Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

White Board: Football 1-0-1 for laymen like GHH. DL gap techniques and the Redskins new front.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

You want Orakpo and Kerrigan to go crazy?  You will need:  1) a true NT; 2) mobile ILBs; and 3) a dominant SS.  That's how I see it, anyway.

What is a true NT?

If it's a 2-gap nose, it's different than a 1-gap nose.

I agree that if we play mainly a 2-gap scheme as we have in the past, we need a 2-gap nose pretty badly. If we play more 1-gap, we're in good shape.

I think we have very mobile ILBs. I wouldn't say they're amazing ILBs, but they all can move. Riley has potential to be very, very good. We'll see with the rest.

And Meriweather, if the SS, is pretty solid in the box. If he can keep himself on the field.

I don't think our defense is going to be dominant. We're still lacking talent. But I think we have the pieces to be more aggressive, especially in light of the Clark signing.

Yeah, I got that. I just went long-winded and forgot to get to the point by the end of my rambling.

I don't think both OLBs will be given the green light every time. That means you have to have two safeties that are playing low in the box, which is possible from the 2-4, but really gives up deep ground in the 3-4. The other option is as you said, have the ILBs scrape over to help the safety, but that's scary having the ILB be the first man to the POA on a stretch and it leaves the interior of the D susceptible to play action on stretch as well (and it could leave the top of the D in trouble as well, depending on how much "bite" our safeties have.

Ideally, in most situations, you almost would have to play it where one OLB has contain and the other doesn't.

But, I get nervous about that overly risky stuff. Some guys have no issue with saying, "sure, let's let the ILBs scrape over and help the safeties. We're going to be so aggressive up front that the QB won't have time to get rid of the ball!" In some games, I love that philosophy. In others, I get scared.

All depending on the formation you face.  Ideally we find two ILB who can tackle and cover and have two CBs that can cover outside.

I'm a fan of one deep safety and one lower in the box playing like a rover.  I'm thinking we have the personnel to do that at least one deep right now.

What is a true NT?

If it's a 2-gap nose, it's different than a 1-gap nose.

I agree that if we play mainly a 2-gap scheme as we have in the past, we need a 2-gap nose pretty badly. If we play more 1-gap, we're in good shape.

I think we have very mobile ILBs. I wouldn't say they're amazing ILBs, but they all can move. Riley has potential to be very, very good. We'll see with the rest.

And Meriweather, if the SS, is pretty solid in the box. If he can keep himself on the field.

I don't think our defense is going to be dominant. We're still lacking talent. But I think we have the pieces to be more aggressive, especially in light of the Clark signing.

I have several concerns about this defense. One of  my main concerns: the improvements we see are this year are temporary

RE:NT

I have long been an advocate of moving Cofield from NT to DE. He's a very good penetrator but gets pushed back in the run game. But, I think he's good enough even if the scheme doesn't change drastically from 2-gap to 1-gap that he'll be okay. Overall I think of our defense as a 34 version of the Colts/Manning Cover-2: I think we'll be a much better defense when we get to play with a lead and not worry as much about the run....but I guess that could be said for every defense.

Randy-

Haslett saying the OLBs won't have to play as much contain opens the door for stunting with the DEs

Stunting is something I'd like to see more of.  We've had terrible technique when we've stunted the last couple of season.  Hopefully a heavier dose of that will improve the technique/path to the QB.

It will also require us to run a shorter zone (Cover 2) or press man.  You know... like we've always wanted to and stuff. :lol:

Agreed.

One of my compliants about the defense in the past is that the front and the secondary didn't seem in sync.

There is certainly a place for off coverage and there are risks involved in playing press. But the secondary has got to help the front out by providing early coverage, we can't sit back in off coverage and watch the QB dink while the DL is trying to stunt.

Agreed.

One of my compliants about the defense in the past is that the front and the secondary didn't seem in sync.

EXACTLY.  That's been my number 1 complaint.

If you want to put the heat on with the front 7, your coverage has to compliment that.  You shouldn't be playing off man or cover 3.  Make the QB beat you.  It's slants all day in that coverage until they run a sluggo or post corner.

Another issue I had was how our LBs (except for Jackson) didn't play well in zones. The passing windows/voids in the Cover 3 were still wide open when the dropped into coverage.

It got to the point I assumed it was a coaching issues. Our LB just seemed ineffectual when the spot dropped.

