Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Art Briles Philosophy- Why he's THE man for the Redskins. THE BRILES FILES!

Gibbs Hog Heaven

Our OL doesn't form a pocket for the QB. Often our center ends up right on the QB, because he's been pushed back into the QB. The right side of the OL is just flat out bad. When we have to have WRs and TEs backing up the OL, that is beyond bad, it's pathetic.

Well, you're right that the OL has been subpar. Though, backs and TEs are a part of nearly every teams play book. They allow 6, 7 and 8 man protections.

Great post GHH. Thanks for the hard work. I certainly learned a bit more. Be a shame to get away from the power running with guys like Young and Morris back there though.

Does this mean you think Briles will get away from power running? (and its not like this offense uses Young very much regardless)

I think our running game would improve with Briles/Baylor concept.

Imagine if Morris spent most of his time running against a 6 or 7 man box?  Briles/Baylor offense would ensure the Morris/Helu face more favorable run fronts AND Briles running scheme is more diverese. Its not just ZBS scheme there is power with traps/pulling.

Actually no; not at all really.

Other then the Saints game the offense does not take a lot of concepts from Baylor.

Griffin prolly ran the triple option more with the Kyle then he did with Briles.

The base formation with Kyle was 1 RB 1 FB 1 TE usually all in the same backfield sometimes they added a WR the base formations at Baylor were spread formations.

Baylor used zone-read Kyle read-option: dive-read/midline read.

I was going back through the cut ups of Griff's games at Baylor, and I can't recall ever seeing that Diamond formation. I don't even think I saw him in the Pistol I-form. Baylor also ran outside zone with the QB reading the middle linebacker (see; that play that got London killed over and over and over again in Week 1), and I think Kyle's maybe called that once in 2 seasons.

Why wouldn't the spread or the high paced offense last?

How will defenses be more ready?

I think its the fans who wonder if the spread/turbo/high paced offences are gimmick or havnt watched alot of football, are the ones who say it wont last.

All someone has to do is watch a weeks worth of college games and they will see how many teams employ this technique.

Players in this scheme are going to be far more advanced then ever before.

To give an example:

A. Luck played in a pro style formation in college, so he had advantages when coming to the pros and playing in similar offense.

Robert played in the spread offense and it was no surprise in that is were he had his most success. 

Does this mean you think Briles will get away from power running? (and its not like this offense uses Young very much regardless)

I think our running game would improve with Briles/Baylor concept.

Imagine if Morris spent most of his time running against a 6 or 7 man box?  Briles/Baylor offense would ensure the Morris/Helu face more favorable run fronts AND Briles running scheme is more diverese. Its not just ZBS scheme there is power with traps/pulling.

Funny thing is, you'd think Baylor would have the smaller, faster, scat type backs. Nope. They run with power. Ganaway, Seastruck. Alf would be PERFECT in that system.

Robert played in the spread offense and it was no surprise in that is were he had his most success.

Not all spreads are built alike, though. A spread isn't a spread. Spread just speaks on the majority of offensive formations. Not the scheme employed.

Technically, I can be an all air spread. Or a power running spread with motions.

I'd be more than fine with Briles as the next head coach. Good article here from Sports Illustrated about the offense

Still, as anyone who has watched college football over the past 10 years knows, a lot of teams press tempo. What makes the Bears truly unique is how far Briles stretches a defense. Kelly, Urban Meyer and the other spread innovators talk about stretching defenses vertically and horizontally, but Briles gets more than anybody out of the field's 53.33 yards of width. As the coach at Stephenville (Texas) High in the early 1990s, Briles moved his widest receivers outside the yard numbers. Sure, some teams station a receiver at the numbers if they are snapping the ball from the near hash mark. But Briles puts them mere feet from each sideline no matter where his offense is positioned on the field.

This takes away the option of having those receivers run out routes. They simply don't have enough room. It also means that they can't come down to help block on most runs. "You give up a lot of game-book football -- which is OK for us," Briles said. "We're not trying to be like everybody else. We're trying to be different."

