Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russ Grimm for HC? (MET)

Canadianfanforlife

If he wasn't a HOF' er for the Skins, would you still want him?

If he hasn't gotten a shot at a HC position yet (and his name was been going around since I was in HS) then maybe he isn't cut out for it.

Exactly.  No offense to the OP, but people are so head-over-heels homer that they think any returning Redskin will magically fix everything.  It's like those that still cry for wanting Joe Gibbs back AGAIN.   :unsure:

Exactly.  No offense to the OP, but people are so head-over-heels homer that they think any returning Redskin will magically fix everything.  It's like those that still cry for wanting Joe Gibbs back AGAIN.   :unsure:

I have a feeling Russ Grimm would be a good NFL head coach.  I'm not certain of that, and I don't think he is the magical answer to the problems of the franchise.  I don't think there's anybody outside of Braun92 who thinks that.

I am just fascinated by the kneejerk rejection of him as a possibility.  It's weird.

Grimm is currently not a coach of any kind.

Has any coach with no coordinator or head coaching experience ever been out of football and then been given a head coaching job?

He was assistant head coach for the Cardinals through the 2012 season. So he hasn't been away from the game for all that long...

He was assistant head coach for the Cardinals through the 2012 season. So he hasn't been away from the game for all that long...

I never said that. Just pointing out that he has only ever been a position coach and is not currently even that.

His last job was being a position coach on a bad team and got fired for it.

That means we should bring him in here to restore glory?

I never said that. Just pointing out that he has only ever been a position coach and is not currently even that.

His last job was being a position coach on a bad team and got fired for it.

That means we should bring him in here to restore glory?

Yes. Yes it does.  That is exactly what it means.

No.

What is this franchise's obsession with guys from the glory years?

Because those few glory years are all the fanbase has to grasp on to.  If the Skins had been much more than marginally successful over the last 23 years, the obsession with Redskin heroes returning to the organization wouldn't be there. 

I am just fascinated by the kneejerk rejection of him as a possibility.  It's weird.

I have a knee jerk response to solutions that involve going back to 1985.

Russ Grimm was only ever seriously considered for one job - by the team that knew him best. He's never been a coordinator. He's not currently coaching. Let's give him the keys to the kingdom.

Darrel Green is an arrogant, prickly SOB who has never coached anyone at any level. Let's make him the defensive backs coach.

Mark Mosely? Special teams coach.

Mark Rypien? Offensive coordinator.

Dexter Manley? Copy editor of the website.

Here is a short list of potential GMs not in any particular order:

Eric Decosta - director of player personnel Packers - He has learned under Ozzie Newsome who is arguably one of th best GMs in football. He seems to always keep the Ravens competitive. Also, he would not have to move from Baltimore as what seems to be a big part of his decision to not leave the Ravens. He doesn't want to uproot his family. Don't underestimate this.

He was my first choice, but unfortunately the Ravens have already taken care that he takes over when Ozzie steps down. 

Green is a true Christian and role model - much like Joe Gibbs.

Keep that **** in the Tailgate. Nobody cares about his religion in here. He is still by every account I've heard, even when he is at church, an arrogant SOB that doesn't like the fans.

If the OC calls the plays, the DC calls the defense, the GM and scouting dept. draft rooks and sign FAs, what does the head coach do besides be the face of the coaching staff and ride herd over it, determine 4th down stuff, and motivate the team?

A LOT.

If the OC calls the plays, the DC calls the defense, the GM and scouting dept. draft rooks and sign FAs, what does the head coach do besides be the face of the coaching staff and ride herd over it, determine 4th down stuff, and motivate the team?

Mainly ensuring that all the other coaches don't suck, whcih is pretty damned time consuming especially for this team.

I have a knee jerk response to solutions that involve going back to 1985.

Russ Grimm was only ever seriously considered for one job - by the team that knew him best. He's never been a coordinator. He's not currently coaching. Let's give him the keys to the kingdom.

Darrel Green is an arrogant, prickly SOB who has never coached anyone at any level. Let's make him the defensive backs coach.

Mark Mosely? Special teams coach.

Mark Rypien? Offensive coordinator.

Dexter Manley? Copy editor of the website.

C'mon LKB.  

