Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Robert Griffin III wants to play in pro-style offense, not read option

The Trashman

Not sure if this has been posted already or not, and if so, pls forgive me.

And I don't know of the validity or accuracy of this report but here goes....

From what I’m told, RGIII wants to play in a pro-style offense, rather than run read-option plays all the time. Should work with Jay Gruden

The other obvious question is how successful Griffin can be in a conventional offense. Nobody is saying Griffin doesn't have the skills or the acumen to be in a pro-style offense, but he hasn't done it.

Assuming the report is legitimate and Gruden doesn't want to alienate his star quarterback as soon as he starts his new job, the Redskins will have a more conventional offense for Griffin to run. And Gruden's success or failure as a NFL coach will be largely determined by how successful Griffin is in that kind of system.

This could be another splice and dice media hatchet job and if so, it would be a shame on them. But if it is true, then it would be interesting to see if (1) Gruden acquiesces to it and (2) if Griffin will be successful running an offense that is not read-option based.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/robert-griffin-iii-wants-play-pro-style-offense-204506917--nfl.html

Griffin doesn't need the RO to thrive, though it's a nice thing to keep in your back pocket if you need it.

He really plays great in a run-heavy system that emphasizes the PA pass...but there's no telling how well he can play in more of a spread look. I think half the reason he looked better off PA was because we mainly ran 2 WR routes, which is borderline archaic in today's NFL. Those guys were able to create more separation for him off of PA because of our strong running game. But getting him more receiving options out there from the get-go could easily jump-start his ability to succeed in a more traditional passing offense. The route combos and personnel combos were incredibly simple in Kyle's offense (other than getting cute with a WR in the backfield in the pistol), and mostly only worked when we could run the ball (aka when we were within a score or so).

Griffin shined all season in a faster tempo spread shotgun look which shorter/quicker passing routes. That is what I want to see more of. Morris can run on his own and Griffin can pass on his own, neither need the RO to be successful though it is a nice play to break out a handful of times. 

Gruden runs the RO occasionally so I expect it to continue but it won't be the crutch of the offense the way it was under Kyle/Mike. 

I am really excited to see the offense Gruden puts together. I doubt it will be the pistol play action based whack ass passing offense we saw so much of the past two years.

I think these two guys will be great for each other.

I hate reports like this

1) Look around the NFL; The read option is all over the place as part of "Pro-style offenses". For example, Cincy event started running some of it

2) Stop with the whole "pro-style" offense notion, as it's basically a worthless word at this point. One could argue the Patriots offense in past years looked as much like a number of "college" offenses, and yet it was plenty successful to the point that I doubt anyone would've called it a none "pro-style" offense. I love how we throatily derided Rob Ryan last year when he down talked a "College offense" and then proceeded to have his PROFESSIONAL players stomped by us; but all of a sudden now we're buying into that notion? If it's working against pros, in the pros, then it's "pro".

3) IF this is true, and I don't know how true it is, then it's a stupid notion by Griffin and one that I hope a good coach can work out of him. Versatility isn't something to be shunned, but embraced. Griffin at one point suggested he didn't want to be pidgin holed...then don't get pidgin holed. Don't be "pocket passer" or a "drop back passer" or a "mobile passer" or a "West coast passer" or a "spread passer" or a "Game manager" or a "gunslinger"....just be a quarterback and make use of all your skills in the best fashion to win. Simple as that.

But gruden just said he loved the read option.  Uh oh we have another coach-qb controversy!

Lol, I find it hard to believe rg3 dislikes the read option.  He may not want to scramble 100 times a year, but the read option is what will keep him healthier in the long run if he learns to slide.  When defensive ends are hesitant to rush upfield it makes it easier for his tackles to block them, even on non-read option plays.

Good. Gruden runs a pro-style, only has a bit of the RO like many teams now do, and it's good to see RG3 doesn't want to just rely on mobility that he wants to take his game to the next level.

My thoughts as well. Jay is going to put the guys in the best position to succeed. No more head banging against the wall.

I would be very surprised if there is any truth to this.  Robert is a smart kid, he would know better than to start off the new coaches first day with comments like this.  If Robert really doesn't want to run the option, i'm sure he would have conversations about it with the new coach behind closed doors.  Come on media, the Shannahan's are gone, we are done with the circus act around here.  Lets take the made up stories else where.  We are ready to play ball again in D.C.

HTTR

I don't believe Robert said this, but when Robert was taking a lot of snaps from under center the first few games of the season, he was getting killed in the pocket. If we overhaul our O-Line, there's an argument for it, but the RO should still be apart of the offense IMO, but used in more spread formations ala Seattle.

I'm sort of tired of the pistol. Would like to see more under center and more shotgun

I think the pistol is great, especially with Alfred.

Cooley has also been talking about how the Colts started giving Luck more spread formatons, which helped tip off coverages. He is able to make a very quick pre snap read and go to it right away.

Gruden sounds like he is not married to any particular system, so I look forward to seeing what he comes up with. 

The Pistol is a great formation, how can anyone be tired of it? Peyton Manning has lined up out of the pistol this year. So has Tom Brady. Many teams use it.

What the offense needs is variety, but im confident RG3 can run any offense. As long as he believes in his knee, he will be fine.

“They’re an outside zone blocking team that can do inside zone. I like the power plays. I like the gap blocking plays. So there’s a little bit of everything. I don’t think any offense in the NFL anymore is just, ‘We are this.’ I think we have to adhere to what we have offensively, talent-wise. We can do the read option. We can do naked bootlegs. We can run outside zone. We can run bubble screens. We can run deep balls. We can do play-action deep things. I think the whole idea to be a successful offense is to be diverse and be good at a lot of different things and not just one.”

IF its true doesn't really matter anymore.

Regardless of whether Griffin said it or not doesn't matter anymore.

Someone else claims Griffin said it and apparently that's enough in the modern media cycle.

Nevermind that they are constantly factually wrong.

Remember when the whole staff was fired? That was reported as fact.

If Griffin comes out and shoots this report down it gives more audience to then this 'report' is worth.

Not sure if RG would have the accuracy for a pro-style offense. If he does, Gruden could possibly do well with RG but if it is a read style offense, I think it will be a gamble. I think the Defense will be 32nd in the league with Gruden as coach and not getting rid of Haslett. DUMB move. 

Offense does better than the defense and the front office fires the offense. And Who thinks the 'skins are on the right track? ugh  :unsure:

Did RG3 really say this or just something manufactured by the media....again.

Rg3 is in hawaii right now enjoying his life and staying far away from football.

Rg3 will be ready for whatever Gruden wants him to run.

I hate how the media likes to make it like Rg3 is only about the read option.

Did RG3 really say this or just something manufactured by the media....again.

Rg3 is in hawaii right now enjoying his life and staying far away from football.

Rg3 will be ready for whatever Gruden wants him to run.

I hate how the media likes to make it like Rg3 is only about the read option.

Probably his dad talking off the record. Whatever.

I'm getting a little weary reading about what RG3 wants and what kind of offense best suits him. I'm ready for him to quietly go abut learning whatever plays he's taught, and then running them successfully when they are called. I know, that's a novel idea and all but I really think he can do it.

I think it would be shrewd for Griffin and his PR to take a more proactive approach to the 'reports'.

Even though addresses every false report would be futile they can't be tone deaf to reports that have potential to be damaging.

In Griff next interview I would make sure he slips in a sentence or 2 that completes nullify the non-sense in a report like this:

~I am excited to be working with our new HC Jay Gruden. I look forward to learning and mastering every aspect of this offense from read-option to drop back footwork. etc...

Archived