Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which player during the Shanahan years surprised you the most? (other than Morris lol)

Califan007 The Constipated

For me it was Jordan Reed.  Despite being 6'2 he plays a lot bigger and reminds me of watching Jimmy Graham on the field.  It also showed me how important a TE is for RG3's/QB's success.  It wasn't Garcon or Trent for me.  People were really surprised that Trent was playing well?  Or Garcon?  You could tell Garcon was going to be special when he was still on Indy.

For me it was Jordan Reed.  Despite being 6'2 he plays a lot bigger and reminds me of watching Jimmy Graham on the field.  It also showed me how important a TE is for RG3's/QB's success.  It wasn't Garcon or Trent for me.  People were really surprised that Trent was playing well?  Or Garcon?  You could tell Garcon was going to be special when he was still on Indy.

I wasn't surprised by Garcon, either...but then again, there were a few who claimed Garcon only looked good due to having Peyton Manning throwing to him lol...heard comments like "Garcon has Manning to thank for his pay day", etc, etc.

For me, I'd go with Reed as well, along with Darrel Young. Logan Paulsen gets an honorable mention, because I didn't expect him to do anything other than block well and catch about 5 passes a year, maybe one for a TD every other season. But the dude surprised me in 2012--wasn't just making catches, he was making clutch catches...and it was taking 2-3 defensive players to get him to the ground.

Logan Paulsen when Davis went down in '12. Caught everything thrown to him, and was a vital part of the run game/RO. Ditto on Darrell Young as well

I don't think many people envisioned Garçon being as good as he turned out to be. I remember many people sort of being meh on him before the 2012 season. Then we all saw just how impactful of a player he could be, in limited action in '12, and every game of last year. Completely changes the dynamic of the offense, and with better talent around him, along with better coaching and better QB play next year (hopefully) I think we will see him make more gamebreaking plays like he did in his first season, hitting home runs.

Jordan Reed surprised me last year, in that I wasn't expecting him to be that good that early. Seemed to happen overnight. Even with his limited offseason work, it just seemed like everything came natural to him. You could see his improvement from week to week. It was incredible.

After that, maybe Carriker in '11, just because I thought he was going to be a scrub, but outperformed my expectations.

Yeah, I'll give you that lol...especially in an extremely bad year with two different QBs throwing him the ball. Some of the catches Garcon made had me yelling "Holy !#$!"...

he was one of the best in the league this year with mostly no second option. I'm completely sold and blown away. Its the first time in a long time that we've had an undisputed #1 received. That's what shocked me.

Laron Landry in 2010 or 2011. Not sure. Whatever season it was that he was flying around like a madman for the first 8 or so games, then got injured. Probably the best I've seen a Skins defender play in recent memory. Too bad things didn't work out with the guy.

Rob Jackson in 2012. Made more meaningful plays than Orakpo has over his entire career. Of course, I don't think the Skins were close to sniffing the playoffs when Rak was on the field....so that is definitely part of the reason why lol.

I also think Perry Riley has become a pretty decent runstop MLB. I remember his rookie year he kept getting all kinds of bonehead penalties on teams.People on here were ripping the guy apart. He's developed into a nice 2 down MLB, though. This one isn't as surprising to me though, as Riley has gotten plenty of playing time in the same scheme, with a great coach....(London Fletcher).

How many players that were on the Skins in 2009 are still with the team?  Are there any of them that you are surprised are still here?

Orakpo - UFA

Hall - Re-signed

Fletcher - Retired

Moss -  UFA

Doughty - UFA

Golston - UFA

Montgomery - Under Contract

Jackson - UFA

Davis - UFA/Suspended

Surprised Doughty as stuck around this long.  He's been helped out by injuries, suspensions and cap penalties.  

VERY slim pickings here .....

I'll throw up Brandon Banks that first year when he looked like Mike Nelms returning kicks.

Then year two rolled around and he looked like Randell El. Sighs.

Hail.

Yeah, he was amazing in '10.

Couldn't get past those height/weight, strength, and injury issues. Weighed about as much as a voluptuous woman. I enjoyed watching him though. Looked like a big helmet with legs running out there.

Archived