Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The myth of the "4th Quarter comeback" QBs.

NoCalMike

Luck throws multiple picks all game and sets his team up to be in the hole. He then makes a comeback to clean up the mess he helped create. 

Well, there is that. But on the other hand, 28 points down in the 2nd half is still a big comeback. If he was only down 10 points after throwing 3 INTs, then you could throw that completely away. But 28, that's a huge hole to overcome. The biggest thing I took from that wasn't that Luck is or isn't clutch, but it's that he doesn't let mistakes faze him. How many times do we see a player or team let one mistake ruin their whole game? The kid doesn't care and that's probably what allows him to make comebacks. He doesn't care if it's his INTs, or Trent Richardson's fumbles, or the defense not stopping anyone. He's going to make his throws and get his team back in the game and in some cases win. That "I don't care what happened earlier in the game" is part of that "IT" we all talk about. We can never put our finger on it completely, but we can identify traits that make it up.

Time will tell if Luck is one of those guys you want to have the ball late, but he's off to a good start in that category. Even when it is his fault his team is down.

Well, there is that. But on the other hand, 28 points down in the 2nd half is still a big comeback. If he was only down 10 points after throwing 3 INTs, then you could throw that completely away. But 28, that's a huge hole to overcome. The biggest thing I took from that wasn't that Luck is or isn't clutch, but it's that he doesn't let mistakes faze him. How many times do we see a player or team let one mistake ruin their whole game? The kid doesn't care and that's probably what allows him to make comebacks. He doesn't care if it's his INTs, or Trent Richardson's fumbles, or the defense not stopping anyone. He's going to make his throws and get his team back in the game and in some cases win. That "I don't care what happened earlier in the game" is part of that "IT" we all talk about. We can never put our finger on it completely, but we can identify traits that make it up.

Time will tell if Luck is one of those guys you want to have the ball late, but he's off to a good start in that category. Even when it is his fault his team is down.

I agree with this, but I want to clarify one thing - the Colts were down big in that game (21 points) before luck ever threw an INT. That was with less than a minute to go before half. The idea I keep hearing that they were down big because of him is complexity inaccurate. The Colts D did not force a punt until midway through the 3rd qtr. Add that to TRich fumbling in Colts territory and you end up with a huge deficit. Lucks INTs made the comeback more difficult, be he was not the reason the comeback was necessary.

I agree with a lot of what you said and Im not trying to take too much away from Luck, but Ive seen at least a couple comeback games where he threw costly interceptions that helped put the other team ahead. One game I believe he threw 2 pick 6's. 

My reason for this thread initially was because anytime a team is down in the 4th quarter, the TV broadcast will splash "So and So has ### of 4th Qtr comebacks"   

It could be 1 minute into the 4th quarter, or the final drive of the game. They treat it like the same situation.  A QB could lead the team on a FG drive at the 14:00 mark, and their defense holds the other team pointless.  It will go down as a "4th QTR comeback"

My reason for this thread initially was because anytime a team is down in the 4th quarter, the TV broadcast will splash "So and So has ### of 4th Qtr comebacks"   

It could be 1 minute into the 4th quarter, or the final drive of the game. They treat it like the same situation.  A QB could lead the team on a FG drive at the 14:00 mark, and their defense holds the other team pointless.  It will go down as a "4th QTR comeback"

Most of the time its in reference to less than 4 minutes left and the offense needs to score to win.  Let's face it, there are certain QB's and teams that find themselves in close situations a lot, and some of them do a good job of winning games when those situations arise.  Some also get very lucky - people are singing the praises of Kaep, but he literally threw a pick on that final drive that was dropped, and if it was caught we'd be looking at him differently today.

I agree that not all comebacks are alike.  Some QB's will bring there team back against a bad team late in a game, or in a no pressure situation, or have a strong running game that puts them in FG position, etc.  But there are those QB's that make clutch plays at crucial points in the game to win them - no denying that Luck had many of those moments last week vs. the Cheifs.

NoCal, the stat is exactly what it states...comebacks in the 4th quarter that lead to wins. I don't ever see anyone trying to pretend it means any more or less than that. It's a metric in and of itself...how it's used is up to the person creating a case off of it.

They track EVERYTHING these days. I personally don't think it usually matters who scores first, but you occasionally see announcers flashing those stats too despite the fact that each team will possess the ball 8 more times and that 3-0 lead is likely insignificant.

Anyway, I'm sure someone could dig around and find a "game-winning drives in the final X minutes" stat that suited whatever point needed to be made.

Archived