Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Or it might just be that we like what a particular candidate has to offer, we share his vision and think he fits exactly what we require.

Sorry Major, to suggest we in effect have to follow like sheep what everyone else is doing and only be interested in names other ball clubs are or the media are banding around with them is a completely asinine concept to me whichever way I look at it.

Man, how many guys who went on to have decent careers and better as pro HC's over the years that got their shot out of nowhere wouldn't have if their respective first employers just went with a 'name?'

You hire the best guy for YOU. NOT what others perceive you should be doing or to follow some trend going on.

Hail.

Don't put words in my mouth. Never said we need to follow like sheep, just that if only one team is considering a guy, with 8 vacancies in the league, it is a red flag. Couple that with the whole rg2 and rg3, and it's really strange. I am pretty sure we were the only ones to consider zorn.

I agree with Zoony. This is the work of jlc. I think you pro briles guys might actually be the sheep. ;)

Just give me an example of a guy who came out of nowhere, with only one team remotely interested who went on to be a good / great hc in the NFL.

Hell, we've just gone through the worst 4 year HC period in our history from a guy with two previous Lombardi's under his belt. Who most NOBODY thought would be as horribly bad to the whole organisation as he turned out. 

What's to say what's a 'red flag' and what isn't?

FWIW, I don't think Briles will be Coaching anywhere else other than Waco next year. But I sure as heck believe he's high on our radar and think paired with the right staff over the other side of the ball, is as viable and worthy a candidate as anyone else that we should be looking at. 

Hail. 

Just give me an example of a guy who came out of nowhere, with only one team remotely interested who went on to be a good / great hc in the NFL.

Was anyone else courting Coach Joe back in 1981?

He was making a name for himself as the OC in SD, but he'd never had a sniff at a HC job prior in 17 years as an assistant split between the pros and college. 

He didn't turn out too bad. I'm not for one minute comparing Art to Coach, but I see a heck of a lot of similarities in the two. 

Hail. 

Was anyone else courting Coach Joe back in 1981?

He was making a name for himself as the OC in SD, but he'd never had a sniff at a HC job prior in 17 years as an assistant split between the pros and college. 

He didn't turn out too bad. I'm not for one minute comparing Art to Coach, but I see a heck of a lot of similarities in the two. 

Hail.

Umm, I can't say for sure, as I was 4. I don't think you really know the answer to that question. Biggest difference? He was an NFL guy.

Umm, I can't say for sure, as I was 4. I don't think you really know the answer to that question. Biggest difference? He was an NFL guy.

I don't. That's why I asked. I was little older myself. Everything I read it was only JKC who liked him on interview. 

And yeah, he had NFL experience. (Albeit no HC experience.). But a case could be made that he was really starting to make a name for himself running another innovative offense out West like Briles has been doing his career. 

But it's more the characters of both men that strike me as eerily similar. Quiet, humble, Christian guys who's chargers fully buy into their ideals, appreciate the way they handle them and are prepared to give everything for them come Sundays. 

Hail. 

Not to defend GHH, but Jimmy Johnson did pretty well as a coach coming from college; took the Cowboys to 3 SB wins in 6 years.

But I do understand the hesitancy in Briles;  but isn't in water under the bridge anyway? I though he stated he had no interest or intent on jumping to the NFL

Don't put words in my mouth. Never said we need to follow like sheep, just that if only one team is considering a guy, with 8 vacancies in the league, it is a red flag. Couple that with the whole rg2 and rg3, and it's really strange. I am pretty sure we were the only ones to consider zorn.

I agree with Zoony. This is the work of jlc. I think you pro briles guys might actually be the sheep. ;)

Maybe we need a 5 principles of the Art Briles offense thread :)

Would that be the best guy for the team or the best guy for Griffin?

If Briles somehow was hired [ which I doubt ], and the Redskins don't improve, both of them and Snyder will be ridiculed to no end.

I look at it this way, the bench mark for success is extremely low right now. He gets 4 wins and he's more succesfull then the previous year. However, I'd probably look for perhaps a HC that was fired or look to make another coordinator who thinks they could help develope the system OC/Asst. HC.

How does this help the old hat? if it's successful he gets the credit also for helping develope the system/scheme. He would get info on the "Spread/Read Option" that he might need for a later gig as HC. Tell me if Briles was named HC and some other ex-HC was named OC and the team goes deeper into the play offs then they were last time, you don't think the OC/Asst. HC is not going to be looked at again for another HC the following year? What would scream out at the owners

Team player

Helped develope a system to the NFL

Innovative

Someone who has learned the college system for an owner wanting to utilize it.

People think the Spread/Read Option won't last long, but I think it's just gaining momentum. No different then the WCO, and Gibbs scheme changed how teams thought and played the game.... this college scheme is still changing for the NFL. If something works and adds another dimension that defenses have to think about and account for it will be used. Call it what you want but if it works teams will start adopting parts to incorporate into their system.

Not to defend GHH, but Jimmy Johnson did pretty well as a coach coming from college; took the Cowboys to 3 SB wins in 6 years.

But I do understand the hesitancy in Briles;  but isn't in water under the bridge anyway? I though he stated he had no interest or intent on jumping to the NFL

and this is where everyone gets confused. Never did Briles say he did not want to take on an NFL team. He said : there would be interest to see how his scheme would work in the NFL, but I'm not persuing that. < No where did he say I'm not interested and no where did he say I'm not going to take an NFL job if offered.

He also said I'm a Baylor Bear. What would you expect him to say? If he's not offered a NFL job then technically he's still the HC of Baylor. But that in no means implies that if he was offered the Redskins job he would turn it down. See all it was to me was coach speak to get the media off his back.

The real question that needs to be posed to him is "If the Redskins came to him and offered the position would he take the job?" and the answer needs to be "yes" or "no". I bet he would not answer or would still dance around the topic saying it was hypothetical. Techically it is until he's offered the job. Lets say he said yes to the question that he would take the job, that alone screams to college prospects that you might leave the college. Why would I waist my time going there? Why as a college would I want to keep him on staff knowing he's willing to jump to the next job at any time? Briles answered the question the best way he could. With out lying if he takes the job later.

No he was not offered the job

No "official" (management) Redskin spoke with him about the job" (RG3 is not management)

He's interested in how his scheme would work in the NFL

He's not persuing an NFL job< but if a team persued him I bet he'd listen

He's a Baylor Bear. Cause he's still employed by them of course he is.

Robert needs an experienced, proven NFL coach. If Briles is so great, why does RG need to learn about being a pocket passer. I think the team and RG would benefit a lot more, maybe Briles can help on offense but no way HC. Don't get me wrong as an Eagle fan Id love to see him get HC spot

Archived