Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The House that Bruce Built

Voice_of_Reason

This is the quote I will always remember from Bruce Allen's time here:

“The draft is going to be a great way to add to the team. We’ve been active in free agency, so we feel there’s no gaping holes on the roster, but as we look at our team, we really look at where our roster is in 2015 and 2016 as well. It allows us the flexibility to make sure that we follow the draft board that’s been set up with everyone’s communication, so we’re not looking at a particular position as we address the draft.”

No competent GM in his right mind would take an office at Ashburn so long as Allen is still in the building in any position, regardless of the title.

If I'm a potential GM, I'm also insisting that Snyder remove his office from the facility and conduct his business elsewhere. Also, I'm getting it written into my contract that my head coach, his staff, and myself will not have to review film with him at any point during the football season.

No gaping holes LOL

We went from Madieu Williams and Josh Wilson to Ryan Clark and David Amerson.  Bad to worse.  Great job you fools

And also we went from complaining about

Chris Samuels, Pete Kendall, Kasey Rabach, Randy Thomas, Jon Jansen under Zorn

to loling about

Trent Williams, Shawn Lauvao*, Kory Lichtensteiger, Chris Chester*, Tyler Polumbus* under Gruden

At least we've upgraded from Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Davis though and it is really working out well.

• Like 1

If Snyder is ever going to stop the Redskins’ seemingly never-ending cycle of spending big and losing bigger, he needs to find the next Schneider or Baalke, a personnel man with plenty of scouting experience, and give him control of the football operations. Who knows? Maybe such a candidate is already working for the team.

Let Allen do what he’s good at, representing the Redskins at league meetings, shmoozing with local officials, community leaders and former players, but hire someone else to make the football decisions.

http://davidelfinonsports.com/skins-need-general-manager-personnel-experience/#more-1748

• Like 1

Here's my connect the dots everyone is mostly happy solution (except for Jay/McVay maybe)

AJ Smith-GM

Cam Cameron-OC/QBs (possible play caller)

Wade Phillips-DC

Would love to see that.  At least one of those coordinators.  If Jay is going to stay, we need a guy we can replace him with midseason if we must.  I shudder at the thought of having to replace him with anyone currently on this staff.

If AJ Smith is named GM its more of the same. Him and Bruce are best buddys and he has been advising him for the last 2 years.

The buddy buddy stuff has to go. If Dan is serious about this franchise he needs to bite the bullet and clean house completely. Hire the best GM out there and let them pick coaches.

If AJ Smith is named GM its more of the same. Him and Bruce are best buddys and he has been advising him for the last 2 years.

The buddy buddy stuff has to go. If Dan is serious about this franchise he needs to bite the bullet and clean house completely. Hire the best GM out there and let them pick coaches.

AJ Smith's son is also a Redskins scout.

I agree with this.  But I'd take Smith over the current format.  But yeah its Bruce creating another laying of nepotism.   Thom Loverro spelled it out well in an article the Grudens-Allens- McVays -- and others have friendship ties that goes back a long way.

Bruce didn't build it. Dan Snyder built it.

"On Jim Zorn: “The general manager needs to prevent the owner from hiring someone who’s not qualified. And that’s why Vinny is no longer here, to be truthful with you. He’s not here because his job was to prevent the owner from hiring a not-qualified coach. Having said that, we went in and had the worst two-year experience I ever dreamed. I apologized, according to my wife, ten thousand times. I apologize openly. I made a big mistake. It’s a terrible experience when you know you got the wrong guy to lead the franchise.” Dan Snyder says he fired Vinny Cerrato for letting him hire Jim Zorn - The Washington Post

And he said that AFTER he had already hired another unqualified GM:

"Bruce Allen is the personification of an NFL winner," Snyder said in a statement released by the team. "Our fans know his heritage; we know his abilities. He is the right person to lead our club." Bruce Allen Replaces Vinny Cerrato As Redskins GM

By the way, the "worst 2 year experience" Dan Snyder ever dreamed was 12-20. These past 2 years we'll end up 6-26 when we finish losing these last 3.

I hear yah, I would like to see Dan clean house GM+HC with new staff. But even then the 'buddy-buddy' stuff would still be present to a certain extent the NFL is a closed circle. There are coaching trees and relationship networks that are inevitable because the NFL is such insular environment. But I think there is a huge leap from advising Bruce to being in the actual GM. Judging from what I've read about AJ Smith dating back to his time in San Diego I would have to guess that IF he was GM he would have fired Haslett if not the whole staff.

But appointing AJ Smith GM is closer to right then anything prior and that's better then what we have know.

Danny needs to stop hiring people like AJ Smith/Allen. He was fired in San Diego and since then not one team has offered him a GM position. 

Best move would be to get someone who is heavily involved in the FO from a winning team/culture. This FO needs new blood. Hiring Smith would be the same ole skins.

Would love to see that.  At least one of those coordinators.  If Jay is going to stay, we need a guy we can replace him with midseason if we must.  I shudder at the thought of having to replace him with anyone currently on this staff.

I agree, if Jay and Griffin are going to return next year. I think its imperative that someone other then Jay/McVay are primarily responsible for QB development (and preferably play calling also). Jay has failed in the QB development side of his job with Griff and Kirk AND Jay made it clear that he had given up on Griffin altogether*. To give Griffin a fair chance to develop and compete Jay cannot be the voice of the passing game because his mind is already made up. There needs to be a knowledgeable objective voice.

*Every NFL coach/QB I've heard on the topic thinks Jay is giving up on Griffin too quickly. (Billick, Mooch,Cowher, Parcells, Young, Dilfer,  Joey T) everyone except Fran Tarkenton

Wasn't Cameron fired from the Ravens and they went on to win the SB?  

Danny needs to stop hiring people like AJ Smith/Allen. He was fired in San Diego and since then not one team has offered him a GM position. 

Best move would be to get someone who is heavily involved in the FO from a winning team/culture. This FO needs new blood. Hiring Smith would be the same ole skins.

I think it is ArttMonkForHOF or MonkHall81 or someone in a thread about GMs who had a great list of up and comers and a few established types.

This is gonna sound nuts, but someone should give Snyder that list, maybe review it with AJ Smith (but not hire him) and see if there is anyone who can be with this team for 15-20 years and who has a solid reputation as the decision-maker for the draft.  Then let that GM hire a coach.  

With Smith his '04 and '05 drafts turned the Chargers around into a SB contender.  

Phillip Rivers
Igor Olshansky
Nate Kaeding
Nick Hardwick
Shaun Phillips
Michael Turner
Shawne Merriman
Luis Castillo
Vincent Jackson
Darren Sproles

Eight of those guys were pro-bowlers during their careers.  Then he drafted Antonio Cromartie and Marcus McNeil in '06.  Since then his drafts haven't been as great.  His next three first round picks (Craig Davis, Antoine Cason and Larry English) were all busts.

One thing Smith is good at though, which the Skins have sucked at for years, is drafting OL and DL.  He also seems to know RBs.  Sproles, Turner and Matthews were all good.  

Smith's arrogance with players and agents when it came to contracts is why he wasn't liked.  Also he still lives in the San Diego area and was still being paid by the Spanos family after he was fired.  I don't think he was dying to find another GM job.  
Edited by drowland
  • Like 1