Briles, however, gets more than he gives up. Unless a defense has a secondary full of future NFL players, the cornerbacks are completely on their own with the Baylor receivers. They can give no help to stopping the run. The two safeties must be used to shade to the wide side of the field, meaning a third safety has to cover a slot receiver on the short side. That leaves four linemen and two linebackers -- or three linemen and three linebackers, the combination Oklahoma will likely deploy on Thursday -- to deal with the rushing threats posed by Petty and tailback Lache Seastrunk (9.1 yards a carry), who operate behind an offensive line led by a projected first-round NFL draft pick (left guard Cyril Richardson).

Video: Rising Stars: Baylor running back Lache Seastrunk

Blitzing also carries more risk than usual for the defense, because the Bears are likely to line up in a four-receiver, one-back set. With the Baylor receivers spread so wide, the odds are that one of them will find a hole in a zone, or beat one-on-one coverage. Or Briles, who bases much of his offense on the Veer he ran as a receiver for coach Bill Yeoman at Houston, might just opt for simple and nasty. "If you don't watch it, you end up working on things that he might do twice [in an entire game] and he'll kick your butt with just the zone dive," said Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett, who got his butt kicked twice in three meetings with the Cougars when Briles was at Houston (2003-07) and Bennett was the head coach at SMU (2002-07).

The most important aspect of the Bears' offense has nothing to do with routes or protections. It's the attitude Briles has instilled at every head-coaching stop he's made from Hamlin (Texas) High to Baylor. In nearly every case, Briles has taken over a team with little history of success and turned it into a consistent winner. When he took over at Stephenville, where he went on to win four Class 4A state titles, the Yellow Jackets hadn't won a district title in 36 years. They hadn't beaten rival Brownwood High since 1963. In 1990, Briles' third season at the helm, a film crew from the Discovery Channel wanted to produce a segment on Texas high school football. Briles chose the Brownwood game. Stephenville's winless streak died with the cameras rolling.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131106/art-briles-baylor-bears/#ixzz2oubtgP6W

I've said all of this pro-Briles stuff repeatedly...but without the fancy doo-dads & shapes, lol.

His offense is innovative beyond the X's & O's. The main trick for me is how it emphasizes improvisation on the fly from all skills positions & advances the players beyond what a drawn up play can provide.

I feel that he's on the forefront of what's NEXT in terms of play-calling pre & post snap & his philosophy turns a football field & his players more into a soccer-style of play where you see a space, you fill the space.

Why this will help Robert is because he'll be going back into AP offense with honors (having won a Heisman in that system) as opposed to the modern Sandscrit interpretation 101 he's been undergoing here.

I really honestly believe that half of the mental issues have been because he's been made to dumb things down & stick with play-calling specifics too much & his mind has been honed to take improvisational initiative based on pre/post-snap reads.

Bringing Briles in would be a huge upgrade & one that brings us into the era of modern football & out of the caves.

Also...to those who think he's a huge unproven gamble & such. I'm at the point where even pure gold would be a huge gamble with this franchise. ..so I'd rather take a flyer on innovative minds than try to bore myself into interest.

Good post GHH.  

When some say NFL DCs will figure it out they're having a giraffe.  Each play has multiple options and between the scheme and player talent you need to get one guy a bit open be it run or pass.  Hard to do, add in an increased tempo and it's nigh on unstoppable.  Good luck bringing AlMo down anywhere near the los with all the players strung out :)

Future gazing a good final showing from Captain Kirk will give a nice boost to the resources Brown will have to add talent for our new HC.  That Briles is the kind of football person this post and others have highlighted is good enough to hire him.  That our franchise QB has worked with him previously is also a good thing.  They already have that teacher/pupil, boss/not boss relationship established.

I mean... These questions aren't really answerable at the moment. We need another receiving threat. (I think Hank is fine, but we'll need a 2/3 type). We need to upgrade the OL. But those things are necessities regardless.

This is where its going to get tough. If Briles were to come here he would have to change the OL with the exception of TW.

But most of the receivers are going to have to have some speed, and they are going to have to avoid the jams at the LOS.

Right now Garcon is very comparable to Antwaan Goodley. They are both stout, strong players that are quick and play mean.

Having watched Briles since he has been here, I would say his most potent option is his ability to adjust. And then comes his strong ability to taylor the scheme to his players.

