Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

Pointing out that the article

1) States that a deal is in negotiation.

2) Then flat out states that no, no such negotiations have taken place, recently.

3) Then runs off and speculates on how great the deal will be.

But, I will note: Netflix does seem to be doing all right with the direct-to-streaming business model. It certainly seems like they've proven that it's possible to make money, that way.

Netflix is showing the future of TV.  Eventually, the TV model we have grown up on will cease to exist. 

• 2 weeks later...

TAS > all other star treks

:D

I really liked Voyager.

Took all the stuff we knew up till then, put it in a blender, then they had to do it all over again.  (seeking out new civilizations, enemies, alliances, etc.)

Really liked that angle.

And RIP Mr. Spock.  One of my favorites.

I always thought they could've gone back and followed the adventures of Christopher Pike.

Two flashes from the light on the chair. I love Star Trek. DS9 is one of my faves (as my new handle probably gives away). That said, there have been so many spinoffs and movies that I think it's been taken as far as it can go. I'd certainly love to be proven wrong though.

• 4 weeks later...

The real Star Trek is still the best... next gen had a few limited moments but DS9 was pretty great. Had a plethora of great dark characters that outshined the do-goody mannequin bores in Next Gen and Voyager. They finally had the balls to have all out wars and the serial story telling was terrific.

The original is still the best but ds9 was a close second imo.

I've been wanting to get a good, mustache-twirling, tough guy line spouting, Klingon villain, ever since the original series. 

Only one I thought came kinda close, was Christopher Lloyd, in ST3, for like one exchange. 

Kirk:  "You should beam up the Vulcan, too"

Kruge:  "No." 

"But why?"

"Because you wish it." 

"Genesis doesn't work.  Look around you.  This planet's destroying itself!"

"Yes.  Exhilarating, isn't it?" 

I really want some just classic bad guys. 

I think that was a big part of the appeal of DS9.  The Cardassians were pretty close to those old time villains.  Dukat had some great tough guy lines. 

If they look anything like they did in Into Darkness, I'd rather go without Klingons.

I liked it. Frankly, I think the Klingons should be portrayed more as tribes than an established society

The real Star Trek is still the best... next gen had a few limited moments but DS9 was pretty great. Had a plethora of great dark characters that outshined the do-goody mannequin bores in Next Gen and Voyager. They finally had the balls to have all out wars and the serial story telling was terrific.

The original is still the best but ds9 was a close second imo.

DS9 had the best cast. I feel like it was made at the wrong time. Enterprise would have been better off at that point. DS 9 would have been better off now. A little darker, more in touch with social issues, and the prospect of war. Always felt that DS9 took the happy ending route out, probably due to Roddenberry's influence.

CBS and Bryan Singer working on a new Federation show???

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/rumor-cbs-and-bryan-singer-once-again-working-on-a-new-star-trek-tv-series-142

Here's the synopsis for STAR TREK: FEDERATION, courtesy of Memory Alpha.

Humanity has become complacent, and many worlds have left the Federation because of its Human-centric nature. Starfleet is stretched thin and many of its ships are outdated. A new enemy called the Scourge attack and destroy the USS Sojourner and two colony worlds. The only survivor is Lieutenant Commander Alexander Kirk. The authorities refuse to believe his story, which cause Vulcan, Bajor, and Betazed to leave in disgust at the corruption of the UFP, leaving it with only twenty systems under its control. The Ferengi become the dominant power in the galaxy, and make money by spreading the Bajoran religion and making Bajor into a major place of pilgrimage. The Vulcans reunify with the Romulans. The Cardassian and Klingon societies have evolved into more mystical and less warlike cultures, though the Klingon Empire is expanding once more (but they are still on good terms with the Federation). Admiral Nelscott commissions a new USS Enterprise to return the Federation to its goal of going boldly, but with the ulterior objective of finding the Scourge. After its captain and first officer are killed, Commander Kirk (third-in-command) is promoted to captain of a crew of four hundred.

Read more at http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/rumor-cbs-and-bryan-singer-once-again-working-on-a-new-star-trek-tv-series-142#ll0PG1RE1SFe1YAq.99

First glance, sounds absolutely terrible. Like, an insult to the Vision.

I see some elements of DS9 in Singer's proposed series.  That Utopian ideal of the original show probably wouldn't play with today's audiences.  I'm not sure the original show if started today; would've lasted more than one series.

For those hoping something along the lines of the TOS; that died with its creator.

Connected to Slateman's post

http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-27/rumor-day-cbs-wants-star-trek-finally-return-tv

Rumor of the Day: CBS wants Star Trek to finally return to TV

I like the idea of going forwarded really far and kind of dusting off the "Enterprise" idea after a few centuries. I kind of don't want it on CBS though. I'd prefer a AMC or HBO to have it. So, they can get a little darker. Do the same style of a lot of great series where a season is around a dozen episodes that are about 60-90 min long. There is an main storyline that covers the whole series. But each season is focused on a specific "something". Like the Wire or GoT or Justified. 

Connected to Slateman's post

I like the idea of going forwarded really far and kind of dusting off the "Enterprise" idea after a few centuries. I kind of don't want it on CBS though. I'd prefer a AMC or HBO to have it. So, they can get a little darker. Do the same style of a lot of great series where a season is around a dozen episodes that are about 60-90 min long. There is an main storyline that covers the whole series. But each season is focused on a specific "something". Like the Wire or GoT or Justified.

Or SciFi

• 2 weeks later...