Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does DMX rank among the hip hop greats?

Big Weirdo

^ Big L rest in peace.

I'm making it sound like DMX is trash.  He isn't.  I wouldn't say he is all that great either.  Like I said in my first post in the thread, DMX spit with lots of passion and vigor.  I don't doubt that he dealt with hardship and he genuinely portrayed that in his raps.  He was indeed rugged, and a hell of a lot better than any shiny suit rapper talking about Bentleys and Cristal.  I just don't think he was all that insightful, distinct, or clever.  And I'm not sure what a hipster argument is.

That's it, no more debating for me.  I'm gonna bump O.C.- Jewelz and write these assessments.

DMX was in my top 10 he was a true artist, that being said do he belong in the top 10 among the greats maybe not but certainly top 20 IMO. Dude just got caught up in the life and it completley turned his career around  however he gave you 5 to 7 years of hit after hit after hit.

There is NOTHING lyrical about DMX.  Nothing.  If you're talking about top 10/20 MCs, you'd have a lyric you could spit instantly that sums up their greatness.  I've been a hip-hop head for as long as I can remember, but if it isn't a hook from a DMX song, then he's got nothing.  It's no knock on him, because he had his run.  But to say he's one of the greatest to ever do it is flat out insulting to other guys who were actually good at their craft.  You know...like actually rhyming. 

Lyrically was he NAS hell no but yall straight up discrediting the man he had good lyrics, Let Me Fly, Slippin, Here We Go Again was solid on the lyrical front. Did he have a vocabulary over 10 letters maybe not but that doesn't mean you don't have good lyrics.

You just ethered your ENTIRE argument and pretty much summed up Waka Flocka and Chief Keef.  DMX...cut from the same cloth. 

My point in DMX was really the passion with which he has over his first few albums. I mean I honestly don't know where I'd put him. He's not in my top 10 for sure. Maybe not top 20 but not in someone's top 80? Please.

Sometimes music and rap is more than just a guy being clever with a couple of strategically placed words. Eminem is really an example of where the passion and the intelligence meet. Which is why he's up there with the greats.

DMX is who he is. A dirty ass grimy son of a ****. And he doesn't pretend to be anything else. I'll take that any day over Fat Joe. Jesus. Someone actually said Fat Joe.

Btw I really enjoy debates like this. This one turned fiesty I like that.

Thanks to everyone for keeping it ONE HUNDRED.

Fat Joe is lucky he knew Big Pun. You know, the one who was actually talented.

As far as DMX, there are plenty of lyrics that stick out to me. ATF for one. Money, Power Respect. Damien. I completely disgree that he had no lyrical ability and think it's ridiculous that someone would compare him to Wakka Flakka (or most current rappers for that matter). He was leagues above any of those ringtone rappers out now.

Ok I may have been overboard but that dude is comparing DMX to Wacka Flacka and Keef. Wow disrespect to the highest level right there. He didn't just had his time he had almost a whole decade, and half of that he was the best in the game.

At no point was DMX ever the best rapper.  Ever. 

Blasphemy.

its only blasphemous because we been programmed to think Nas was crap post Illmatic and only came back for Stilmatic

If you listen to It Was Written and tell me that album isnt good, then I just cant trust your opinion on the music.

Nas is whack. There. I said it.

*doesnt trusts*

Ok I may have been overboard but that dude is comparing DMX to Wacka Flacka and Keef. Wow disrespect to the highest level right there. He didn't just had his time he had almost a whole decade, and half of that he was the best in the game.

How do you NOT understand what I was getting at with comparing DMX to Waka/Keef?  I laid it out simply for you.  How it's going over your head is baffling. 

Also, please explain how DMX had a 15 year run in the game.  LOL.  You can't be serious.  Dude had a 4-5 year run of relevancy. 

How do you NOT understand what I was getting at with comparing DMX to Waka/Keef? I laid it out simply for you. How it's going over your head is baffling.

Also, please explain how DMX had a 15 year run in the game. LOL. You can't be serious. Dude had a 4-5 year run of relevancy.

Except I've never heard anything from Waka that I'd consider hard, raw, gangster, grimy, whatever you want to call it. I couldn't name a Keef song if you had a gun to my head.

I suppose you could say Wakas music gets people hyped... at a club. I don't really think DMX's music was very club friendly.

Except I've never heard anything from Waka that I'd consider hard, raw, gangster, grimy, whatever you want to call it. I couldn't name a Keef song if you had a gun to my head.

I suppose you could say Wakas music gets people hyped... at a club. I don't really think DMX's music was very club friendly.

Probably hear a lot of DMX **** at The Tunnel in NYC back in the day.  NYC always had a place in their clubs for guys like DMX, Mobb Deep, Lox, etc. 

How do you NOT understand what I was getting at with comparing DMX to Waka/Keef? I laid it out simply for you. How it's going over your head is baffling.

Also, please explain how DMX had a 15 year run in the game. LOL. You can't be serious. Dude had a 4-5 year run of relevancy.

I said a decade 10 years and half of the 10 years which is 5 he was considered the best in the game by many him and Jigga.

Just mentioning Keef and DMX is totally wrong period on what ever stupid point you was trying to make.

I said a decade 10 years and half of the 10 years which is 5 he was considered the best in the game by many him and Jigga.

Just mentioning Keef and DMX is totally wrong period on what ever stupid point you was trying to make.

What 10 year run did he have?  LOL.  You already killed your own argument on the last page.  You're like the Jon Snow of ES.  You know nothing. 

Archived