This thread brings comfort to me. The name of the next head coach of the Washington Redskins is of minimal importance to me. What I want to see is someone who puts the players he has in the position to win. Who can adapt and make game winning adjustments to what the opposition brings. This team has a back who either breaks free from the pile or carries it with him nearly every time it looks like he'll get swallowed up and a quarterback who when on top of his game gives opposing defenses fits. Neither should be wasted. Couple that with a great mind and motivator on defense and someone with an eye for talent acquisition and this team WILL be successful.

Sounds like Briles could be part of that equation. I could care less what casual observers think about the driving force.

Even if RGIII (or his father) has nothing to do with Briles being hired, the perception will be there and it will become a distraction for the team.  The media would not let it go, you would hear the questions all the time, especially if things went bad.  Granted, things may go well, not saying they would be bad, just do not need to bring any more distractions to a franchise which already has enough drama and perceptions.

I keep hearing about PERCEPTION and blah blah blah. The only perception that matters to me is peoples perception of this team being a perennial loser, that's it.

I don't care if the next Head Coach move is approved by the media,liked by the fanbase, or gets the approval of the lockeroom. I don't care if half the roster on a potential 3-13 team, that has lost 10+ in 3 out 4 seasons likes the new hire.This roster is about to be turned over and rebuilt. 80% of these guys won't be here in 2-3 years anyway. 

The Redskins hated Marty when he first took over the team. Some of the teams biggest stars openly criticized him in the media and let it be known they didn't like the guy. That team started 0-5 until they got their head out of their ass and got on board with the HC, the rest of that season was history. Team went from a fractured lockeroom in the beginning of the season to one of the most together teams I've seen in recent Redskins memory. 

Players,Fans,and the Media all love and get on board when you win.People wouldn't be able to get on the bandwagon fast enough IF Art Briles is the pick and he had early success. Anyone remember the "Horny for Zorny" shirts aft 3 or 4 games? If Art is the pick and he fails well then he is another guy in a list of coaches that have failed under Snyder. 

What people don't discuss is Robert Griffin III having 3 years left on his deal, can you hire a HC other than Art Briles and afford to pick the wrong guy? You could argue there are more what if's to a fresh hire than there are with Art Briles... 

So enough about the "Perception" 

I'm very intrigued by the idea of Briles coming here. Let's not forget, the guy is the head coach of BAYLOR University. Just 5 or so years ago they were the laughing stock of their conference. And he's quickly turned them into the top school in the state of Texas. Think about that for a second.

It makes you stop and go 'WOW!' even more when you look into his history and just how he revolutionised HS football in the big State. 

I mean seriously. Texas LIVES for God and football as you well know. And here's a guy who COMPLETELY changed the face of Texas HS football and how those kids play. Think about THAT for a second. 

His story really is a compellingly good one. EVERYWHERE he's been he's not only improved things ten fold and built a winning program. he's changed the face of the game. 

Hail. 

I would be willing to bet that nearly all those on the Briles wagon are Madden players. That, and they see what Kelly is doing and think Briles could do the same.

I think Kelly is the exception to the rule, personally. I think he's a lot better coach than he was given credit for. I think Briles would be Spurrier (minus the hardware) all over again. And that's not even taking into account the fact that you're pretty much cementing the media's (fans/teammates, too) perception of RG3 being a diva.

I think there are some important things to point at in regards to exactly what Briles even runs. GHH did an excellent job in the OP, and I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight to cover the game this weekend, so I have some time to kill.

Thanks for the words and additions Coach. Ala LL and others, they resonate more when it comes to X's and O's coming from you guys who always do such a wonderful job in such matters. 

Have a safe flight. I'm looking forward to the gameday thread tomorrow now.  :)

Hail. 

I would be willing to bet that nearly all those on the Briles wagon are Madden players. That, and they see what Kelly is doing and think Briles could do the same.

I think Kelly is the exception to the rule, personally. I think he's a lot better coach than he was given credit for. I think Briles would be Spurrier (minus the hardware) all over again. And that's not even taking into account the fact that you're pretty much cementing the media's (fans/teammates, too) perception of RG3 being a diva.

2jg48k7.jpg

BOO-URNS!!!

Archived