Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The myth of the "4th Quarter comeback" QBs.

NoCalMike

I see this brought up all the time during NFL broadcasts and NFL shows in order to justify the "greatness" of certain QBs when needed.

The problem with this stat, IMO is that a "4th QTR comeback" is much TOO BIG of a collective to properly judge a QB by.

A 4th quarter comeback COULD MEAN, a game winning drive with :30 left on the clock.  A 4th quarter comeback COULD ALSO MEAN, a TD with half the quarter left and the other team just happens to never score again.

I am getting really tired of just about every game throwing up "this QB has had so and so many 4th quarter comebacks"  because they are not all an equal feat and for the most part, ignore the actual game situation under how the "comeback" happened.

I bet most of the QBs that we think are great (current & historical) lead the 4th quarter comeback stats.  If we're going to bash Romo sits to pee and others for failing in the 4th quarter, you have to give credit to those that can do it.  Romo sits to pee & Newton did great job with their end-of-game drives.

OT:  F the skins defensive line!  Gotta blitz on 4th & 10 to help them out.

I bet most of the QBs that we think are great (current & historical) lead the 4th quarter comeback stats.  If we're going to bash Romo sits to pee and others for failing in the 4th quarter, you have to give credit to those that can do it.  Romo sits to pee & Newton did great job with their end-of-game drives.

OT:  F the skins defensive line!  Gotta blitz on 4th & 10 to help them out.

Aaron Rodgers is one that disproves this.

Also, you have to look at the entire situation.

How about a QB who gets say 4 drives on offense in the 4th quarter, 2 of the drives the QB throws an INT, the third drive he overthrows on 3rd down, the 4th drive the offense gets a TD.

What THAT situation looks like to me is a team with a defense that continually gave the QB a chance to get points.

Also, it doesn't take into account the record of the team they are playing. If you are struggling to beat a bad team, and need a comeback to win, how is that good? It's not bad, but you shouldn't have been losing to that team in the first place. The clutch QB to me is one you can see with your eyes and you can see them do it over and over. You don't need stats to back it up, because you know when they get the ball in their hands late, they will win or at the very least give their team a chance to win. Other guys, if they have the ball late, everyone is just waiting for the bad to happen. And then there is everyone else who you know has no shot of doing anything unless defenders fall down and don't try.

Um, Matt Ryan doesn't kick FGs, brah. Lol There's no doubt you're a Panther fan!

Yep, I'm pretty familiar with who kicks the FGs for the Falcons.  Matt Bryant.  I've seen him bail Matty Ice out enough times and heard enough Falcon fans talk about all his 'comebacks' that I'll never forget the name.

Lemme' guess, you're a Matt Ryan fan too?

Several of Lucks 4th quarter comebacks came because he had multiple interceptions in the first 3 quarters. I agree, this is a bogus stat.

Only in 2 of his 7 credited 4QC games does he have multiple INTs. Overall he's had 15 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs, and 7 picks in the 10 credited games. Manning first 7 4QC: 10 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs, and 6 picks. Brady 1st 7: 7 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, and 4 picks.

For the record - top 5 all time - Manning, Marino, Elway, Montana, Brady. Clearly this is a completely useless stat that in no way correlates with QB play. That those 5 guys are all HOFers and that same group is typically discussed for GOAT is merely a coincidence I'm sure.

I don't think it's necessarily a myth althought I could understand some thinking it might be overrated.  However, those QBs that we think of as the greatest all-time, probably all are in the top 10-20 QBs for comeback wins.  An elite QB needs to be able to demonstrate the ability to put the team on his shoulders, late in the game, and score points with the pressure on.  To make a deep playoff run, most team's QBs have to be able to show they can step up and win a football game by leading a scoring drive under maximum mental/physical duress.  If they can't do it during the regular season, they most likely won't be able to do it in the playoffs either.  That's why that stat is important to me - it shows an ability to run the offense when you absolutely need it.

Aaron Rodgers is one that disproves this.

He's still young, and I think yesterday kind of proves the point.  When needed, he can do it. 

Only in 2 of his 7 credited 4QC games does he have multiple INTs. Overall he's had 15 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs, and 7 picks in the 10 credited games. Manning first 7 4QC: 10 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs, and 6 picks. Brady 1st 7: 7 passing TDs, 1 rushing TD, and 4 picks.

For the record - top 5 all time - Manning, Marino, Elway, Montana, Brady. Clearly this is a completely useless stat that in no way correlates with QB play. That those 5 guys are all HOFers and that same group is typically discussed for GOAT is merely a coincidence I'm sure.

I'd guess it correlates with the number of games finished.  Looking at games started (where good QBs normally finish the games they started), three of the guys on your list are top 5 for QB starts (the top 5 for QBs starting being Favre, Marino, Manning, Tarkenton, and Elway (and I wouldn't be surprised if your stats don't include players from Takenton's, which then would explain why he's on on one list and not the other)).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/gs_career.htm

(Montana doesn't seem to have made the list and Brady is 135 over all, but I didn't bother to count where he is in terms of QBs.)

Bad QBs don't get to finish a ton of games so they don't get a ton chances to have 4th quarter comebacks and so don't have many so in that sense, I suspect you are right, but I suspect if you looked at the two lists, you'd see the correlate pretty well.

Looking at a percentage with respect to games started/finished or even reasonable oppurtunites (down by 7 with less than 2 min. less) would probably be more interesting.

There is certainly a chicken or egg aspect to it. The game having changed probably also plays into guys like Luck having many already - seems to be a lot more scoring and come backs. Easier to have fourth qtr comebacks if the lead changes 3 times in fourth qtr. However, the main thing to me is that everyone would want the guy that comes through in the clutch. Isn't that what we think of with Elway, Montana, etc? "The drive", "the catch", etc. Clutchness is the "it" thing in sports right? It's easy to be a front runner. So, how do you consider it a worthless stat? Especially when arguably the 5 greatest QBs of all time are top 5 in that stat. I could understand trying to redefine the definition, but I strongly suspect this thread wouldn't be on a skins board if RGIII had the same number of comebacks as Wilson and Luck. And I'm pretty sure you won't find a similar thread on a Seahawks or Colts board.

For the record, I'm certainly not saying it's the most important stat. But I do think it tells us something about Luck and Wilson. However, I'm not suggesting It speaks negatively about RGIII. A really telling stat would be looking at 4th qtr scoring drives when trailing compared to the number of opportunities. Almost like an NBA shooting percentage.

Archived