change thread if you want to discuss.

This will not go away until the name changes.  It might simmer down for a while but when this team has a shot at competing for a superbowl birth or actually plays in the superbowl; it will come back full force.

When it hits the pocketbook of either Dan Snyder or all the other owners; then the name will be changed.  When that day comes; then every indian named team at all levels should change also.

As for the foundation, that's a good thing but it's only been created for PR purposes.  After all, isn't Lanny Davis his lawyer on this issue?   If Danny truely cared about the plight of Native Americans; he would've set up this foundation years ago.

Archived