Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com- Dan Graziano: Owner-QB link disillusioned coach

DJD2

This is a damning article if true. Considering it was written by Graziano, who I have always found to be very fair in his reporting, leads me to believe these events have occurred.

I have been strongly leaning towards bringing Shanahan back for year 5 but I just don't see how that is possible now.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10101919/mike-shanahan-was-ready-quit-washington-redskins-2012-season

Graziano just posted this : http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10101919/mike-shanahan-was-ready-quit-washington-redskins-2012-season

As speculation mounts about Mike Shanahan's future in Washington, details have emerged about the coach's dissatisfaction with the relationship between owner Dan Snyder and quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Disillusioned with the way Snyder was running the organization, Shanahan cleaned out his office in advance of January's wild-card playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks and expected to leave the team whenever the season ended, according to a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

[+] Enlargenfl_g_rgiii_300x200.jpg
Jonathan Newton/Getty ImagesMike Shanahan grew disillusioned at the special treatment Robert Griffin III received from owner Dan Snyder and had planned to resign after last season before the quarterback hurt his knee in the playoffs, a source said.

The source said Shanahan had grown tired of the way Snyder empowered Griffin and openly esteemed him above all other players. Shanahan didn't blame Griffin but did blame Snyder for creating an atmosphere that Shanahan did not believe was conducive to winning. Shanahan privately told people close to him that he felt Snyder's behavior with regard to Griffin was a "complete farce."

In spite of that, Shanahan believed he would be leaving the team on a very positive note, as the Redskins had won the NFC East in his third year as their coach and were preparing for a playoff run. He believed the team had come together and shown strong character during the seven-game winning streak on which it ended the regular season.

More at link.

Wow! How's that for a bombshell from a respected writer. Shanahan ready to walk and cleaned out his office in advance of the Seahawks game down to being disillusioned by the owner/ QB relationship.

Make of that what you will but it add more fuel to the fire that this situation is totally unworkable and he could well be on his way.

Hail. 

Not saying I believe the story or not, but if true, I agree with his attitude towards Snyder and how he dealt with Griffin.  Unfortunately, it does not stop at Snyder, though.  The press fawned over him as much as the fans did.  And people wonder why the offense doesn't rush to scoop him off the ground when he gets hit.

Maybe a bad year for Griffin will ultimately turn into a good year for the team as a whole,.  It would be nice if the spotlight was removed from him. although he continues to get a lot of press.

Snyder isn't calling the inconsistent incomprehensible plays, Snyder isn't using insane clock management, Snyder isn't playing soft zone and getting shredded underneath time and time again without making adjustments, Snyder didn't draft one of the smallest teams in the NFL.

So he likes Griffin?  Who cares.  Shanny needs to go along with the rest of the coaches because they suck.

Exactly what I read into it bud. Shanahan knows the end is nigh and he's turning attention away from himself. 

Man what a freaking soap-opera this organization is. 

Hail. 

The thing is GHH, I believe every word of this report.

No doubt Snyder plays favorites with RG3. No doubt that Dan Snyder gives special treatment.

If this continues, we might as well pack it in while Robert is around. 

I hate Snyder so effing much.  He's the only common thread throughout this tenure of failure.

I wish we could fire him.

Agree completely.  Dan Snyder is the biggest reason for failure with this franchise.  Whenever this team gets going, you should always expect him to **** things up.  

Anybody that is shocked by what Adam and Chris just reported has not been paying attention.  This is the MO of this jock-sniffing, star****ing hack of an owner.

Snyder isn't calling the inconsistent incomprehensible plays, Snyder isn't using insane clock management, Snyder isn't playing soft zone and getting shredded underneath time and time again without making adjustments, Snyder didn't draft one of the smallest teams in the NFL.

So he likes Griffin?  Who cares.  Shanny needs to go along with the rest of the coaches because they suck.

If it's true that the owner, who should be seen and not heard by the players is showing that much partiality to Griffin over other players, I care.

That's an easy way to lose a locker room both for the coach and for the QB.  Nobody likes the teacher's pet.

Well, the good news is if this report has some truth to it, Shanahan is gone.  His whole staff deserves to be fired. Unfortunately, poor Snyder is an easy target and is going to get the blamed and demonized for all this, even though Snyder pretty much let Shanahan control the whole franchise. 

Archived