Another issue I had was how our LBs (except for Jackson) didn't play well in zones. The passing windows/voids in the Cover 3 were still wide open when the dropped into coverage.

It got to the point I assumed it was a coaching issues. Our LB just seemed ineffectual when the spot dropped.

I'll have to watch more film, but man, spot dropping is so archaic in my honest assessment. If we are spot dropping (and I haven't paid much attention to that, to be honest. Been focused on other things) that's a coaching decision. Pattern matching is the way to go, in my opinion anyways.

Yawn....

This is one of the more interesting thread/discussion on the board at the moment. Why the childish comment? If the more technical side of the game isn't your thing, then try another thread.

Not only is this type of one word comment annoying to others, I think it probably breaks the rules.

First time in over week I've mouched into the stadium and it's humbling to see the 'proper' geeks (did I mention I hold the geeky ones in the highest esteem on here? ;) ) still adding some highly insightful and enjoyable discussion. 

I should start a series of these. (If only Coach hadn't covered all the goodies in his Chalk Talk. Blast him!).

Hail. 

This is one of the more interesting thread/discussion on the board at the moment. Why the childish comment? If the more technical side of the game isn't your thing, then try another thread.

Not only is this type of one word comment annoying to others, I think it probably breaks the rules.

Yeah, definitely not a good look

LB depth/spacing in their zone drops was another issue I had. No matter what anyone did, it always seemed like dudes were wide ass open, every time

Btw, I think we need more threads like these More of this and less baseless gossip stuff that does nothing but create animosity/derision/stupidity within the fanbase.

Ignore Bantu

Please keep up the good work.

I post rarely but lurk often (even as a "visitor"). I spend most of my time in threads like this and the Draft Database tread. By far the most informative and entertaining threads on the board.

Thanks to the major contributors and resident experts for your good work.

I'll have to watch more film, but man, spot dropping is so archaic in my honest assessment. If we are spot dropping (and I haven't paid much attention to that, to be honest. Been focused on other things) that's a coaching decision. Pattern matching is the way to go, in my opinion anyways.

Tell me more about this pattern matching thingie.

The windows in zone coverage need to favor what we WANT the defense to do.  It drives me absolutely nuts when we see slants all day... or slants in the first half and then whip routes or outs in the second with no adjustment in the coverage or the zone windows from the linebackers.

I also think Haz needs to be a bit more realistic about where he wants his OLB in coverage.  There is only so much we can do when we are in Okie but at the same time, the personnel group that we put Okie out there can only do so much as well. 

I'm hoping this front seven is getting good enough to where we can just go out and be successful and play a lot of base stuff and be successful.

I don't think Jackson was better in his assignments than 98 or 91, but I do think he has better ball skills and he's got a better understanding of what he's allowed to do with his hands.  So if better positioning means better coverage, meh, by all means Jackson was better.  But they covered the same areas of the field.  Especially in that cover 3 look where Riley blitzed.  I called that play the "first down maker". 

Here's to hoping there actually where "chains" that needed breaking.  I'm giving the man my avi this year.

Thanks for taking the time cleared some things up. I played when I was young but just before high school age I shattered my elbow and the resulting operations ended my  dreams and fun. Still  can't even fully straighten my arm to this day but I still love the game. But thanks again.

Thanks for taking the time cleared some things up. I played when I was young but just before high school age I shattered my elbow and the resulting operations ended my  dreams and fun. Still  can't even fully straighten my arm to this day but I still love the game. But thanks again.

Awww man I'm sorry to read that. Not just the initial injury but the knock-on effect to this day,. 

What could of been huh?

Hail. 

Tell me more about this pattern matching thingie.

Quick and dirty answer. In pattern match zone the defenders 'match-up' with a receiver in their zone and play them like their in man to man as opposed to just dropping to a spot and standing there. Pattern match-up figure out who is 'their' receiver and try to match their pattern while that receiver is in their zone.

Quick and dirty answer. In pattern match zone the defenders 'match-up' with a receiver in their zone and play them like their in man to man as opposed to just dropping to a spot and standing there. Pattern match-up figure out who is 'their' receiver and try to match their pattern while that receiver is in their zone.

Ok, cool, thought it might be something like that. And thanks for answering so many of my questions DG. I know I ask a bunch, but I'm hopeful others find the answers enlightening as well. Anywho... very much appreciated man :)

Archived