Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russ Grimm for HC? (MET)

Canadianfanforlife

You are 100% INCORRECT!  Both are the last thing we need on this team.  It's time to quit recycling through coaches/players from the past and look to the future.  Just because they were great players doesn't mean they are worth a **** as a coach.  There is a reason why Grimm has never been a head coach.  And there is a reason Green has never been a coach.

Seriously, where do y'all come up with this ****?

Because we need a coach that bleeds burgandy and gold here.  Rather than retreads who have no connection to the Lombardis that Gibbs delivered.

Joe Gibbs started as an offensive line coach.  So two of the greatest coaches in NFL history were o-line coaches. 

I don't think thats what he was asking Dan.  I think he meant to ask "How many o-line coaches have made the transition straight from being an o-line coach to a head coach?"  Meaning, no other experience as a signal caller, etc.  

I have a feeling Russ Grimm would be a good NFL head coach.  I'm not certain of that, and I don't think he is the magical answer to the problems of the franchise.  I don't think there's anybody outside of Braun92 who thinks that.

I am just fascinated by the kneejerk rejection of him as a possibility.  It's weird.

He was assistant head coach for the Cardinals through the 2012 season. So he hasn't been away from the game for all that long...

Assistant Head coach in title, he did not call any plays and continued to manage the o-line.  Hardly qualifies him.

Because we need a coach that bleeds burgandy and gold here.  Rather than retreads who have no connection to the Lombardis that Gibbs delivered.

Who gives a crap if our head coaches have no ties to our Super Bowls that Joe Gibbs won us?  You have got to be trolling hard, cause this is the worst reason ever to hire our head coach.

Ties to SB's won over twenty years ago.......I've heard it all now.  

More than those suggesting Grimm as a possibilty, I'm curious why so many are rejecting him out of hand.  He's been in NFL coaching for 20 years now in various positions.  He was on the short list for head coach of the Steelers and Bears, a couple of well run, storied NFL franchises. Ex-quarterback, ex-center, by all accounts a student of the game.

Is there some nostalgia at play with the notion of him coming to the Redskins?  Sure.  But it's not like he's only been hanging around bars reliving his glory days as a Hog.  He's spent two decades toiling away in his second career as an NFL football coach.

So tell me, why all the seemingly knee-jerk "hell no" reactions? 

Starting with the fact that he has never healed a position higher than OL coach... I'd like to have someone we at least know will be able to run a dynamic offense. And I can't help but wonder why he keeps getting passed up for that HC position.

Then again, I have my doubt's that given our history under Snyder and this current fiasco, I have my doubts we will attract many quality candidates.

don't care he'd out coach most coaches today. we aren't talking cars we are talking men and for example I'd rather have some founding fathers back in the white house vs the crap weve had recently.

Please leave your ideological crap out of the forum. 

mad mike are you suggesting that our founding fathers arent as good as our current elected officials or that Lombardi isn't as good as modern coaches? that's the only ideology I have espoused. I used an example of the factual low popularity of the last two presidents, across party lines, to showcase that overall people are not better now than they were "300 years ago."

and grimm was an assistant head coach. that's higher than an ol coach.

You know, from a nostalgic standpoint it's a nice to think Russ Grimm could coach the team and take it back to respectability.  But, again,.....until a real honest to goodness GM is hired the same painful, embarrassing and disaster filled cycle will continue to repeat itself.

I never understood the idea that we need to hire a "Real Redskin".  As if a former player would try harder or somehow magically transform these players into what he was.  Russ Grimm is an excellent asssistent.  However as menitoned he has been up for a number of head coaching jobs and has not gotten any of them.  Is he bad in interviews?  Who knows.  But agian the fact that he once was a great player here means nothing with regard to his potential as a head coach. 

More than those suggesting Grimm as a possibilty, I'm curious why so many are rejecting him out of hand. He's been in NFL coaching for 20 years now in various positions. He was on the short list for head coach of the Steelers and Bears, a couple of well run, storied NFL franchises. Ex-quarterback, ex-center, by all accounts a student of the game.

Is there some nostalgia at play with the notion of him coming to the Redskins? Sure. But it's not like he's only been hanging around bars reliving his glory days as a Hog. He's spent two decades toiling away in his second career as an NFL football coach.

So tell me, why all the seemingly knee-jerk "hell no" reactions?

I think it comes down to the fact that it's been about 4 or 5 years since Grimm has even been mentioned as a coaching candidate and even when he was a "hot commidity" as others have said, he never even got a job. If Grimm was still considered one of the top coaches at his position and they had legitimate reasons as to why he would be a good fit here, I'd listen. But you know that in every thread that talks about prospective head coaches for this team, fans have to bring up someone from the "glory days," not because they are qualified, but because of their name and fame with the team more than 25 years ago.

People bring up Monk, Green or Riggins and none of them have ever coached in the NFL nor do I think they even have the desire. What fans have to realize is, not all players yearn to stay in touch with the game. It was a "part" of their life and now they have moved on to other phases in their lives that doesn't involve football. I mean, I love the fact that I was a witness live to all 3 SBs, but the fact is, that was a LONG time ago. I was happy that Gibbs came back a 2nd time, but he really did it out of the goodness of his heart and really had no business coming back. You could tell his drive wasn't there the 2nd time, but he gave it his all.

