Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russ Grimm for HC? (MET)

Canadianfanforlife

Zorn was promoted because Danny could not find anyone else to take the job - which is maybe the most incredible thing to ever happen in the NFL and has been largely forgotten. And it was a disastrous mistake.

LOL well he might be the only offensive coordinator I know hired BEFORE selecting a head coach.  :D   How would you like to tell someone like Bill Parcells, hey we want you on as head coach and we already have your OC.

Might be one of the dumbest moves in coaching history B)

Edit - Now that was a frat boy move so maybe Grimm would work ;)

A possible reason Grimm hasn't been a head coach yet ... head coaches need to be salesmen to a degree. Selling themselves.  They need to be glib.  My sense with Grimm is that he's not one who gets into the bull****ting.  He's terse, blunt, and direct.  That doesn't always go over great in the interview process.  

He also knows football inside and out. He was a quarterback in high school, ran the Hogs from the line of scrimmage, and was a pretty good position coach.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was up to the task.

My sense with Grimm - and maybe a reason he hasn't been a head coach yet - is that head coaches need to be salesman to a degree. Selling themselves.  They need to be glib.  My sense with Grimm is that he's not one who gets into the bull****ting.  He's terse, blunt, and direct.  That doesn't always go over great in interviews.  

He was also a quarterback in high school, ran the Hogs from the line of scrimmage, and was a pretty good position coach.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was up to the task.

I suspect he could be as good as Spurrier, Zorn, and Shanny ;)

If he wasn't a HOF' er for the Skins, would you still want him?

If he hasn't gotten a shot at a HC position yet (and his name was been going around since I was in HS) then maybe he isn't cut out for it.

Well, the urban legend is he got the Steelers job but Tags or was it Goodelll reminded the Steelers of the Rooney rule; so  then hired Mike Tomlin.  

Hiring Grimm for head coach is a really dumb idea. As has been pointed out, there's a reason the guy has never been hired, despite all the interviews. Being a HOFer doesn't make you head coaching material. There are numerous examples of this in sports. Just look at Jordan. The greatest player of all time, but totally clueless as a GM. And he would have been an even worse head coach.

^^^ Michael Jordan is my favorite athlete but the thought of him coaching someone is terrifying lol

Elite players very rarely work out as coaches IMO because they had so much talent themselves that they could get away with more on the field/court/ice without relying to heavily on strategy/ planning etc. Marginal guys usually have that stuff down in a better way, which makes them better coaches usually because they can relate more to a team that is usually comprised of maybe just one elite-level talent

He was an integral part of 'th' Hogs' and the Redskins fans hearts in general.

But that's where it ends. I would hate to see this fanbase turn on him if things didn't work out, but you know good and well it'll happen.

Now, hiring him as an assistant or to coach the line, sure why not; let him work on one particular aspect, but to give him the keys to the car of this team would absolutely ruin his image with the Redskins, and its not fair to him at all.

This always reminds me of Bart Starr as the HC for GB... 8 years with only 3 winning seasons. Of course we've had Pardee (2 out of 3 winning seasons) and Petitbon (1 out 1 losing season). What I really want is for Snyder to hire a real GM and have the GM pick a HC. If the GM picked Grimm... then OK.

Hail Canada!! Good to see you in here!  I like Grimm,but the one thing the worries me is I don;t think he has ever even been a coordinator. I know he had the Assistant HC title but he was still just a position coach.

I have to agree with bleedbng. The only way to make this right is to hire a good GM and let them hire a HC. Snyder keeps thinking like us fans and thinking HCs, just like Jerry Jones. Until he hires a real GM and let them hire his own HC and then stay completely out of the way of the football decisions, we will continue to be a bad football team.

Here is a short list of potential GMs not in any particular order:

Eric Decosta - director of player personnel Packers - He has learned under Ozzie Newsome who is arguably one of th best GMs in football. He seems to always keep the Ravens competitive. Also, he would not have to move from Baltimore as what seems to be a big part of his decision to not leave the Ravens. He doesn't want to uproot his family. Don't underestimate this.

Russ Ball - VP of Football administration/player finance Green Bay - You can;t argue the success of Green Bay over the last several decades. They have been relevant for quiet some time. They even managed to survive the transition from the 4-3 to 3-4.

Nick Caserio - Director of Player Personnel NE Patriots - Can't stand the belicheats but you can't deny they seem to always be able to reload. That's not all belicheat. Like Decosta he is young and will be aggressive.

I am sure there are many other candidates but that's my short list.

Zorn was promoted because Danny could not find anyone else to take the job - which is maybe the most incredible thing to ever happen in the NFL and has been largely forgotten. And it was a disastrous mistake.

I think he couldn't find anyone to take the job because he essentially had an OC, DC, and STC in place before hiring a head coach. A head coach wants the opportunity to bring in his own guys.

^^^ Michael Jordan is my favorite athlete but the thought of him coaching someone is terrifying lol

Elite players very rarely work out as coaches IMO because they had so much talent themselves that they could get away with more on the field/court/ice without relying to heavily on strategy/ planning etc. Marginal guys usually have that stuff down in a better way, which makes them better coaches usually because they can relate more to a team that is usually comprised of maybe just one elite-level talent

Grimm was not a prima-donna elite talent.  He and the rest of the OL were no-names coming out of college with the exception of Mark May, who was arguably the weakest of them.

