Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does DMX rank among the hip hop greats?

Big Weirdo

For some reason I felt compelled to put on Its Dark And Hell Is Hot this weekend and then I just kind of went through DMX's discography chronologically from there. There is definitely a drop off after his third album. But honestly his first three albums are so good. I love all three of them.

And Then There Was X seems to have a more radio friendly vibe but it's still fun to listen to. The first two are classics especially It's Dark And Hell Is Hot. I think he's underrated. Not the greatest but is he in the top 20? 30? 5?

DMX was top 10 easily back in the day for me.  Besides Pac and Biggy, it was Snoop, Jay-Z, DMX, NAS, Ice Cube and everyone else.  I don't like rap at all but back then it was different.  Now we have nothing but garbage in the rap industry.  It's just too bad DMX will go down as a crackhead, not a rapper.  My favorite tracks (alot of them but I'll keep limited to 2) are Stop Being Greedy and Slippin.  

It's Dark and Hell is Hot is one of the best rap albums ever. So raw and aggressive.

It really is. It's a classic without question. Flesh of my Flesh is good, too, not as good but it's great for a sophomore follow up.

I think he's being knocked down a few for being crazy. But most good artists are so I can't knock him for that. The real problem is that he just fell off I think after his third album.

I still have a place for him in my own personal list.

Not in the discussion IMO.  IDAHIH could be on a list of top rap debuts ever but certainly it is not in the league of People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, Enter the Wu, Paid in Full, Illmatic, Ready to Die, College Dropout, No One Can Do It Better (heavily under-appreciated) etc.

Hip Hop is the cultureRap is one of the 5 elements.

Mc'ing is one of the 5 elements. DMX is an mc. So was guru. But they are totally different.

To me there is a distinct difference between de la soul or the roots or jungle brothers or epmd or gangstarr and guys like dmx. One is hip hop, the other is rap, I guess for lack of a better term.

Mc'ing is one of the 5 elements. DMX is an mc. So was guru. But they are totally different.

To me there is a distinct difference between de la soul or the roots or jungle brothers or epmd or gangstarr and guys like dmx. One is hip hop, the other is rap, I guess for lack of a better term.

yeah, you're right here. I gotta here. He was not a lyricist.

Nowhere near the top IMO

So here's a few rappers that I think DMX are better than. 50 Cent, Busta Rhymes, Ja Rule, the Lox, Puff Daddy, the Game.

I don't think he's better than Eminem, Jay Z, Tupac, Biggie, Dre.

I dont think hes better than the Game.  And why did you put Dre lol?  Unless you mean Andre 3000

Nowhere near the top IMO

I dont think hes better than the Game. And why did you put Dre lol? Unless you mean Andre 3000

As far as epic albums go Chronic and Chronic 2001 are up there. Granted, It was more about the beats but Dre was behind both of those albums.

I'd say I think DMX is about as good as Outkast or Snoop. It's different though. DMX was one of the best grimy rapper out there. He was just intense and raw and there wasn't anyone who compared to that. Ja Rule tried it but he couldn't match DMX at all.

Archived