I really don't think there is one player from the SB era that is coaching right now that could be considered head coaching material. Probably the closest is Todd Bowles and he's barely been a defensive coordinator. I just want everyone to stop hanging on to the past. It would be like Packers fans yearing for the Lombardi days or Steeler fans yearning for the Noll days. Like I said in my other post, I want this team to write a new chapter and a new history.

I think it comes down to the fact that it's been about 4 or 5 years since Grimm has even been mentioned as a coaching candidate and even when he was a "hot commidity" as others have said, he never even got a job. If Grimm was still considered one of the top coaches at his position and they had legitimate reasons as to why he would be a good fit here, I'd listen. But you know that in every thread that talks about prospective head coaches for this team, fans have to bring up someone from the "glory days," not because they are qualified, but because of their name and fame with the team more than 25 years ago.

People bring up Monk, Green or Riggins and none of them have ever coached in the NFL nor do I think they even have the desire. What fans have to realize is, not all players yearn to stay in touch with the game. It was a "part" of their life and now they have moved on to other phases in their lives that doesn't involve football. I mean, I love the fact that I was a witness live to all 3 SBs, but the fact is, that was a LONG time ago. I was happy that Gibbs came back a 2nd time, but he really did it out of the goodness of his heart and really had no business coming back. You could tell his drive wasn't there the 2nd time, but he gave it his all.

I really don't think there is one player from the SB era that is coaching right now that could be considered head coaching material. Probably the closest is Todd Bowles and he's barely been a defensive coordinator. I just want everyone to stop hanging on to the past. It would be like Packers fans yearing for the Lombardi days or Steeler fans yearning for the Noll days. Like I said in my other post, I want this team to write a new chapter and a new history.

I agree with you about every player except Russ Grimm.  It's dumb to suggest that Darrell Green come in and coach defensive backs.  He has never expressed an interest in coaching that I know of, he hasn't coached, and when he played he relied more on his extraordinary physical gifts more than proper technique anyway.  I haven't seen anyone seriously suggest Monk or Riggins as coaches, other than in snarky comments lumping them in with Grimm as stupid ideas. 

It's dumb and unfair to lump Grimm in with all those guys. As I've mentioned several times, he's been working in the coaching profession for 20 years now, and was an assistant head coach in 2012.  He's been an assistant head coach for two franchises.  He was a head coaching candidate finalist twice.  You seem to think that's a negative.  With 32 NFL coaching jobs in the entire world, I don't think being a runner-up twice is a negative. 

Someone mentioned that Grimm has hinted that he might not want to coach any more.  That's a better reason to not want him than the fact that he played here 30 years ago.  Or make the case that his offensive philosophy wouldn't work here with RG3. That's a better argument than saying he's only been a position coach, which is untrue. 

It's weird this reverse bias.  The fact that he was here in the past is causing people to reject him out of hand.  You can consider Grimm without ascribing to the romantic notion of Putting the Band Back Together.  That's a dumb idea.  Considering Grimm - if he's still interested in coaching - isn't.

I agree with you about every player except Russ Grimm.  It's dumb to suggest that Darrell Green come in and coach defensive backs.  He has never expressed an interest in coaching that I know of, he hasn't coached, and when he played he relied more on his extraordinary physical gifts more than proper technique anyway.  I haven't seen anyone seriously suggest Monk or Riggins as coaches, other than in snarky comments lumping them in with Grimm as stupid ideas. 

It's dumb and unfair to lump Grimm in with all those guys. As I've mentioned several times, he's been working in the coaching profession for 20 years now, and was an assistant head coach in 2012.  He's been an assistant head coach for two franchises.  He was a head coaching candidate finalist twice.  You seem to think that's a negative.  With 32 NFL coaching jobs in the entire world, I don't think being a runner-up twice is a negative. 

Someone mentioned that Grimm has hinted that he might not want to coach any more.  That's a better reason to not want him than the fact that he played here 30 years ago.  Or make the case that his offensive philosophy wouldn't work here with RG3. That's a better argument than saying he's only been a position coach, which is untrue. 

It's weird this reverse bias.  The fact that he was here in the past is causing people to reject him out of hand.  You can consider Grimm without ascribing to the romantic notion of Putting the Band Back Together.  That's a dumb idea.  Considering Grimm - if he's still interested in coaching - isn't.

Well, I do see your point that up until this year, he was an actual NFL Assistant Head Coach for 20 years.  If the people who wanted him as our next head coach would point out the reasons why that would include his resume, I'd listen.  I said that in my other post.  Be you and I know, the only reason his name is usually brought up in here is because of the glory days.  I have heard Monk, Riggins et al thown about in jest and seroiusly as position coaches.

I also will say that yes, my reasons for not wanting him as our next head coach is not because I feel some in the fanbase want a former Hog, but like you said, he truely would not be a good fit for what we run.  The systems he's worked in in Pittsburgh and then Arizona are completely different then what we have here and the personel would not fit his style. 

For the record, I (me personally) never dismissed him as a head coach because he was only a position coach.  I was more or less rejecting the people who wanted him because as you say, "putting the old band back together."  That was a good analogy by the way.

Archived