Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does DMX rank among the hip hop greats?

Big Weirdo

Its a mixture of a tough crowd here and people who smoked more than DMX to not consider the man top 30 hell some said not even top 50 WTF.

I keep hearing how he dropped off after the 3rd album **** Biggie had 2 good albums (yes life was cut short), and NAS other than Illmattic the rest of his **** was very lacking for awhile. Ememim had 2 great albums Slim Shady and Marshall LP then his **** went down hard so is he not in the top 30?

There was NOONE and I mean NO ONE that brought the passion that DMX did when he was on top, Its Dark and Hell is Hot is CRAZY! Flesh of my Flesh Blood of my blood was HOT! Then there was X was good and The Great Depression was also good, everything after that I agree the drugs knocked him right off the map but don't discredit the mans work, your talking about 7 years of being the top MC.

I am by no way saying he is better than Biggie cause he is NOT or even Em I was just using them to the only had 3 good album claim most everyone replyed with to knock the man down. DMX is a top 10 MC imo and shouldn't make it out the top 20 from most peoples list. When he put on a show the man gave it everything he had, the guy lived the life pretty much he rapped about his entire career.

It'd be extremely hard to put DMX in the top 10.  Damn near impossible. 

Sicksoulja I'm guessing you don't know much about hip hop.  DMX was a good mainstream rapper who spit with vigor and passion, but his topic matter rarely varied and his production was hit or miss.  Then he started smoking crack and fell the **** off.

Black Thought, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, KRS One, Kool G Rap, Pharoahe Monch, Ghostface Killah, Common, GZA, Aceyalone, MF Doom....that's 10 MCs better than him without even thinking.  I could name 50 other MCs EASILY that outshine DMX in every aspect of rapping.  

Haha. Not even close to the top ten. There is no way he is top ten. That's just crazy talk. Same reason Busta Rhymes fell off, he was just as passionate and possibly a better overall rapper...but not close to top ten.

When every song sounds the same...it get's lame and tired quickly.

Kool Moe Dee is easily higher on the list than DMX.

Sicksoulja I'm guessing you don't know much about hip hop.  DMX was a good mainstream rapper who spit with vigor and passion, but his topic matter rarely varied and his production was hit or miss.  Then he started smoking crack and fell the **** off.

Black Thought, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, KRS One, Kool G Rap, Pharoahe Monch, Ghostface Killah, Common, GZA, Aceyalone, MF Doom....that's 10 MCs better than him without even thinking.  I could name 50 other MCs EASILY that outshine DMX in every aspect of rapping.  

Raekwon, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Q-Tip, The D.O.C., Nas, Eminem, B.I.G., Guru...etc. etc. 

Kanye West is wack and always has been wack.  He's made some good beats, even great beats, here and there, but for the most part he makes ****ty pop beats imo.  And he has never been even an average rapper.  Ever.

Disagree, Kanye is a great rapper, he hasnt really dropped a bad album, he gets a lot of flack nowadays because he is in the media a lot, and his antics, and the fact that he is an asshole.  But as a rapper he is great, his first album is a hip hop classic

Disagree, Kanye is a great rapper, he hasnt really dropped a bad album, he gets a lot of flack nowadays because he is in the media a lot, and his antics, and the fact that he is an asshole.  But as a rapper he is great, his first album is a hip hop classic

He's a horrible rapper with a wack flow and annoying voice.  He's a good producer.  To each his own.

I will say this about Eminem, he fell off after The Eminem Show. Hard.

He's probably top 3 all time for me but Encore, Curtain Call, Relapse and to a lesser extent Recovery were not very good albums for Eminem's standards. Marshall Mathers 2 is pretty damn good though and I'm happy about that.

I hear ya. I guess I like Recovery a lot more than most but I think it's fantastic. He completely reinvented himself going from the content of his earlier albums to Recovery plus added more of a rock sound to his beats. It was a fresh new sound and lyrically still very high quality.

Encore wasn't on par and Relapse was a disappointment but given what he was going through in his life then it was understandable. MMLP2 though has been very good from what I've been able to listen to outside of Bizerk that is.  

He's a horrible rapper with a wack flow and annoying voice.  He's a good producer.  To each his own.

He's a lyrical mother****ing genius!

sp_1305_07.jpg

I do like Kanye a lot though...

I hear ya. I guess I like Recovery a lot more than most but I think it's fantastic. He completely reinvented himself going from the content of his earlier albums to Recovery plus added more of a rock sound to his beats. It was a fresh new sound and lyrically still very high quality.

