Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen, AJ Smith connection and relationship

posse87

If others feel this is best suited for another topic, then please merge, but I didn't see a topic on this.  I have read how Bruce is more of a politician and not a personnel guy, and pretty much the exact opposite characterization I have read about Smith when in SD.  Smith was a successful personnel guy in SD, but I'm wondering how all the personnel guys are acting together, to deliver a final product?  Smith and Bruce are also supposed to be close friends.   I've never really seen much, in depth, about the relationship.

If others feel this is best suited for another topic, then please merge, but I didn't see a topic on this. I have read how Bruce is more of a politician and not a personnel guy, and pretty much the exact opposite characterization I have read about Smith when in SD. Smith was a successful personnel guy in SD, but I'm wondering how all the personnel guys are acting together, to deliver a final product? Smith and Bruce are also supposed to be close friends. I've never really seen much, in depth, about the relationship.

AJ Smith was terrible in San Diego, not successful in pretty much every move.

Im glad someone brought this AJ Smith thread up, goes to show you Bruce Allen like hiring guys he knows well and comfortable with instead of guys with credentials.

Im neutral on Gruden. Didnt think he was the best canidate but im still down with it. Do not like the retention of failures Scott Campbell, Morocco Brown, Haslett and Raheem Morris. Firing best rb coach in football, retaining Burney.

I liked the promotion of Sean McVay and getting Ike Hilliard and Kirk Olividotti back.

AJ Smith was terrible in San Diego, not successful in pretty much every move.

You're way off the mark on Smith. He took a mess of a franchise and turned them into perennial contenders with what was widely regarded as the most talented roster in the league. Apparently he was a real jerk to work for and in player negotiations which led to his downfall in San Diego but his eye for talent can't be questioned.

I'm not sure how viable this info is, but Cooley was saying how he's seeing much more of AJ Smith since the departure of Shanahan. One of the problems I had with the Vinny led Skins was that we seemed to ignore our scouts and just have a room full of Danny, Vinny and coaches who can't possibly put in the work to get to know a player and a player's upside that scouts can. 

That being said, I've always compared AJ Smith to the Eagles and Steelers front offices in the way he drafted well and didn't really go out of the way in signing free agents, and even was a tough negotiator in re-signing his own players. I think he could be an asset to our player acquisition part if used properly. I don't want him too involved in free agency though as he seems to believe in the draft more than free agency which is good, but he has let some good (great) players go through free agency. 

I researched this back in the coaches thread.

AJ Smith imho is a good talent evaluator as a GM but bad at personal relationships.

He built one of the most talented teams in the NFL w/ the Chargers and ran into trouble because for lack of a better term he seems like a prick.

Bruce strong suit is his personal relationships more then his talent evaluation as a GM.

The good part is according to the available information they're friends and that is very important in my book.

I view the duo as defacto co-GM.

I assume from their background that AJ will be the 'brains' of the or talent evaluator and Bruce will be the big picture relationship guy.

But we don't know how their dynamic works, its all just assumption, speculation and connecting the dots.

Im glad someone brought this AJ Smith thread up, goes to show you Bruce Allen like hiring guys he knows well and comfortable with instead of guys with credentials.

Im neutral on Gruden. Didnt think he was the best canidate but im still down with it. Do not like the retention of failures Scott Campbell, Morocco Brown, Haslett and Raheem Morris. Firing best rb coach in football, retaining Burney.

I liked the promotion of Sean McVay and getting Ike Hilliard and Kirk Olividotti back.

I have no idea how you reached half the conclusions you reached in your post.

If AJ isn't around Redskins park very often it's hard to imagine he has a large role. I've always assumed he is more of a consultant than a true role player in the front office. It's also known that he lives in Cali and has no desire to leave. He only comes to visit. Another sign he's not heavily involved.  

Even with a clear cut GM there are group actions occurring behind the scenes, scouts etc. Whether they are being listened to or not is another story, but they are at least making suggestions.

I think its possible that Brown Smith and Campbell are more GMs than Allen is. I am as interested in their relationship as much as Allen and Smith's.

If AJ isn't around Redskins park very often it's hard to imagine he has a large role. I've always assumed he is more of a consultant than a true role player in the front office. It's also known that he lives in Cali and has no desire to leave. He only comes to visit. Another sign he's not heavily involved.

Huh? Where did you get this from?

Huh? Where did you get this from?

Cooley, Twiiter, and other various sources. It was brought up soon after Shanahn was fired and there was speculation of a front office reorg that he and his family live in California and he doesn't want to move. He began making more trips to the park when things started going south towards the end of the season.

Interesting comment from Bruce today....AJ Smith is actually at the senior bowl.....it doesn't seem that he is so remote from the team and evaluation process as others have suggested.

He could just be out there grading players. 

Until he is accountable for something he isn't a major player.

As most have said, his drafting has been second to very few if any over his time at San Diego, as long as he isn't allowed to talk to anyone I'm fine with it.

He could just be out there grading players. 

Until he is accountable for something he isn't a major player.

As most have said, his drafting has been second to very few if any over his time at San Diego, as long as he isn't allowed to talk to anyone I'm fine with it.

What does that mean?  If he has significant impact on the draft process, he is a major player.  I'm thinking it's a good over overall!

What does that mean?  If he has significant impact on the draft process, he is a major player.  I'm thinking it's a good over overall!

If he is just throwing his grades into a pile of grades, it's not major.  That's a consultants role.

If he has input on the draft selections, that's a whole other story.  That would make him accountable for something.  Meaning he can be praised or fired for his selections instead of just a "Thanks for the input AJ".

I'm actually very interested in knowing what exactly AJ Smith's role of the team is. This is much more refreshing then hearing the typical Haslett hate, Danny leaks, and RG3 Debate threads. I always thought we were keeping AJ Smith on payroll to take over at Player evaluator duties when Shanny got canned. Doesn't seem to be the case, but I wonder what the extent of his role is here. Why hasn't he taken a job elsewhere? I'm sure there are plenty of teams who would take him on even with his less than stellar people skills.

AJ Smith imho is a good talent evaluator as a GM but bad at personal relationships.

You nailed it. He was nicknamed the Lord of no rings back there, nevertheless I like him as a talent evaluator.

I hope we will be wise enough to use his talents. Put him in charge of the draft selection and please don't let Allen stick his nose into it.

If he is just throwing his grades into a pile of grades, it's not major.  That's a consultants role.

If he has input on the draft selections, that's a whole other story.  That would make him accountable for something.  Meaning he can be praised or fired for his selections instead of just a "Thanks for the input AJ".

One thing that has always amazed me with this franchise is that our scouting and front office department is not the best in the business.

It's one of the few areas that there are no restrictions on time, size, and pay.  

One thing that has always amazed me with this franchise is that our scouting and front office department is not the best in the business.

It's one of the few areas that there are no restrictions on time, size, and pay.  

If AJ had some serious input on who we select I think that would change dramatically.

But I'd want him nowhere near the negotiations.  Those San Diego teams were stacked.  It was Marty and Norv coaching that led to their demise. 

You nailed it. He was nicknamed the Lord of no rings back there, nevertheless I like him as a talent evaluator.

I hope we will be wise enough to use his talents. Put him in charge of the draft selection and please don't let Allen stick his nose into it.

That is hilarious.  And I agree with you whole heartidly.  We'd be naive not to use him til he dried up.

Well Morroco Brown has had a few interviews around the league over the years but they for the most part are lateral moves and Dan keeps upping his pay. Campbell from what we have heard has had largely good draft boards and have been mostly ignored.

Archived