You're discounting the 20 years he's put in as an NFL coach.  He served as assistant head coach for two NFL franchises, including a Super Bowl winner.   I don't know what an assistant head coach does, but I assume there is some level of coaching respect that comes with that title.  Those teams didn't give him that title because they gave a **** about his past as a Washington Redskin player.

His resume as a long time assistant stands on its own.  Is he the right guy?  I don't know. And I don't know how I've become Russ Grimm's publicist in this thread, other than to refute the people who would suggest his potential candidacy is idiotic.

I think it's hilarious that you would compare Russ Grimm to Michael Jordan in terms of temperament as a coach. I couldn't think of a less apt comparison.

You want a Bulls ex-player and coach to compare to Grimm? Try Jerry Sloan. That's less laughable.

That totally went over your head.

I was saying that HOF players don't generally make good coaches. Overreact much?

That totally went over your head.

I was saying that HOF players don't generally make good coaches. Overreact much?

And I gave you an example of a great player who did make a good coach, in the sport you chose.  And I could give you plenty more.  You shot yourself in the foot by using Michael Jordan to support your argument. 

And I gave you an example of a great player who did make a good coach, in the sport you chose.  And I could give you plenty more.  You shot yourself in the foot by using Michael Jordan to support your argument. 

Larry Bird is another example in your favor.  Not that there aren't plenty both ways.

Mike Singletary is a good coach, just probably not a good head coach, at least not the first time round. Unfortunately for him, it's likely that ship has sailed on getting another chance.

That's a good question & the answer is.....I don't know.

You're right, maybe he isn't cut out for it, but nobody will know until he's given the chance. People probably said the same thing about a little known offensive backfield coach for the Cardinals back in the mid 70's that went by the name of Joe Gibbs.

HTTR!!!

We need to quit living in the past and look towards the future.  Russ Grimm is not the answer. He isn't even coaching at all now and has never called plays in his entire career.  Plus he had said earlier this year that he is enjoying the time off from football and contemplating retirement all together. 

This is not the person we want taking over this Titanic of a team.  It will already be overwhelming to anyone we do hire (or retain should Mike stay), the last person I want is a lifer O-line coach, out of football this year, contemplating retirement.  

Hell, why don't we offer the job to Joe Bugel then?  At least he has head coaching experience.  (Kidding of course)

Russ Grimm and Darrell Green are EXACTLY what this franchise need on its coaching staff.

Peoiple who are willing to punch those MOTHER****ERS in the mouth on each and every play and have NO MERCY when they bleed.

You are 100% INCORRECT!  Both are the last thing we need on this team.  It's time to quit recycling through coaches/players from the past and look to the future.  Just because they were great players doesn't mean they are worth a **** as a coach.  There is a reason why Grimm has never been a head coach.  And there is a reason Green has never been a coach.

Seriously, where do y'all come up with this ****?

How can the players and coaching staff respect the head coach if he can't perform those other job functions if needed (at least on one side of the ball for the coaching part).  The head coach has to be involved in ALL aspects of the game and preparation.  

How would you feel if at your job, your boss didn't know anything except task A, was getting paid a **** ton of money.  Delegated out every single responsibility, not having a damn bit of sense or working knowledge/experience than you or your fellow co-workers except task A?  Whats the point of even having a head coach if they don't do anything?  

This isn't college football here where old school coaches like Jo Pa and Bobby Bowden just have a head-set and watch the game from the sidelines while the next coaches in waiting do all the work.  This is the mother ****ing NFL.

More than those suggesting Grimm as a possibilty, I'm curious why so many are rejecting him out of hand.  He's been in NFL coaching for 20 years now in various positions.  He was on the short list for head coach of the Steelers and Bears, a couple of well run, storied NFL franchises. Ex-quarterback, ex-center, by all accounts a student of the game.

Is there some nostalgia at play with the notion of him coming to the Redskins?  Sure.  But it's not like he's only been hanging around bars reliving his glory days as a Hog.  He's spent two decades toiling away in his second career as an NFL football coach.

So tell me, why all the seemingly knee-jerk "hell no" reactions? 

Various positions?  He was a TE coach and O-line coach his entire career.  He has never called plays on offense nor has he been a coordinator.  How does 17 years of teaching big boys how to block translate into being a head coach?

Archived