Encore wasn't on par and Relapse was a disappointment but given what he was going through in his life then it was understandable. MMLP2 though has been very good from what I've been able to listen to outside of Bizerk that is.

Recovery was probably his 4th best album to that point.

I'd go..

MMLP

SSLP

Eminem Show

Recovery

Encore

Relapse

Encore and Relapse were just awful. Curtain Call was mostly greatest hits, right?

I think when the dust settles we will put MMLP2 somewhere around Eminem Show, probably slightly below.

I don't think that is what people think of when the question is asked though. For my money, DMX had a solid early run but not enough meaningful lasting impact or truly "great" albums to put him anywhere in the discussion really.

This. He's OK, not bad, but not one of the greats either. For me a lot of what makes rap an incredible art form is the lyricism and the often brilliant turns of phrase employed. I love his voice, intensity and delivery but he just didn't have the longevity or quality of lyrics to be considered with the true greats.

But I guess if you're not Slick Rick you're doing it wrong.

Yep.  :) 

Haha. Not even close to the top ten. There is no way he is top ten. That's just crazy talk. Same reason Busta Rhymes fell off, he was just as passionate and possibly a better overall rapper...but not close to top ten.

When every song sounds the same...it get's lame and tired quickly.

Kool Moe Dee is easily higher on the list than DMX.

Ahh, Kool Moe Dee. Now that really takes me back... [wavy dissolve into memory sequence]

Its a mixture of a tough crowd here and people who smoked more than DMX to not consider the man top 30 hell some said not even top 50 WTF.

I keep hearing how he dropped off after the 3rd album **** Biggie had 2 good albums (yes life was cut short), and NAS other than Illmattic the rest of his **** was very lacking for awhile. Ememim had 2 great albums Slim Shady and Marshall LP then his **** went down hard so is he not in the top 30?

There was NOONE and I mean NO ONE that brought the passion that DMX did when he was on top, Its Dark and Hell is Hot is CRAZY! Flesh of my Flesh Blood of my blood was HOT! Then there was X was good and The Great Depression was also good, everything after that I agree the drugs knocked him right off the map but don't discredit the mans work, your talking about 7 years of being the top MC.

I am by no way saying he is better than Biggie cause he is NOT or even Em I was just using them to the only had 3 good album claim most everyone replyed with to knock the man down. DMX is a top 10 MC imo and shouldn't make it out the top 20 from most peoples list. When he put on a show the man gave it everything he had, the guy lived the life pretty much he rapped about his entire career.

Biggie/Nas/Em = lyricists

DMX = not so much

This is why those guys are so revered.  I'd honestly lump DMX with rappers like Ja Rule.  Respected...but no where near being a top 20/30 MC.  If you're going off of showmanship, sure.  However, there is much more to rap than that. 

Recovery was probably his 4th best album to that point.

I'd go..

MMLP

SSLP

Eminem Show

Recovery

Encore

Relapse

Encore and Relapse were just awful. Curtain Call was mostly greatest hits, right?

I think when the dust settles we will put MMLP2 somewhere around Eminem Show, probably slightly below.

That's fair and yes, Curtain Call was a greatest hits album but had a few new tracks like When I'm Gone(a pretty deep song) and Shake That. 

Why does everybody have to be hating on Ja Rule? Dude always had a bangin hook back in the day lol ....

That's fair and yes, Curtain Call was a greatest hits album but had a few new tracks like When I'm Gone(a pretty deep song) and Shake That.

Why does everybody have to be hating on Ja Rule? Dude always had a bangin hook back in the day lol ....

Veni Viti Vici was great and his second album was OK. Then he got too big for his britches and started talking **** about Em and 50. That rap battle ended quickly.

Common is BORING, Ghostface never liked him imo he is horrible, GZA come on man better than Pharoahe, Aceyalone, MF Doom and whatever weak ass underground rapper you want to bring out. IMO if you want to be top 10 you have to appeal to main and underground I am very suprised you ain't say Tech 9 and 50 other undergound rappers. I understand the complex style of hiphop but come on man at least make it interesting, where is the versitiltiy DMX spit with fire and passion one of the most enjoyable rappers to listen to you.

You talk about the versatility that DMX had...however, to me, he has no MEMORABLE lines.  None.  He has some good songs, but lyrically, he's subpar.  Being a good showman and being a good rapper are two different things.  DMX is only one of those. 

Common is on another level.  Always has been. 