He EARNED everything he got through BLOOD, SWEAT, and TEARS both during off-season workouts.  

Bugel trained them how to PUNISH opposing defensive lines and FIGHT for the line of scrimmage.

We desperately need this kind of attitude back.  We cannot allow Harjo's curse to dominate us forever.

Hiring Grimm for head coach is a really dumb idea. As has been pointed out, there's a reason the guy has never been hired, despite all the interviews. Being a HOFer doesn't make you head coaching material. There are numerous examples of this in sports. Just look at Jordan. The greatest player of all time, but totally clueless as a GM. And he would have been an even worse head coach.

I think it's hilarious that you would compare Russ Grimm to Michael Jordan in terms of temperament as a coach.  I couldn't think of a less apt comparison.

You want a Bulls ex-player and coach to compare to Grimm? Try Jerry Sloan.  That's less laughable.

Grimm was not a prima-donna elite talent.  He and the rest of the OL were no-names coming out of college with the exception of Mark May, who was arguably the weakest of them.

He EARNED everything he got through BLOOD, SWEAT, and TEARS both during off-season workouts.  

Bugel trained them how to PUNISH opposing defensive lines and FIGHT for the line of scrimmage.

We desperately need this kind of attitude back.  We cannot allow Harjo's curse to dominate us forever.

Settle down, Pepper.

For all you Grimm lovers, what in the ****ing blue hell qualifies him to be our next head coach?  Please, give me one "football related" answer.  Why oh why do our fans want to constantly live in the past?  Do you want him to come in and run 70 chip and 50 gut all day?  This is such a worn out request by our fans. 

I loved that we won 3 SBs, I love that I witnessed them and I love to go back and watch the SB game DVDs and the America's game series, but that's where it ends for me.  We need to move forward and not backwards.  This obsession with Russ Grimm baffles me.  Other than being a good Line Coach with the Steelers and Cards, he doesn't have anything in his resume that screams, "hire me" for the head coaching position.

Please, stop living in the past and give some suggestions for coaches that are actually coaching in the NFL right now.  Gibbs, the Hogs and the Fun Bunch are gone.  Time to make some new history for this team. 

For all you Grimm lovers, what in the ****ing blue hell qualifies him to be our next head coach?  Please, give me one "football related" answer.  Why oh why do our fans want to constantly live in the past?  Do you want him to come in and run 70 chip and 50 gut all day?  This is such a worn out request by our fans. 

I loved that we won 3 SBs, I love that I witnessed them and I love to go back and watch the SB game DVDs and the America's game series, but that's where it ends for me.  We need to move forward and not backwards.  This obsession with Russ Grimm baffles me.  Other than being a good Line Coach with the Steelers and Cards, he doesn't have anything in his resume that screams, "hire me" for the head coaching position.

Please, stop living in the past and give some suggestions for coaches that are actually coaching in the NFL right now.  Gibbs, the Hogs and the Fun Bunch are gone.  Time to make some new history for this team. 

Um, I guess its a bad time to request 'sprint bomb' along with the other calls, eh PJ?  JUST KIDDING, stop running towards the window in that 75 story skyscraper, things will be alright.

Some of the best coaches who were players, were actually marginally to totally crappy players on their team,  but evidently, while they were being driven under the turf, they were thinking of plays that would keep them out of that situation.  Its very very rare to get a good coach who was a good player, and every time there's a need for a positions coach/coordinator/assistant, ex player's names are tossed up first.

Just because the guy may have been a good player doesn't mean he will be equally as good as a coach, it only means that he was in a system thought up by others, and he actually listened.

More than those suggesting Grimm as a possibilty, I'm curious why so many are rejecting him out of hand.  He's been in NFL coaching for 20 years now in various positions.  He was on the short list for head coach of the Steelers and Bears, a couple of well run, storied NFL franchises. Ex-quarterback, ex-center, by all accounts a student of the game.

Is there some nostalgia at play with the notion of him coming to the Redskins?  Sure.  But it's not like he's only been hanging around bars reliving his glory days as a Hog.  He's spent two decades toiling away in his second career as an NFL football coach.

So tell me, why all the seemingly knee-jerk "hell no" reactions? 

He was a hot commodity years ago right? Haven't heard jack squat about him since the last time the Skins needed a coach.

I just want somebody that is salivating to coach an offense run by RG3. I want somebody to turn them into the greatest offense the league has ever seen.

Grimm is an o-line coach, I mean how many o-line coaches transition into HC success?

He was a hot commodity years ago right? Haven't heard jack squat about him since the last time the Skins needed a coach.

I just want somebody that is salivating to coach an offense run by RG3. I want somebody to turn them into the greatest offense the league has ever seen.

Grimm is an o-line coach, I mean how many o-line coaches transition into HC success?

Vince Lombardi was an offensive line coach.  Just sayin'. 

Archived