Are we forgetting about Method Man, Wale, Big Pun, Fat Joe, Ludacris, Doug E Fresh, etc...

Oh Please...

Wale, Method Man, big Pun, Fat Joe, Ludacris, Doug E Fresh better than DMX hahaha please hell no only Dougie is and always will be remembered and that wasn't because his flow more of his beat box and producing.

You talk about the versatility that DMX had...however, to me, he has no MEMORABLE lines.  None.  He has some good songs, but lyrically, he's subpar.  Being a good showman and being a good rapper are two different things.  DMX is only one of those. 

Common is on another level.  Always has been. 

rather watch paint dry silently than listen to common rap while paint is drying.

Common is BORING, Ghostface never liked him imo he is horrible, GZA come on man better than Pharoahe, Aceyalone, MF Doom and whatever weak ass underground rapper you want to bring out. IMO if you want to be top 10 you have to appeal to main and underground I am very suprised you ain't say Tech 9 and 50 other undergound rappers. I understand the complex style of hiphop but come on man at least make it interesting, where is the versitiltiy DMX spit with fire and passion one of the most enjoyable rappers to listen to you.

It's about content kid. Wordplay. Delivering your message in a clever and poignant way. DMX is none of that. He raps in the same way with that overdone growl. He's a gimmick rapper for little white teenagers from the suburbs.

Wale, Method Man, big Pun, Fat Joe, Ludacris, Doug E Fresh better than DMX hahaha please hell no only Dougie is and always will be remembered and that wasn't because his flow more of his beat box and producing.

rather watch paint dry silently than listen to common rap while paint is drying.

Drying paint probably has more lyrical ability than DMX.  Just sayin'. 

It's about content kid. Wordplay. Delivering your message in a clever and poignant way. DMX is none of that. He raps in the same way with that overdone growl. He's a gimmick rapper for little white teenagers from the suburbs.

This is the dumbest argument I've heard about this. Jay-Z, Biggie, Snoop, Dre, Tupac, Kanye. All beloved by suburban white kids. I guess that also makes them whack rappers too.

Have to be unknown to be legit apparently.

Drying paint probably has more lyrical ability than DMX.  Just sayin'. 

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark.

This is the dumbest argument I've heard about this. Jay-Z, Biggie, Snoop, Dre, Tupac, Kanye. All beloved by suburban white kids. I guess that also makes them whack rappers too.

Have to be unknown to be legit apparently.

My point is that DMX is gimmick.  Forget the, "white suburban teenager," part.  The rest of my post is veracity.

It's not about being known smart guy.  It's about being ill on the mic.  What is DMX's subject matter?  Has he ever spit a dope double entendre or simile.  No, it's the same street thug **** with, "bark bark grrrr where my dawgs at?!"  Please.

Great emcees can cover multiple subjects with- from social commentary to self-reflection to simple braggadocio.  They can tell stories with imagery.  They can spit dope punchlines.  DMX....nah.

There is very little that I can say I am knowledgeable about.  Hip hop is not one of those.  It has been a passion of mine since I was 13 and for someone to tell me DMX is one of the best rappers ever is an insult.

My point is that DMX is gimmick. Forget the, "white suburban teenager," part. The rest of my post is veracity.

It's not about being known smart guy. It's about being ill on the mic. What is DMX's subject matter? Has he ever spit a dope double entendre or simile. No, it's the same street thug **** with, "bark bark grrrr where my dawgs at?!" Please.

Great emcees can cover multiple subjects with- from social commentary to self-reflection to simple braggadocio. They can tell stories with imagery. They can spit dope punchlines. DMX....nah.

There is very little that I can say I am knowledgeable about. Hip hop is not one of those. It has been a passion of mine since I was 13 and for someone to tell me DMX is one of the best rappers ever is an insult.

I don't see DMX as a gimmick.

I see him as a rugged rapper from the streets that wasn't ever able to escape the streets. His early work was some of the best in rap in my opinion. I think what he rapped about on his first two albums reflect the life he was living.

He wasn't some child star like Drake.

I'm not saying he is in line to be best overall or really even top 10. He's probably somewhere close to that for me though. I'm surprised that he doesn't get that kind of credit here and what I'm hearing are hipster arguments to why he sucks.

Lyrically was he NAS hell no but yall straight up discrediting the man he had good lyrics, Let Me Fly, Slippin, Here We Go Again was solid on the lyrical front. Did he have a vocabulary over 10 letters maybe not but that doesn't mean you don't have good lyrics.

Damien. ATF. Stop Being Greedy.

Archived